E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Cv Wont Go Back In Hub Any Ideas?

05-07-2014, 07:11 PM   #1
MR. BONEZ
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 335I 6MT

Cv Wont Go Back In Hub Any Ideas?

Well trying to re-install my cv-shaft back in the hub but cant get it to go back in for the life of me and im out of ideas. Anyone else have any ideas to try and get it back in? Thanks in advance!!!!
      05-07-2014, 09:33 PM   #2
Tiago@VRSF
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Garage List
Clean the hub and use a bit more force

Use a wire brush, that usually helps.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2014, 07:06 AM   #3
MR. BONEZ
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Its a brand new hub and I got little arms haha and the cv shaft is brand new to
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2014, 07:25 AM   #4
mankytron
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335 coupe

Try to keep it square with the hub while you rotate it back and forth a bit. Also use some grease or antisize on the cv splines
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2014, 08:33 AM   #5
cadillacgrills
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW E92 6 MT

in for results..

I'll be doing the same this weekend, pls post what works for you!!
      05-08-2014, 08:55 AM   #6
MR. BONEZ
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mankytron View Post
Try to keep it square with the hub while you rotate it back and forth a bit. Also use some grease or antisize on the cv splines
Tried all of that to no avail I have even gone as far to freezing the cv shaft over night.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2014, 08:57 AM   #7
MR. BONEZ
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillacgrills View Post
I'll be doing the same this weekend, pls post what works for you!!
Hope you have better luck my car has been down a month + from waiting for parts and trying yo get it back together.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2014, 09:13 AM   #8
Tiago@VRSF
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Double check each part number, make sure you received the correct items. Also wouldn't hurt to take a picture of the splines and behind the hub so we can see if there's something you're missing.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2014, 09:38 AM   #9
cadillacgrills
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR. BONEZ View Post
Hope you have better luck my car has been down a month + from waiting for parts and trying yo get it back together.
So far it's been a challenge, while i had everything down, found a worn wheel bearing and the e brake/dust shield ring was bent somehow, replacing those as well. been down 2 weeks and counting...although, i've been pretty lucky with finding parts thru ecs tuning...it's been difficult getting everything apart to get to the wheel bearing hoping everything goes back a lot easier than it was to take it apart. good luck with yours!!
      05-08-2014, 09:48 AM   #10
cadillacgrills
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
just noticed we have same model...did you actually snap your axle? is your car lowered by chance? mine is lowered but not slammed. i've seen the axles are a weak point with a few guys running close to 500hp, but didn't think i had enough to break it. WRONG. and maybe the worn bearing contributed as well. due to several circumstances, I needed to replace with an oem axle, having been thru this, not sure how much confidence i'll have with the car now.
      05-08-2014, 10:33 AM   #11
MR. BONEZ
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillacgrills View Post
just noticed we have same model...did you actually snap your axle? is your car lowered by chance? mine is lowered but not slammed. i've seen the axles are a weak point with a few guys running close to 500hp, but didn't think i had enough to break it. WRONG. and maybe the worn bearing contributed as well. due to several circumstances, I needed to replace with an oem axle, having been thru this, not sure how much confidence i'll have with the car now.
No im not lowered have the sport suspension though and ya I snaped mine at the joint by the differential while street racing in texas.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2014, 06:17 PM   #12
mankytron
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Tried all of that to no avail I have even gone as far to freezing the cv shaft over night.
Maybe new hub has a burr at the edge. Does the old hub still slide on easy?
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2014, 08:36 PM   #13
MR. BONEZ
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mankytron View Post
Maybe new hub has a burr at the edge. Does the old hub still slide on easy?
Nope thats the reason I bought a new hub.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2014, 11:34 PM   #14
Tiago@VRSF
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Could be a defect with the axle or possibly the incorrect part. Does the old axle slide into the new hub?
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2014, 03:25 AM   #15
MR. BONEZ
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiago@VRSF View Post
Could be a defect with the axle or possibly the incorrect part. Does the old axle slide into the new hub?
No it does not it dont even slide into the old hub you should of seen how much of a PITA is was to get out.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2014, 04:47 AM   #16
pits200
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 335i X-Drive Black Sapphire

Get a big socket and put it around the collar and hit it a few times with a hammer. I know inward impact isn't good for the axle but desperate times call for desperate measures
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2014, 07:13 AM   #17
mankytron
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
No it does not it dont even slide into the old hub you should of seen how much of a PITA is was to get out.
Are the splines on the axle perfectly clean. A good wire bush on a drill, or scraping each out with a small screwdriver may help. When they are clean and lubed they should slide on/off with little effort. Could they have sent you the wrong hub?
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2014, 09:54 AM   #18
Tony@vargasturbotech
Banned
Rep
Drives: N54

They do not really slide in easy new or not, I got brand new axles from DSS, and they were just as tough to get it as the old ones were to get out. This was after doing extensive wire brush cleaning on the hub, taking a pick and cleaning each spline individually, and using good anti sieze, still have to use force to get them in, once you get enough threads through to start the nut, just start it and use the air gun, it will easily suck it the rest of the way through. What you are dealing with is normal.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2014, 08:26 PM   #19
MR. BONEZ
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vargasturbotech View Post
They do not really slide in easy new or not, I got brand new axles from DSS, and they were just as tough to get it as the old ones were to get out. This was after doing extensive wire brush cleaning on the hub, taking a pick and cleaning each spline individually, and using good anti sieze, still have to use force to get them in, once you get enough threads through to start the nut, just start it and use the air gun, it will easily suck it the rest of the way through. What you are dealing with is normal.
Well this being normal is a PITA lol.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2021, 05:31 PM   #20
DougInAmbler
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 328xi

I was also stuck trying to re-insert the axle into the hub spline.
This was after replacing ABS Reluctor Ring on my 2011 BMW 328ix.

I succeeded with patient brute force.
I do not have an air hammer for vibration, that would be good.

First, I spent some hours cleaning male and female splines to shiny, and filing down any perceived burrs or dings. Applied regular grease. Still could only push axle into hub a little more than half way.
Then I beat with sledge hammer, against 2x6 up against the wheel hub. This only got the axle end flush with the outside face of the hub, no threads accessible.
It seemed that was as far as it was going to go.
Having no other options, I decided to try harder, that is, with more effective sledge hammer blows.
I removed 2 of the 3 ball joints (now only snug after I busted them loose in disassembly), leaving only the steering tie-rod connected.
Then to keep the hub from flopping around I propped it with wood and rubber in a position that kept the double-jointed axle pretty straight. This gave the hub the best possible recoil with each strike.
Then I set a 4x6 small timber against the hub and smacked it with my sledge hammer, with all I had.
It moved, maybe 1/64".
After 10 more careful maximum blows, it had come out 1/8" so I knew it was working.
After 20 or 30 more hits, I could get the axle nut on, tightened it just a bit, to avoid stripping the threads.
Whacked again with sledge, yay! nut was now loose, tightened a bit more.
Continued whacking and tightening, carefully avoiding stripping that thread.
After about 30 minutes the axle nut bottomed out and I applied final torque via 1/2" breaker bar on the 36mm 12 point socket, with 3' steel pipe extension.

Car runs great, no more error for 4x4, traction control, ABS.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2021, 02:57 PM   #21
plmbst
Rep
Drives: 2009 x drive touring

Douginambler, I had the same problem assembling the axle into the hub. I tapped, heavily, with a lump hammer and all around the disc until a few threads showed then used an air gun to pull it all the way in.
Peter S
Appreciate 0