E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > How loud is Performance Exhuast vs Muffler Delete?

05-01-2014, 12:32 AM   #1
PNWN54
MR. Rocket
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 335i M-Sport

Garage List
Talking How loud is Performance Exhuast vs Muffler Delete?

This question arose in my mind a couple of times but didn't get resolved until the day I swapped my muffler delete with BMW Performance Exhaust. Now, this is just a short example of a cold start. These two exhaust mods resonate completely different(inside and outside) but in real volume, they're probably about the same, if not the PE being a bit louder at peak rpms. What I love about PE is that it can be really tame and subtle or a roaring lion when wanted. The next question I have, how do I amplify the exhaust sound in my cabin?

Appreciate 0
      05-01-2014, 01:49 AM   #2
uberbeast21
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 e92 335i

Garage List
2009 BMW 335i  [0.00]
You can always go catless for more power and sound

Appreciate 0
      05-01-2014, 10:41 AM   #3
PNWN54
MR. Rocket
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Thanks! I can't make up my mind if I should go with down pipes or delete my secondary cats.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2014, 10:56 AM   #4
AlpineSwift
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335Xi Coupé

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock&Roll
Thanks! I can't make up my mind if I should go with down pipes or delete my secondary cats.
Keep your secondaries and run downpipes. I have race cats in my mid pipes to cut down on the fumes (whole mid pipe back PE came off a previous customer e92 at ar design already assembled so it was a no brainer decision to combo with their DP's). Sound is very exotic, loud, and zero drone. Only complaint I have is cold start scares the shit out of anyone not ready for it within ear shot, but I've learned to live with it. Neighbors haven't shot me yet so I guess they don't mind either.
E92 '08 335Xi 6AT - Cobb AP3 Tuned by MAC Autosport, Original Prototype Xi DOCRace 6266 Single Turbo Swap, VRSF CP w/Synapse BOV, VRSF 7" FMIC, BMS Cowl, H&R Coilovers, Renn Motorsport RS-51's, Stoptech Stage 2 Slotted, xHP Stage 3, Earl's Racing Oil Cooler, Turner Boost Gauge, M3 Lip Spoiler.
Standing Mile Record Holder for Xi over a mile high: 168.2MPH @ 5512'; The Colorado Mile hosted by The US Mile.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2014, 12:08 AM   #5
PNWN54
MR. Rocket
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpineSwift View Post
Keep your secondaries and run downpipes. I have race cats in my mid pipes to cut down on the fumes (whole mid pipe back PE came off a previous customer e92 at ar design already assembled so it was a no brainer decision to combo with their DP's). Sound is very exotic, loud, and zero drone. Only complaint I have is cold start scares the shit out of anyone not ready for it within ear shot, but I've learned to live with it. Neighbors haven't shot me yet so I guess they don't mind either.
Hey AlpineSwift, I'm surprised you haven't gotten any complaints about your exhaust! My neighbors would've put a cork in my exhausts and as a bonus slit my tires. That's why I park my car inside the garage.
Do you have any clips of your exhaust?

On the serious note, it looks like deleting second cats would be only doing what N55 coupes have. Which I am assuming isn't as loud as deleting primary cats?
I've been getting really accustomed this exhaust and it seems to be getting quieter and quieter in my ears. Almost too quite.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2014, 12:25 AM   #6
AlpineSwift
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335Xi Coupé

Official Video from ar design after it was installed.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v...ages_video_set

I've gotten so used to it and my neighbors haven't had anything bad to say to me apart from cold start being a bit startling to them. Pretty easy to sneak through the neighborhood at low revs late at night so I'm happy.
E92 '08 335Xi 6AT - Cobb AP3 Tuned by MAC Autosport, Original Prototype Xi DOCRace 6266 Single Turbo Swap, VRSF CP w/Synapse BOV, VRSF 7" FMIC, BMS Cowl, H&R Coilovers, Renn Motorsport RS-51's, Stoptech Stage 2 Slotted, xHP Stage 3, Earl's Racing Oil Cooler, Turner Boost Gauge, M3 Lip Spoiler.
Standing Mile Record Holder for Xi over a mile high: 168.2MPH @ 5512'; The Colorado Mile hosted by The US Mile.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2014, 10:05 PM   #7
PNWN54
MR. Rocket
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpineSwift View Post
Official Video from ar design after it was installed.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v...ages_video_set

I've gotten so used to it and my neighbors haven't had anything bad to say to me apart from cold start being a bit startling to them. Pretty easy to sneak through the neighborhood at low revs late at night so I'm happy.
Alpine, thanks for the vid! Sounds beast

I think I've made up my mind. Downpipes are probably the smartest choice, considering the power gains are unbeatable. Plus, it will sounds great too!
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2014, 12:49 AM   #8
nitehawk
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: e92 335i 6MT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock&Roll View Post
Alpine, thanks for the vid! Sounds beast

I think I've made up my mind. Downpipes are probably the smartest choice, considering the power gains are unbeatable. Plus, it will sounds great too!
You will need resonators with downpipes and PE othewise you will have rasp city
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2014, 10:01 AM   #9
PNWN54
MR. Rocket
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitehawk View Post
You will need resonators with downpipes and PE othewise you will have rasp city
Nitehawk, I haven't really noticed much rasp with just downpipes, unless if you remove second cats. Seems like downpipes make the engines vocal range just a little more aggressive than it is.
Do you have a PE with downpipes? Please let me know.
Appreciate 0