E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Turbo siren whistle noise

05-07-2014, 06:24 PM   #1
MichaelBlake
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335xi

Turbo siren whistle noise

delete

Last edited by MichaelBlake; 05-05-2015 at 11:06 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2014, 06:42 PM   #2
BoostinBiscayne
Rep
Drives: 2008 e93

Don't worry about the turbo whine/siren/whistle, it becomes more pronounced as you add modifications that help increase air intake intake and exhaust more efficiently, and the turbo's spool sooner etc. By the time I was done with the intake, fmic, kittyless dp, jb4, backend flashing etc, I was on the forums looking up the "dreaded siren of death=turbo failure." That was months ago. Just focus on fixing up the downpipe making contact with the chassis and look up how to fix wastegate rattle using the JB4. You'll be alright.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2014, 06:43 PM   #3
BoostinBiscayne
Rep
Drives: 2008 e93

Forgot to mention, that my car/turbos are fine, A OK.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2014, 06:51 PM   #4
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoostinBiscayne View Post
Don't worry about the turbo whine/siren/whistle, it becomes more pronounced as you add modifications that help increase air intake intake and exhaust more efficiently, and the turbo's spool sooner etc. By the time I was done with the intake, fmic, kittyless dp, jb4, backend flashing etc, I was on the forums looking up the "dreaded siren of death=turbo failure." That was months ago. Just focus on fixing up the downpipe making contact with the chassis and look up how to fix wastegate rattle using the JB4. You'll be alright.
+1
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2014, 08:53 PM   #5
cwarren
Captain
Rep
Drives: 08 e92

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelBlake View Post
just a few weeks ago i installed an aFe intake and jb4 g5 and I've noticed that when accelerating in first and second gear there is a whistle noise and I'm thinking its my turbos. Ive seen a few other post about this but i wanted help. obviously I really don't want to replace the turbos, I'm just out of warranty.. 41k. I'm also getting the wastegate rattle. i drive the car everyday and but want this fixed. I think I'm going to take the jb4 and intake off and go from there.

I also have vrsf dps which is another story actually. i picked the wrong shop (mostly work on jam cars) and they had trouble with the install and wanted to hurry and decided to do some welding... my car has a terrible rattle because the dps are touching the frame of the car now but I've had this problem but haven't had the chance to take my car back and have them fix it. i plan on going back soon i just hope they will do it for free.

just looking for more info and if anyone has had a similar problem. thanks
super curious what you mean by did some welding ?
      05-07-2014, 09:11 PM   #6
MichaelBlake
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwarren View Post
i was told the downpipes didnt fit and needed to be cut, adjusted and welded back.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2014, 06:46 AM   #7
bigdaddycane
I even mod my cereal
Rep
Drives: 11 ZCP DCT M3 14 328d 21 GT4

Garage List
take a look at your REAR turbo inlet tube that goes over the back of the motor, more importantly where it connects to the rear turbo. I just went through this issue two weeks ago. If you put too much torque on that tube when installing your new intake you *could* have dislodged it from the rear turbo down below. The connection point to the rear turbo is not a clamp, but a sh!tty little bracket arm that can get pushed out of place. You need to be very careful when installing any intake and certain ones with brackets (ETS) can torque the tube the wrong way (this is what I went through). To see if the inlet tube is off the rear turbo you will need to jack the car up and take the under panels off. The rear inlet tube is in a dark corner, but if you follow the rear DP up you can see if the inlet tube is not connected to the turbo housing. You will not be able to push it back on from underneath, but if you manipulate the inlet tube up TOP you can get it back into place.

As far as your downpipes, you should not have a fittment issue. It sounds like your shop is not familiar with installing DPs on an N54?
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2014, 11:03 AM   #8
davidwarren
Captain
Rep
Drives: 328,325, 325, 335, X5, 640 GC

Quote:
i was told the downpipes didnt fit and needed to be cut, adjusted and welded back.
they didn't install them correctly then.
      05-08-2014, 11:13 AM   #9
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwarren View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidwarren View Post
they didn't install them correctly then.
+1 on that also. OP please avoid that shop for future installs.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2014, 12:45 PM   #10
railesq
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i w/xDrive

