THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum 2 Series Pricing, Ordering, European Delivery Deposit refund

05-22-2014, 01:35 PM   #1
ozair123
Rep
Drives: bmw 2 series

Deposit refund

Does anyone know if they give back the 1,000 dollar deposit when you ordered a car, back? If you don't decide to buy it.

Because I just lost my job, and I dont think i'll be able to afford the 228. So I wanted to know if I can get the 1,000 dollar deposit back? This is in illinois btw. And what should I tell the sales people

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2014, 01:39 PM   #2
five3three
Major
Rep
Drives: m2c

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozair123 View Post
Does anyone know if they give back the 1,000 dollar deposit when you ordered a car, back? If you don't decide to buy it.

Because I just lost my job, and I dont think i'll be able to afford the 228. So I wanted to know if I can get the 1,000 dollar deposit back? This is in illinois btw. And what should I tell the sales people

Thanks
As long as you didnt sign anything that says that the deposit is nonrefundable you shoudl be fine to get it back. Just tell them you want to cancel your order and want your deposit back.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2014, 01:40 PM   #3
Xaoc
Private
Rep
Drives: LeMans Blue 135is

You should be able to get the deposit back. Just tell them the truth, and you will not be able to purchase the car as previously thought.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2014, 01:46 PM   #4
ozair123
Rep

It was going to be a lease deal, the most we did was a handshake. And yea there wasn't any signing of anything. But my only concern is the car should be on its way, if not already here by now. Would that change the deposit?
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2014, 02:00 PM   #5
ciwhamc
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235i Alpine White

Garage List
2014 BMW M235i  [0.00]
Mine told me no problem on the deposit as they figured it would not be hard to sell the car even I did not buy it. If it was an odd color with weird options I can see it being a little harder for them. But I would be shocked if they said non refundable deposit.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2014, 02:18 PM   #6
dharo1
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Previous: F22 M235i ; F80 M3 ;

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozair123

Thanks
Did you agree on a selling price? Was there an oral contract?
Remember it's a car they could easily sell and get their money (assuming they argue there's a breach of an oral contract and they want to keep deposit). Under general contract law there's a duty to reasonably mitigate damages.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2014, 02:19 PM   #7
bimmerbuff
Slightly Less Obsessed
United_States
Rep
Drives: Between BMWs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozair123 View Post
It was going to be a lease deal, the most we did was a handshake. And yea there wasn't any signing of anything. But my only concern is the car should be on its way, if not already here by now. Would that change the deposit?
Probably not. The car will go into their inventory and they'll be able to sell it to another customer. If it has esoteric options (MT without moonroof, SensaTec over leather), it might take them longer to sell it depending on what a customer is looking for, but that's not really your problem.

Sorry to hear about your job - that sucks.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2014, 03:57 PM   #8
ozair123
Rep

Yea we agreed on a lease deal, which after coming on this forum I realized wasn't that great. It was for 404 a month and 3500 down. But yea I hope they don't make a big deal about it. And it was pretty basic, but I got m sport, and dynamic handling. Besides that it was alpinewhite with sensetac. And nothing else. So it might be a tough sell? IDK, it just sucks
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2014, 04:04 PM   #9
disco4me
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M235i

Sorry to hear about your job loss. I think if you are honest with them, they probably won't give you are hard time. It would be pretty unreasonable of them to not be understanding. Tell them you really want to buy a BMW once you are gainfully employed again and they may be even more willing to work with you. Irrespective of the employment situation, I've heard that most dealers will provide a refund if you do not take delivery.
Appreciate 0