THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum 2 Series Pricing, Ordering, European Delivery Is the Lighting package worth it?

05-25-2014, 01:06 PM   #1
Lynn_228i
AW BMW 228i with Black Dakota Leather Seats
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 228i

Is the Lighting package worth it?

Is the Lighting package worth it? For those that added it to their BMW 2-series vehicle, have you found it to be brighter and help you see better so it is worth the extra money?

It seems, I keep adding features I want and my price keeps getting higher.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2014, 01:27 PM   #2
tccox
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 228i Msport

Garage List
Yes , a must have option just for the increased safety.

From BMW

"The Adaptive Headlights cast their beam in the direction of the curve and ensure better visibility and more safety during night drives on winding roads.

Sensors measure speed, steering angle and yaw (degree of rotation around the vertical axis). Based on this information, small electric motors turn the headlights left or right so the beam falls on the road ahead, guiding you into the bend.

Headlight beam throw control (a model-specific function) means the front headlights are raised at high speeds and lowered at slower speeds, which results in a wider beam for inner-city driving.

The adaptive headlight range control (a model-specific function) takes into consideration the vertical curve of the road. The headlight beam throw control is lowered when driving over a knoll and raised when the vehicle is in a dip.

The result: every single curve is illuminated and the oncoming traffic isn’t dazzled unnecessarily. Driving at night is even safer, particularly when visibility is poor.

Adaptive Headlights are only active when the vehicle is pulling away. They stay switched off when the BMW is in reverse and when the steering wheel is turned to the left while the vehicle is stationary (e.g. when pulling out of a parallel parking ******* to avoid dazzling oncoming traffic.

Adaptive Headlights are complemented by cornering lights. These are automatically activated at speeds of up to 70 km/h and improve visibility in the immediate vicinity of the vehicle, which is useful when driving along hairpin bends, turning or parking."
      05-25-2014, 01:58 PM   #3
Lynn_228i
United_States
Rep

Tccox, thank you so much! I really need better visibility at night so it sounds like I need the lighting package!
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2014, 01:14 PM   #4
bimmerbuff
Slightly Less Obsessed
United_States
Rep
Drives: Between BMWs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn_128i View Post
Is the Lighting package worth it? For those that added it to their BMW 2-series vehicle, have you found it to be brighter and help you see better so it is worth the extra money?

It seems, I keep adding features I want and my price keeps getting higher.
I've had Xenons on all my BMWs and always found them to be worth the extra expense. On my 228i, I only ordered Lighting, Driver Assistance, power/heated seats, the alarm, and Style 385 wheels.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2014, 11:23 PM   #5
Lynn_228i
United_States
Rep

Thank you bimmerbuff for letting me know you always found the brighter lights worth paying for when building your vehicle. Does the alarm really help? I keep wondering if I should add it but I see you have added it. I had a car years ago with the alarm being too sensitive and I even had a cop with angry neighbors at my door on a windy night! Now I am afraid to add it but sometimes I worry about my car when I am going shopping and am so relieved it is still there in the parking lot.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2014, 09:24 AM   #6
bimmerbuff
Slightly Less Obsessed
United_States
Rep
Drives: Between BMWs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn_128i View Post
Thank you bimmerbuff for letting me know you always found the brighter lights worth paying for when building your vehicle. Does the alarm really help? I keep wondering if I should add it but I see you have added it. I had a car years ago with the alarm being too sensitive and I even had a cop with angry neighbors at my door on a windy night! Now I am afraid to add it but sometimes I worry about my car when I am going shopping and am so relieved it is still there in the parking lot.
I've always added the alarm if it wasn't included. I like the lock/unlock beep and like to think that it will at least alert me if I'm home and someone is outside screwing around with the car. I can't recall ever having a false alarm (from wind or otherwise) ever.

I realize hardly anyone pays attention to car alarms, but it's worth it to me.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2014, 09:42 AM   #7
Shakes
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerbuff View Post
I've always added the alarm if it wasn't included. I like the lock/unlock beep and like to think that it will at least alert me if I'm home and someone is outside screwing around with the car. I can't recall ever having a false alarm (from wind or otherwise) ever.

I realize hardly anyone pays attention to car alarms, but it's worth it to me.
ive noticed that too, you hear an alarm doesnt phase anyone anymore
Appreciate 0