E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > A light stall before acceleration...Help

05-09-2014, 01:51 PM   #1
WRichieX
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 335i e93 6MT

Garage List
A light stall before acceleration...Help

So today on the way to a meeting, I decided to open her up a bit. Going about 50mph, I dropped it to 2nd and it seemed like the car stuttered for a second before taking off. Same thing with 3rd. I slowed down and tried again, and same thing. It's not like the feeling of turbo lag. Literally felt like nothing happened then engaged and took off. So I drove it regular for a bit and tried again, and then it was fine. Just regular turbo lag. Then again, the stutter happened again. It's happening on random occasions. Anyone experience this or what's happening? Knowing the n54, something is failing. Looking to be proactive.

Car is Stock except ppk 2. Just did an oil change last weekend and replaced T stat.

07 BMW 335i E93 6MT (Praying neighborhood doesn't get flooded...again)
04 Infiniti G35 Coupe 6MT (Flooded)
08 Audi TT 2.0T DSG (Flooded)
03 Subaru WRX 5MT (Flooded)
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2014, 02:27 PM   #2
HGreen335
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: N54 335i, S65 M3

sounds like a misfire. I would start with changing all the plugs.

2007 E92 335i Coupe 6MT (Space Grey/Coral Red) VRSF Downpipes, BMS DCI, Bigtom FMIC, E-85, JB4 ISO/MHD
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2014, 02:29 PM   #3
2jzn54
Captain
Rep
Drives: 07 E90 335i 6MT

dying coil pack/plug is where i'd start. get a code reader (just go to autozone and ask someone to read codes) to figure out the cylinder then swap a coil pack with another cylinder and read codes again to see if it goes to another cylinder. if it does its the coil.. if not try again with the spark plug.

there are a million other things that could be going on, but i'd start with those. once yu get the code reading it should be easier to pinpoint your issue.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2014, 02:47 PM   #4
WRichieX
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by HitHunter View Post
sounds like a misfire. I would start with changing all the plugs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daily Three View Post
dying coil pack/plug is where i'd start. get a code reader (just go to autozone and ask someone to read codes) to figure out the cylinder then swap a coil pack with another cylinder and read codes again to see if it goes to another cylinder. if it does its the coil.. if not try again with the spark plug.

there are a million other things that could be going on, but i'd start with those. once yu get the code reading it should be easier to pinpoint your issue.
Thanks guys, I was planning on replacing all the coils and plugs anyways. Hopefully this will take care of it.

Appreciate 0
      05-11-2014, 11:43 PM   #5
GearRex
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 M3, E46 ZHP, 991.2 Cabrio

I was experiencing hesitation during hard acceleration, exactly like you described. On the freeway, dropping a gear or two and accelerating at mild to hard acceleration, I felt hesitation - like the traction control cutting in.

No engine lights, no error codes.

Turned out to be carbon buildup on the intake valves. Had the valves cleaned and the problem went away. Car now accelerates smoothly. Car had 53K miles at the time.

You should look into this.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2014, 07:43 AM   #6
WRichieX
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by E93_Rzr View Post
I was experiencing hesitation during hard acceleration, exactly like you described. On the freeway, dropping a gear or two and accelerating at mild to hard acceleration, I felt hesitation - like the traction control cutting in.

No engine lights, no error codes.

Turned out to be carbon buildup on the intake valves. Had the valves cleaned and the problem went away. Car now accelerates smoothly. Car had 53K miles at the time.

You should look into this.
Thanks....thats another thing I've been planning on doing. I'm at 63k

Appreciate 0