F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > M4 Autocar first drive review up
Extreme Powerhouse

05-08-2014, 05:49 PM   #1
bwrlane
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 340i F31 MPPSK

M4 Autocar first drive review up

http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-review/...t-drive-review

enjoy
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2014, 06:33 PM   #2
E90F30er
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Pre-LCI E90 320i

Can we have a dedicated thread to just all magazine reviews of M4 coupe and M3 saloon?
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2014, 12:32 AM   #3
gtsussex
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: SMB M3 CP with lots of carbon

Interesting. Now I've committed to going down putting springs in 335d (and I might have possibly have decided to go for power increase #cough#), not sure I quite want to test drive one as with this investment, I'll be keeping the 335d for full four years (it had better be good after doing this work!).

Interesting what they are saying about it being a better all-rounder (an exceptionally talented one at that) but predictably the engine's lost its drama (the compromise of no longer using N/A engines). It will be very interesting 6 months into ownership how special owners still feel it is (hoping for them the answer is 'very'!). As an overall performance package, you can't help but be impressed.

We're trying an E92 M3 Convertible this weekend with a view to possibly picking up a good trade-in over the next 12 months that will be a sunny days keeper and can just live in the garage while the 335d piles on the miles. If buy right, as the last N/A car, I think it should hold its value okayish.

I'm still VERY VERY jealous of those with one on order but I know I've made the right (head) decision by cancelling going forwards with mine.

Lucky people
San Marino Blue M3 Competition Package with Carbon tat, ACS RS suspension, uprated brakes, 'modded' exhaust and a weeny bit more power courtesy of JF Automotive; M235i Convertible with ACS Sports Suspension; Disco 5 HSE Lux
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2014, 12:46 AM   #4
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: xxxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90F30er View Post
Can we have a dedicated thread to just all magazine reviews of M4 coupe and M3 saloon?
http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=594
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2014, 03:03 AM   #5
BMWSKI
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E63 AMG Saloon :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtsussex View Post
Interesting. Now I've committed to going down putting springs in 335d (and I might have possibly have decided to go for power increase #cough#), not sure I quite want to test drive one as with this investment, I'll be keeping the 335d for full four years (it had better be good after doing this work!).

Interesting what they are saying about it being a better all-rounder (an exceptionally talented one at that) but predictably the engine's lost its drama (the compromise of no longer using N/A engines). It will be very interesting 6 months into ownership how special owners still feel it is (hoping for them the answer is 'very'!). As an overall performance package, you can't help but be impressed.

We're trying an E92 M3 Convertible this weekend with a view to possibly picking up a good trade-in over the next 12 months that will be a sunny days keeper and can just live in the garage while the 335d piles on the miles. If buy right, as the last N/A car, I think it should hold its value okayish.

I'm still VERY VERY jealous of those with one on order but I know I've made the right (head) decision by cancelling going forwards with mine.

Lucky people
You doing the power upgrade too then?!
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2014, 03:13 AM   #6
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

Like a true knob I stayed online last night till the 11PM 'review embargo' was lifted. All seems generally positive, if anything a better Daily Driver than the E9X.

Really waiting for the Chris Harris Drive Review.
      05-09-2014, 03:20 AM   #7
gtsussex
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChesterM4 View Post
Like a true knob I stayed online last night till the 11PM 'review embargo' was lifted. All seems generally positive, if anything a better Daily Driver than the E9X.

Really waiting for the Chris Harris Drive Review.
So how many sleeps to go? I am very sure it's going to be an absolute cracker.
San Marino Blue M3 Competition Package with Carbon tat, ACS RS suspension, uprated brakes, 'modded' exhaust and a weeny bit more power courtesy of JF Automotive; M235i Convertible with ACS Sports Suspension; Disco 5 HSE Lux
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2014, 03:23 AM   #8
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtsussex View Post
So how many sleeps to go? I am very sure it's going to be an absolute cracker.
If I calculate the sleeps I might cry....assuming 1st September =
At least 120

The internet does not have enough videos or pictures to sustain 120 days of waiting!
EDIT: Better state I meant M3/4 pics and videos, you know, just in case you thought of anything else on the internet
      05-09-2014, 03:33 AM   #9
gtsussex
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChesterM4 View Post
If I calculate the sleeps I might cry....assuming 1st September =
At least 120

The internet does not have enough videos or pictures to sustain 120 days of waiting!
EDIT: Better state I meant M3/4 pics and videos, you know, just in case you thought of anything else on the internet
So that'll be pretty much every car mag bought over the next month (even the ones you didn't know existed) for a mention of an M3/4 test! I even bought the Car mag on iPad couple of weeks ago as I couldn't find a shop open with the actual mag.