Garage List
2009 335xi  [0.00]
Isn't there a different downpipe fitment for xi? If not I'd like to know too, since I'm in the market currently, but my guess is the shop did the crap thing and shoved the square peg in the round hole, rather than just try and get the downpipes traded out for the right ones.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2014, 12:58 PM   #11
bigdaddycane
I even mod my cereal
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by railesq View Post
Isn't there a different downpipe fitment for xi? If not I'd like to know too, since I'm in the market currently, but my guess is the shop did the crap thing and shoved the square peg in the round hole, rather than just try and get the downpipes traded out for the right ones.
yes, there are specific DPs for the Xi models.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2014, 01:43 PM   #12
MichaelBlake
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdaddycane View Post
take a look at your REAR turbo inlet tube that goes over the back of the motor, more importantly where it connects to the rear turbo. I just went through this issue two weeks ago. If you put too much torque on that tube when installing your new intake you *could* have dislodged it from the rear turbo down below. The connection point to the rear turbo is not a clamp, but a sh!tty little bracket arm that can get pushed out of place. You need to be very careful when installing any intake and certain ones with brackets (ETS) can torque the tube the wrong way (this is what I went through). To see if the inlet tube is off the rear turbo you will need to jack the car up and take the under panels off. The rear inlet tube is in a dark corner, but if you follow the rear DP up you can see if the inlet tube is not connected to the turbo housing. You will not be able to push it back on from underneath, but if you manipulate the inlet tube up TOP you can get it back into place.

As far as your downpipes, you should not have a fittment issue. It sounds like your shop is not familiar with installing DPs on an N54?
ill have to do this next week. is it okay to drive the car for now or are there other possible problems if i don't fix it right away?

i know the shop was a bad choice it was their second time working with an n54 and i know not to go there again. i only picked the place because my brother is there often (drives an STI).
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2014, 01:49 PM   #13
bigdaddycane
I even mod my cereal
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
ill have to do this next week. is it okay to drive the car for now or are there other possible problems if i don't fix it right away?
yeah, its ok....I drove mine a while that way....cuz I didn't know (symptoms were mild)

the main issue is that the turbo *could* pull dirt and dust in and possibly damage the compressor wheel, but with the splash pan in place and the gap being very slight that's probably not going to happen.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2014, 01:55 PM   #14
chepy24
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2009 alpine white 335i xdrive

Quote:

i know the shop was a bad choice it was their second time working with an n54 and i know not to go there again. i only picked the place because my brother is there often (drives an STI).
thats why they work on subies lol my buddy has a wrx and his car is cake to work on he watched as i installed my dp on the xi he was like f that haha gotta know the car sucks they had to do welding id flip on them haha
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2014, 04:07 PM   #15
AlpineSwift
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335Xi Coupé

My siren noise went away after dp install so I wouldn't worry about it.
E92 '08 335Xi 6AT - Cobb AP3 Tuned by MAC Autosport, Original Prototype Xi DOCRace 6266 Single Turbo Swap, VRSF CP w/Synapse BOV, VRSF 7" FMIC, BMS Cowl, H&R Coilovers, Renn Motorsport RS-51's, Stoptech Stage 2 Slotted, xHP Stage 3, Earl's Racing Oil Cooler, Turner Boost Gauge, M3 Lip Spoiler.
Standing Mile Record Holder for Xi over a mile high: 168.2MPH @ 5512'; The Colorado Mile hosted by The US Mile.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2014, 08:49 PM   #16
FrankyGTR
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: N54 335i 6MT-R32GTR

i have afe intake i ONLY get this siren noise for a second when getting off WOT in 1st and 2nd.i only notticed this noise when i deleted the cowl.otherwise no siren only normal turbo spool sound.i figured it was normal since i never heard it untill the day i removed the cowl.

at first i thought the was a cop near by lol
      03-03-2018, 01:30 PM   #17
fozzydj
DIYer, 335i N54 lover
Rep
Drives: N54 BMW 355i SE 2007, 148,000

Quote:
I bought a set of cheapo’s at £170 and my mechanic got them on fine, there sound as a pound.

I get a slight whistling since having them fitted. Its extremely cold over here at the moment (UK), like -1, -2 degrees C on a morning. Im interested to see if I still get it when it warms up abit, Ive read it can be due to temp.

Fozz
Appreciate 0