E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Valve Cover Bolts

05-09-2014, 05:24 AM   #1
R3N
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: None

Valve Cover Bolts

Can anyone definitively confirm that these are required to be replaced? If they are, then why are they not marked blue?

I have had some oil leaks from the Valve Cover area, and the gasket was changed once apparently. The problem I have is the workshop that did the work is now lying to me. The head mechanic at the time told me to bring it back, and they replaced the gasket again, but sure enough was still leaking after. That's when he said they needed to replace the bolts which will solve the issue. I specifically asked if they checked the Valve Cover itself for cracks or warping. He said they did and it wasn't cracked or warped. He has since left, and the owner of the shop is denying that the gasket was changed the second time even though I left my car with them there the whole day, and I knew they had done something to it.

Leaks are only minor, that seep onto the heatshield.

I am now going to get this fixed elsewhere, but want to find out if anyone had the experience where they replaced the gasket, which did not fix the leak and replacing the bolts after did. If so, then I can get away with doing the work myself and replacing bolts without pulling the VC off. Alternatively, as I cannot confirm what has been replaced, I will have no choice but to bite the bullet and buy the entire VC assembly for peace of mind.

Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2014, 09:07 AM   #2
cwarren
Captain
Rep
Drives: 08 e92

new cover comes with bolts. im pretty sure these are not aluminium and do not need replaced on removal .
      05-09-2014, 09:25 AM   #3
davidwarren
Captain
Rep
Drives: 328,325, 325, 335, X5, 640 GC

are you sure it is still leaking and not just oil from an old leak?
      05-09-2014, 10:59 AM   #4
Bimmer Barney
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011.5 E90M ZCP

By the book, yes they need replaced. Others have done the job and reused the bolts. I replaced them when I did the job.
      05-09-2014, 11:33 AM   #5
007_e350
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i 2008 MHD'd / x5d E70

I used the old ones, make sure to RTV that gasket if u're moded (both inside the VC and on the block)
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2014, 10:16 PM   #6
R3N
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Does BMW recommend replacement? Just wondering. If they did, why aren't they blue?

Definitely new leak, have been driving for months without the engine cover just so i can monitor after degreasing and after each drive, it comes back.

RTV may fix the issue if the gasket is not seated properly but is that the proper way of doing it?
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2014, 11:15 PM   #7
Bimmer Barney
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011.5 E90M ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3N
Does BMW recommend replacement? Just wondering. If they did, why aren't they blue?

Definitely new leak, have been driving for months without the engine cover just so i can monitor after degreasing and after each drive, it comes back.

RTV may fix the issue if the gasket is not seated properly but is that the proper way of doing it?
Yes BMW recommends replacing the bolts. BMW does not recommend RTV, but like many maintenance items some owners do what they think will work best and have success. I did not use RTV and had no issues getting the gasket to sit properly. I'm leak free.
      05-10-2014, 09:04 AM   #8
R3N
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Would you happen to have a scan of the bmw procedure?
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2014, 10:36 AM   #9
Danimals
Private
Rep
Drives: 335i 6speed

WOW same problem I had when I let a repair shop do my VCG. I LEARNED MY LESSION!!! Do this yourself, trust me. My story is nearly the same. I complained to the shop and they claimed it was due to them not replacing the bolts, bullshit! I called them out and said fuck it after a huge arguement and decided ill do it myself and learn from this experience.

So I ordered the gasket, no bolts and did the job. I found that the damn shop first of all did not take the time to remove the old gasket pieces that stick to the cover, and also right where it was leaking most they some how nicked it while installing it

Take my advice and do this yourself, no one will do it better. RTV is not needed, just make sure to take your time removing the old VCG from the VC and take your time installing it not to put any nicks or small slice in the VCG. I did this and it had never leaked again, no new bolts, no RTV, and took my time take my advice!
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2014, 11:07 AM   #10
6BATMAN6
Private
Rep
Drives: 2010 335i m package

This has nothing to do with the bolts these bolts are only torqued to 7 lbs this is most likely related to the gasket just not sitting right when the bolted things down .. Its a pain in the ass to get that cover on without snaggin the gasket and moving it around.. When i did mine i put the cover on and off about 4 times before i know it was perfect..or it could just be that they didnt do a good sequence and the cover just is pulling more to one side and not flush.. Rvt isnt recommended by bmw because there are little holes where the crankcase vents into the valve cover and u have to be extra careful to not fill them .. Look up the diy on this and he has pics of what rob beck was talking about ..
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2014, 11:25 AM   #11
Miller335
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danimals View Post
WOW same problem I had when I let a repair shop do my VCG. I LEARNED MY LESSION!!! Do this yourself, trust me. My story is nearly the same. I complained to the shop and they claimed it was due to them not replacing the bolts, bullshit! I called them out and said fuck it after a huge arguement and decided ill do it myself and learn from this experience.

So I ordered the gasket, no bolts and did the job. I found that the damn shop first of all did not take the time to remove the old gasket pieces that stick to the cover, and also right where it was leaking most they some how nicked it while installing it

Take my advice and do this yourself, no one will do it better. RTV is not needed, just make sure to take your time removing the old VCG from the VC and take your time installing it not to put any nicks or small slice in the VCG. I did this and it had never leaked again, no new bolts, no RTV, and took my time take my advice!
This is truth.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2014, 01:18 PM   #12
j1gilles
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3N View Post
Can anyone definitively confirm that these are required to be replaced? If they are, then why are they not marked blue?

I have had some oil leaks from the Valve Cover area, and the gasket was changed once apparently. The problem I have is the workshop that did the work is now lying to me. The head mechanic at the time told me to bring it back, and they replaced the gasket again, but sure enough was still leaking after. That's when he said they needed to replace the bolts which will solve the issue. I specifically asked if they checked the Valve Cover itself for cracks or warping. He said they did and it wasn't cracked or warped. He has since left, and the owner of the shop is denying that the gasket was changed the second time even though I left my car with them there the whole day, and I knew they had done something to it.

Leaks are only minor, that seep onto the heatshield.

I am now going to get this fixed elsewhere, but want to find out if anyone had the experience where they replaced the gasket, which did not fix the leak and replacing the bolts after did. If so, then I can get away with doing the work myself and replacing bolts without pulling the VC off. Alternatively, as I cannot confirm what has been replaced, I will have no choice but to bite the bullet and buy the entire VC assembly for peace of mind.

Thanks in advance.
I've done 20 or so VC gaskets on these cars and I have yet to replace the blots... The trick is to use a LITTLE RVT to tack the gasket in place on the valve cover. This helps keep it in-place while you fit it on the head. You should also clean the mating surface thoroughly with brake parts cleaner. The VC gasket channel needs to be free of debris as well. I tend to torque my VC bolts a little tighter than 7ft lbs (8 ft lbs) and I apply a little loctite to the threads. I do this because a vast majority of the VC gaskets I have replace were do to two things, either the gasket became brittle over time or the bolts loosened up and allowed for seepage to occur. Just my 2 cents!
      05-10-2014, 08:13 PM   #13
R3N
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

That's the kind of experience i want to hear guys. Thanks. It could also point to my VC being warped if i gave them the benefit of the doubt to actually not screwing up the install. I might just recheck the torque settings on the bolts to make sure as a first step
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2014, 08:17 PM   #14
Bme30
Major
Rep
Drives: 335i coupe

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
I just replaced mine and reused the bolts. Zero leakage. Just make sure to torque to 7ft lbs
Appreciate 0