Shall now read them without the frustration of waiting but just with pure envy
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2014, 08:49 AM   #10
Spoonhead
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3M Competition

Here's the M3 write up:

http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-review/...t-drive-review

And Steve Sutcliffe's view of turbo-charging the M3/4

http://m.autocar.co.uk/blogs/new-car...-bmw-m3-and-m4
      05-09-2014, 09:03 AM   #11
UK_
Captain
Rep
Drives: 911

Great review, thanks for sharing. Let's hope they don't slate the convertible and say all those handling qualities have been lost with the roof down. Not that I'll care too much on a summer's day!

Only a gizillion more sleeps to go!!
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2014, 10:51 AM   #12
chiefy
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 330d M Sport

Here's the topgear review

http://www.topgear.com/uk/car-news/b...drive-2014-5-8
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2014, 01:37 PM   #13
Tengocity
General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 911, Cayenne Turbo, Disco 4

So have now read most of the UK online reviews and it's clear the car has been very well developed. There seems to be a genuine sense of depth of engineering development over and above the standard cars, and for me this is really what made the M3 so special... that bespoke racecar for the road feel.

No surprise the engine is the area where reviewers feel a tad disappointed, but I just feel it is quite inevitable in this day and age, and I can't help but feel a car that can offer that performance and also stay north of 30mpg is going to be of more interest to more people; me included.

I can't help but think that M3 actually suffers more from the heritage than it benefits, with no end of "enthusiasts", reviewers, journos, all saying that it's losing what the M3 should really be about... Interestingly each one seems to think M3's stand for different things, be it manual gearboxes, normally aspirated engines, or straight 6 engines or whatever...

In reality I think they stand for whatever the pinnacle of the current 3 series ought to look like, and like someone developed it to go round a track as fast as possible (the original M3 was designed for this purpose), yet be perfectly happy on the road.

Based on that criteria it seems the BMW have nailed it.. suspension, steering, gearbox, ride, comfort, refinement, standard kit, looks and yes even the brakes all seem top notch! So the noise could be better... I'm sure Mr Akrapovic will soon oblige!

So when considered, not just in relation to a subjective opinion of what one thinks an M3 should be, based on previous cars, but rather compared to what else your £60k could buy you, or indeed how much you'd need to spend elsewhere to get that kind of all round package... the M3 actually looks like a conspicuous bargain!!!!
Current: Porsche 911 991 C4S, Porsche Cayenne Turbo, Land Rover Discovery 4. Gone...G01 X3 M40i, Cayman S 987, F31 340i, Cayman GT4, F82 M4 CP, Lotus Exige V6, G20 330e, F30 330e, Boxster S 987, F31 335d, Mini Cooper SD, E89 Z4, E90 330d 320d, E60 520d, E46 330d 320d, MX5s, E30 325i
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2014, 02:13 PM   #14
UK_
Captain
Rep
Drives: 911

Well said Tengo.

Seems like BMW have re-invented the modern M3 and created an awesome car for every occasion. Yes perhaps forced induction is a compromise but the reality is that it is, I think, the right way to go and the leap in torque is just phenomenal. It is also interesting that one review said it is more than just a 'quicker 435i'. It seems bespoke, fast, comfortable and rapid.

I remember seeing an E36 M3 when I was a school boy and I was transfixed. I think the current incarnation will do the same from school boy to adult and that sense of occasion is what an M is all
about for me.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2014, 02:45 PM   #15
E90F30er
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Pre-LCI E90 320i

Exclamation

May's issue of car magazine (out until 20 May) has the M3 as a cover story.

This Wednesday's issues of Autocar and Auto Express will have first drives articles of M3 / M4.
Appreciate 0