BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > M3/M4 versus...

05-30-2014, 05:51 PM   #1
JoshuaKM
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 535i

I know this is out there - but did anyone consider buying a Range Rover Sport? Yes I get it that the RRS is a big truck and not nearly as sporty as an M3 - but they're basically the same price in the US - and my girlfriend & basically every friend I have are telling me that the RRS is a more desired, premium car.

About to order a 2015 BMW M3 in black sapphire metallic with full silverstone merino leather with the executive package & the following options:

1. 19 inch wheels
2. Harman/Kardon Sound
3. Side & Top Cameras

Thanks everyone!

Josh
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2014, 06:02 PM   #2
solstice
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3 6MT

The RRS is very likely seen as more premium ( higher status ) by 99% of the population. I hope that's not your main reason for buying an M3 though. In that case it's the wrong car. A 640 GC is wayyyyyy more premium to the same price if you want to stay with BMW.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2014, 06:11 PM   #3
JoshuaKM
Enlisted Member
Rep

Hey Solstice - yeah I want to be clear that honestly I don't care about the "status" element of a car - I just love cars & automotive tech and I get a lot of enjoyment out of driving. From what I've heard about the RRS it is also incredibly well engineered and a joy to drive. Just want to make sure I make the right decision before spending 75-77k.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2014, 06:13 PM   #4
minus9
Grand Poobah
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

If you are looking for comfort and status, there are many other choices out there. Once I decided to get a new M3, I certainly looked at what else I could get for the same amount of money (including a wide range of low-milage used vehicles). I test drove a lot of them.

My choice was the M3. Yours may not be. You need to decide what is important to you and compare.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2014, 06:13 PM   #5
tooch
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82

Its hard to choose a vehicle based on what other people find desirable. I don't think the RRS has anything on the M3, but I'm not a truck/suv person. Its mostly like a rich wives vehicle around where I live kinda like a soccer Mom.

96 E31 JB
07 E92 AW
F82 BSM
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2014, 06:16 PM   #6
solstice
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshuaKM View Post
Hey Solstice - yeah I want to be clear that honestly I don't care about the "status" element of a car - I just love cars & automotive tech and I get a lot of enjoyment out of driving. From what I've heard about the RRS it is also incredibly well engineered and a joy to drive. Just want to make sure I make the right decision before spending 75-77k.
Yes, a lot of good things are said about the RRS. It seems they did a good job with it. I haven't driven it myself but we have a 2013 Porsche Cayenne. It's an impressively engineered vehicle which is fun to drive for an SUV and better than many cars but it's no match for my M3. It's another world and I dont think the F8X will be as engaging, exciting and communicative as the E90 M3 but I'm pretty sure it will be a lot more exciting to drive than any SUV unless you count exciting off-roading of course . If you need seating for more than two my guess is that it's as good as it's get in 2014 with $70k in the pocket
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2014, 10:04 PM   #7
-JLT-
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '22 X4M COMP, '23 iX xDrive50

two totally different cars. YOU need to decide for yourself what type of car you want. it sounds like u want a drivers car so u should get the M3. i've driven the new RRS and it's much better than the old RRS. it drives more like a car than a SUV and much more responsive.
      05-30-2014, 10:06 PM   #8
Brosef
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

I have a RRS (2013), just got rid of my 2011 M3 and am anxiously waiting and making room in my wallet for the M3. I will say this - the RRS has the perception of being a much more premium car to the average schmoe (they see the M3 as just another 3 series). women would pick the RRS 10 times out of 10. so if you take your gf's advice, have fun with the RRS. it's a great car, a lovely place to be with respect to interior quality/design, and it's very comfortable and stylish. but the handling is exactly what you'd expect from a 6,000 lb SUV. that's a lot of weight, particularly for its size. it's plenty quick in a straight line, but it's a pig in corners. I'd say it's comfortable to drive if you don't have any desire to drive quickly and have fun.

the M3 is much more of a car you buy for yourself. way more fun, better gas mileage, plenty of practicality for 95% of the time. listen to me when I say this - get the M3. I'll accept your thank-you after you take delivery.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2014, 02:17 AM   #9
owerr
Private
Rep
Drives: 335i, audi a4

dude, you already got a gf, buy a car that makes you happy. if you are single and is trying to pick up chicks everyday at the pub, then go for something more status-y, like a RRS or 6 series
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2014, 08:02 AM   #10
JoshuaKM
Enlisted Member
Rep

Ha - thanks everyone for your input - I definitely knew the kind of responses I would be getting. I mainly wanted to know which would be more fun as a daily driver ... even if I didn't have a girlfriend I wouldn't care about a status-y car. If you're a successful guy you just want to have a car that makes you happy every time you fire it up.... and it looks like it's going to be an F80 M3.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2014, 08:55 AM   #11
Bonovox
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M4

