Pandora Car Alarm System
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics

05-12-2014, 10:37 AM   #1
Wah
IG@i.am.wah
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 CS

Garage List
Valentine 1 install

In my e92 M3, I used the fuse tap method to hardware my V1. I liked that method because when I sold the car, I just pulled out the fuse tap, and it was like nothing was ever installed. I noticed that the fuse box is in the trunk for this car, so its not as simple of an install.

I noticed in the F3x forums, there is a new "Savvy" connector for the V1 that plugs into the OBD port under the dash. The wire can then be routed up the A pillar, under the headliner, to the V1 (similar to the E9x fuse tap method). Has anyone tried this method in another car? Any issues with installing the Savvy connector into this port?
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2014, 10:49 AM   #2
Swancoat
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

I've used it in our Audi. Works well, has another advantage of being able to read the speed signal from the OBDII port and then auto mute below a pre-selected speed (max is 30 mph though).
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2014, 07:14 PM   #3
Wah
IG@i.am.wah
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 CS

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swancoat View Post
I've used it in our Audi. Works well, has another advantage of being able to read the speed signal from the OBDII port and then auto mute below a pre-selected speed (max is 30 mph though).
Did your dealer give you any grief for using the ODB port for your radar detector?
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2014, 10:48 PM   #4
Swancoat
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Just reach down and unplug it before service. I think my wife has had it serviced without removing it though. Dealer didn't say anything. Why would they? It's not harming the car in any way.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2014, 01:20 AM   #5
NCSU2WFU
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F83 M4 & 2016 Macan Turbo

This is how I have my current V1 hard wired into my E93... I'm planning / hoping for something similar for the F83. Best thing about it is there's no wires crawling anywhere in the car (just a few inches up the windshield around the rearview mirror). Not exactly related to the dome light power - turns on when I unlock the car, turns off when I take the key out (I don't have comfort access) so at that point, the lights are still on but the V1 has turned off.

Note, I don't take credit for the write up, but it was the best I found years ago when I was doing my install. I had something very similar in my E46 which worked well.

www.safeer.us/?p=281
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2014, 03:24 AM   #6
tisme
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 in Sakhir Orange

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wah View Post
I noticed in the F3x forums, there is a new "Savvy" connector for the V1 that plugs into the OBD port under the dash. The wire can then be routed up the A pillar, under the headliner, to the V1 (similar to the E9x fuse tap method). Has anyone tried this method in another car? Any issues with installing the Savvy connector into this port?
Thanks for the tip on the Savvy; I already have my Valentine 1 and have just ordered a Savvy for when I have mine in 38 days.
      05-17-2014, 11:37 AM   #7
tooch
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82

When I hardwired my Valentine 1 I used the dome light power lead and spliced into it with a clicker tap thing. It turned out perfect no wires whatsoever. Hardest part was getting that piece out ( the trim piece with the map lights and sunroof button) right above the rearview mirror.

96 E31 JB
07 E92 AW
F82 BSM
Appreciate 0