F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Does anyone have issues playing music from iPhone over Bluetooth?
GetBMWParts

05-23-2014, 04:38 AM   #1
OliOC
Rep
Drives: 2014 320D M Sport +

Does anyone have issues playing music from iPhone over Bluetooth?

I've had my new my2014 320d M sport for a few weeks now, and on numerous occasions have had issues where my iphone has not been recognised for music, either via Bluetooth or USB.

I have the pro nav, which seems to have the same functionality as the extended Bluetooth (I can stream music via Bluetooth).

More and more often I get into the car, and whereas it would usually pickup where it left off, it doesn't.

I go into into media and I can see the phone is connected via Bluetooth, click on it and there is no music info. Plug it into USB and it is the same. Restart the phone and turn the car off and on, and all seems to work again.

So far I cannot see any pattern in why or when it does it.

Another issue I find is if I have been playing spotify over airplay in the office, I get I to the car and it continues. This is kinda cool, but there's no way to then start playing other music from the phone without interacting with the phone itself - ie quitting spotify and begin playing music stored on the phone manually?

Thanks in advance for any help anyone can shed on this...
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2014, 06:47 AM   #2
gadget32
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M340i Xdrive

Garage List
Welcome to the limitation of the iphone with idrive. Sadly lots of us on here are waiting for the software update to cure these problems, it might come, it might not.

I have heard the August is the next software update.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2014, 05:11 PM   #3
OliOC
Rep

Cool - so everyone experiences these issues?! Oh well - just have to learn how to deal with it.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2014, 05:11 PM   #4
OliOC
Rep

Does anyone have any idea how or what causes it to misbehave?
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2014, 05:19 PM   #5
MDIVISION
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3

No issues, just sounds like crap compare to plugging an iPod to the USB and having songs ripped at 320
2014 BMW 335i MPPK SOLD
2015 M3 SOLD
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2014, 11:07 AM   #6
davidsmith71
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i Sedan

I don't think it's strictly an iPhone issue. I had a Windows phone (Lumia 1020) and it did the same thing.

The only way I'm able to get the song track and album art to stay updated with the song that's playing, is to use the music apps supported within the BMW Connected App.

The problem with this is that I have to leave my phone plugged in, unlocked and left on the app. If I get a text message and switch over to read it or switch to a different app on the phone, the music stops until I switch back.

This is ridiculous. What kind of software QA is going on at BMW for this to not be fixed?!?!

Last edited by davidsmith71; 06-04-2014 at 11:08 AM.. Reason: grammar
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2014, 05:39 AM   #7
Meds
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 328i M Sport +

Haven't experienced similar issues. Songs start to play from where it was last left off. However, my iPhone 5 (iOS 7) does crash and re-boot itself quite frequently, which is annoying. Also, doesn't seem to auto-lock when plugged in and playing music (not a big deal, quite prefer it that way).
      06-10-2014, 06:07 PM   #8
OliOC
Rep

Providing your iPhone is locked, it should stay locked (but you're right that if it's plugged in and unlocked it seems to remain that way).

What I have discovered is the phone doesn't like picking up where you left off if you have been listening to an audio source when out of the car. If you watch a YouTube video or another video on a website, your phone will remember that audio source when you get back into the car, won't start where it left off and won't be able to pull down you playlists etc.

I've found it does this very consistently.

An easy workaround is to launch your iPod app (if you have listened to/ watched another audio source) before getting into the car and quickly play/pause a song.

I've also found an iPhone sounds significantly better when plugged into the centre console via lightening cable as opposed to over Bluetooth.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2014, 01:31 PM   #9
bucawke
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW x5

Garage List
I usually use my iPod to play music in my car, but since I lost the cable, I've been using my iPhone 5S over bluetooth for music. It works fine most of the time, but sometimes I can hear the song skip or crackle for a second of two and then it's back to normal.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2014, 02:01 PM   #10
Ozolz
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 116i m-sport 2014

Only issue I have with BT playback is the annoying low volume VS usb playback...switch to Radio and get your ears blown off.
Appreciate 1
      08-28-2014, 07:25 AM   #11
Maxdog
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i xdriive msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by OliOC
I've had my new my2014 320d M sport for a few weeks now, and on numerous occasions have had issues where my iphone has not been recognised for music, either via Bluetooth or USB.

I have the pro nav, which seems to have the same functionality as the extended Bluetooth (I can stream music via Bluetooth).

More and more often I get into the car, and whereas it would usually pickup where it left off, it doesn't.

I go into into media and I can see the phone is connected via Bluetooth, click on it and there is no music info. Plug it into USB and it is the same. Restart the phone and turn the car off and on, and all seems to work again.

So far I cannot see any pattern in why or when it does it.

Another issue I find is if I have been playing spotify over airplay in the office, I get I to the car and it continues. This is kinda cool, but there's no way to then start playing other music from the phone without interacting with the phone itself - ie quitting spotify and begin playing music stored on the phone manually?

Thanks in advance for any help anyone can shed on this...
Same problem
Appreciate 0