Hey Joshua...I have a 2014 RRS...its basically Sakhir Orange with Silverstone interior Gorgeous car. With the reduced weight it handles nicely and goes pretty well. Somehow it manages to be really compliant without floating. My wife had a Mercedes suv -- that thing was awful -- at speeds above 80 mph it would wander and it never felt like it was going where you pointed it. The RRS is a pleasure to drive both fast and slow, and it goes where pointed. Lost in all of that is that it is a true off roader and it manages reasonable mileage (eg 22 mpg).

Another car you could look at if you're interested in premium perception is the Maserati Ghibli SQ4. The Ferrari engine makes noises like you wouldn't believe and imho it is a beautiful car. Nice interior though they cut corners on some of the materials to keep costs down. Every head swivels like Linda Blair in the Exorcist as you drive by, everyone asks about it and even motorcyclists give you thumbs up as you blast by. And every valet will park the car right up front ''"keep your keys sir!"

Last night I was at a dinner party...there were some nice cars parked in front including an E63 AMG S. Later in the evening the high school daughter comes bursting into the house..."who's Maserati is that!!!""

But the truth is that the car is a sheep in wolf's clothing. It sounds aggressive, but its not a performance car. I just swapped out of the lease after only 2000 miles and can't wait for my M4.

I don't think the M3/M4 is the most beautiful car in the world -- I l ike the looks of the car a lot, but not totally bowled over (kinda like the 911) -- but it is quite possibly the best sedan/coupe in the world and will be for a long time to come. BMW have done a brilliant job of giving the car premium touches while keeping weight down, offering world class performance. Yet its a daily driver; you can put four people in it, fold the seats down and throw your bike or skis in the trunk. Try doing that in a 911 or F-Type!
      05-31-2014, 02:41 PM   #12
Poofyo101
Major
Rep
Drives: e92 ///M3

Garage List
1988 BMW M3  [0.00]
1988 BMW M3  [0.00]
2012 BMW M3  [0.00]
1990 BMW M3  [0.00]
I have a 12 RRS and its a great car but its no M3. Two completely different spectrums.
      05-31-2014, 04:16 PM   #13
Audio Fan
Major
Rep
Drives: AY - M4

You should get the RRS, if you have to ask the this question.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2014, 09:56 PM   #14
M3guy3
Captain
Rep
Drives: M3

it seem like you are the kind of person who likes nice cars. they can be sporty nice cars or just luxury cars.

with that said you are on a forum with guys who value performance a lot. A lot of us are going to pick a M car over any large vehicle.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2014, 09:53 PM   #15
JoshuaKM
Enlisted Member
Rep

Thanks everyone - especially Bonovox - that was a great reply.

I am definitely leaning towards pulling the trigger on the M3. My local dealership in Charleston should be getting one in the next week or so I'll let you know my thoughts once I drive it.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2017, 04:35 PM   #16
RustyX5M
Private
Rep
Drives: e70 x5m

Funny, I didn't expect any results in my search for this topic. Did you end up with the M3, and still happy with your decision? (been quite some time since this was posted)

I think I'm steering more towards the RRS, though can not help but keep checking back at the M3 every time one passes by.

I'll also preface that I am switching from an X5M and previously an RS4. So you can possibly see where my lifestyle trend is going.

With that said, the RRS supercharged (V8) dynamic handles and drives great. It has plenty of oomph for everyday driving and takes turns better most sedans. By no means are you going to be counting down Nurburgring laps with it, though for around town I think it'll do just fine.

As for the technology, BMW is heaps beyond LR. I will definitely miss the top view camera, HUD, and infotainment system of the BMW. Though where the technology falls short it makes up in fit and finish of the interior. One of my biggest griefs with the X5M, second to the "M" tax, is the cheap plastics of the interior. Every slight movement in the drivers seat sounds like dusk on the 4th of July. The RR just feels so much more solid inside.

I would also be excited to get away from the BMW service department. I can't say Land Rover would be much better, though can't see it being worse than BMW.

Yes they are two completely different cars, though I think the reason for this post is to get a feel of how satisfied the owners of the respective cars (M3 and RRS) have been with their purchases. And if you've owned both which do you enjoy hopping into more on a regular basis.

Last edited by RustyX5M; 11-07-2017 at 04:44 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2017, 07:22 PM   #17
mm767cap
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M3 Competition Pack

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyX5M View Post
Funny, I didn't expect any results in my search for this topic. Did you end up with the M3, and still happy with your decision? (been quite some time since this was posted)

I think I'm steering more towards the RRS, though can not help but keep checking back at the M3 every time one passes by.

