E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Adjusting the Temperature Sensor

11-30-2007, 09:58 AM   #1
gloster
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335i MT, sport

Adjusting the Temperature Sensor

Like several other people on the forum, I wish my temperature range for automatic climate control went lower.

As most of you know, if you set the automatic climate at 60F the system will just start pumping out full fan at full cool. Often, I am uncomfortable when the system is set at 61F. But, I don't want the system to go full out; I just want it to keep trying to cool the car gently.

So, I think an "easy" solution is fooling the temperature sensor to think the car is warmer. Does anyone know of a way to adjust the temperature sensor or can think of an easy hack to fool the sensor? Ideally, I want it to think the car is 5 degrees warmer than actual.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2007, 10:39 AM   #2
vadim
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Tesla Model Y

Quote:
Originally Posted by gloster View Post
Like several other people on the forum, I wish my temperature range for automatic climate control went lower.

As most of you know, if you set the automatic climate at 60F the system will just start pumping out full fan at full cool. Often, I am uncomfortable when the system is set at 61F. But, I don't want the system to go full out; I just want it to keep trying to cool the car gently.

So, I think an "easy" solution is fooling the temperature sensor to think the car is warmer. Does anyone know of a way to adjust the temperature sensor or can think of an easy hack to fool the sensor? Ideally, I want it to think the car is 5 degrees warmer than actual.
Well.. It may not have anything to do with the sensor. When you set the temp to 60 F and activate the auto mode, the system's goal is to cool down/heat up the air to 60 F as soon as possible, then maintain that temperature (at which point the fan will likely slow down). You would need to change the logic of the system to make it reach the target temperature not as quickly as it is set to do.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2007, 11:00 AM   #3
gloster
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vadim View Post
Well.. It may not have anything to do with the sensor. When you set the temp to 60 F and activate the auto mode, the system's goal is to cool down/heat up the air to 60 F as soon as possible, then maintain that temperature (at which point the fan will likely slow down). You would need to change the logic of the system to make it reach the target temperature not as quickly as it is set to do.
I realize that. I don't want to change it's behavior when I set it to 60F. I want to change it's behavior when I set it to 61F. When the climate control is set to 61F and the actual interior temperature is 61F, I want the car to think (and behave) like the interior temperature was 66F.

Of course, I'd really like to be able to set the climate control to 55F, but that's not a realistic goal.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2007, 11:44 AM   #4
de.abeja
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335 sedan

This is why I hate auomatic climate control!
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2007, 12:27 PM   #5
Bimmer335i07
BK Employee of the month! / Moderator
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i Sedan

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
Have you tried turning the knob in the center counsel all the way to the left where the blue colored square is?

Sponsored by: Pics of the ---> Barbera Beast <---
Martino Auto Concepts (Like them on Facebook MAC) Factory Trained & Authorized by BMW of North America

Matt@Camber-Toe (Like them on Facebook Camber-Toe)
LuxAngelEyes (Like them on Facebook LuxAngelEyes)
LTBMW (Like them on Facebook LTBMW)
OEMconcepts (Like them on Facebook OEMconcepts)
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2007, 01:04 PM   #6
gloster
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer335i07 View Post
Have you tried turning the knob in the center counsel all the way to the left where the blue colored square is?
Yes.

I just like it really cold. If my wife would let me, I'd keep my home at 60F.

I've seen other automatic climate control systems that go lower. It's a shame BMW only goes to 61F.

I'm still thinking there is a chance to mess with the temperature sensor. I hate to take apart my dash to look, but I wonder if the sensor has an adjustment on it.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2007, 05:47 PM   #7
riceqx2
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335XIC...

Unless I'm missing something here, how 'bout turning down the fan speed to say, 3 bars so that the air flow isn't so intensive. The thing will still try to make the car 61 degrees without messing up your hair.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2007, 12:59 PM   #8
gloster
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by riceqx2 View Post
Unless I'm missing something here, how 'bout turning down the fan speed to say, 3 bars so that the air flow isn't so intensive. The thing will still try to make the car 61 degrees without messing up your hair.
Changing the fan speed turns off the automatic climate control. I was looking for a way of still using automatic climate.
Appreciate 0