I'll also preface that I am switching from an X5M and previously an RS4. So you can possibly see where my lifestyle trend is going.

With that said, the RRS supercharged (V8) dynamic handles and drives great. It has plenty of oomph for everyday driving and takes turns better most sedans. By no means are you going to be counting down Nurburgring laps with it, though for around town I think it'll do just fine.

As for the technology, BMW is heaps beyond LR. I will definitely miss the top view camera, HUD, and infotainment system of the BMW. Though where the technology falls short it makes up in fit and finish of the interior. One of my biggest griefs with the X5M, second to the "M" tax, is the cheap plastics of the interior. Every slight movement in the drivers seat sounds like dusk on the 4th of July. The RR just feels so much more solid inside.

I would also be excited to get away from the BMW service department. I can't say Land Rover would be much better, though can't see it being worse than BMW.

Yes they are two completely different cars, though I think the reason for this post is to get a feel of how satisfied the owners of the respective cars (M3 and RRS) have been with their purchases. And if you've owned both which do you enjoy hopping into more on a regular basis.
Trading my 7 month old M3 for a Velar shortly, so you aren’t the only one. It’s my second RR and my current is my second M3. What I’ve learned about myself is that I’m past the stage in my life where driving fast on twisty roads 15% of the time is more valuable to me than being comfortable driving normally 85% of the time. The M3 is a GREAT car. I mean, truly great. It’s just not “me” anymore. I just wish this weren’t such an expensive lesson for me to learn.

You might hold tight for the 2018 RRS update. The Velar tech is arriving, and I’m assuming that Velar-like features such as surround camera, HUD, good infotainment will be part of the new package.

One thing I’ll tell you.... don’t expect your Land Rover service experience to be good. Hideously expensive. And I mean HIDEOUSLY. Land Rover NA makes BMW NA look like customer service nirvana. Just roll in and ask how much the 10,000 mile service will be on your RRS. I wouldn’t have bought the Velar if I didn’t locate a good Indy in my area first.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2017, 09:37 PM   #18
Sassicaia
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: SMB F80 6MT

to me a RRS screams house wife. Cant help it I guess given that every person driving one in my city is a 40 something female.

Go for a used G wagon.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2017, 10:36 PM   #19
RustyX5M
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm767cap View Post
Trading my 7 month old M3 for a Velar shortly, so you aren’t the only one. It’s my second RR and my current is my second M3. What I’ve learned about myself is that I’m past the stage in my life where driving fast on twisty roads 15% of the time is more valuable to me than being comfortable driving normally 85% of the time. The M3 is a GREAT car. I mean, truly great. It’s just not “me” anymore. I just wish this weren’t such an expensive lesson for me to learn.

You might hold tight for the 2018 RRS update. The Velar tech is arriving, and I’m assuming that Velar-like features such as surround camera, HUD, good infotainment will be part of the new package.

One thing I’ll tell you.... don’t expect your Land Rover service experience to be good. Hideously expensive. And I mean HIDEOUSLY. Land Rover NA makes BMW NA look like customer service nirvana. Just roll in and ask how much the 10,000 mile service will be on your RRS. I wouldn’t have bought the Velar if I didn’t locate a good Indy in my area first.
On a similar page with you there. I still get my kicks from sprinted driving, I just live in an area where 98% of my driving is highway and inner city traffic. So comfort wins.

You are correct that the ‘18s will receive a revamp on the tech along with a slight facelift similar to the velar. I just tend to buy quality preowned to avoid the initial hit.

Thanks for the heads up on the service department. Scary to believe there’s anything worse than the BMW service departments in the area here. Would be nice to find one with a maintenance plan to get it all covered up front.

Forgot to add, another reason I'm drawn back towards the M3 is fuel economy. I would be awfully giddy to get out of the mid to sub teen millage.

Last edited by RustyX5M; 11-07-2017 at 11:10 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2017, 09:48 AM   #20
Towerworld
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: R

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshuaKM View Post
If you don't care about status then why are you even looking at a range rover of any kind?
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2017, 10:50 AM   #21
RustyX5M
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Towerworld View Post
If you don't care about status then why are you even looking at a range rover of any kind?
One could say the same about BMW. Every high end car has some level of prestige inherited into them. Yes, Range Rovers more so than others, though there's many other reasons to consider one than just status.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2017, 12:39 PM   #22
mm767cap
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M3 Competition Pack

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyX5M View Post
On a similar page with you there. I still get my kicks from sprinted driving, I just live in an area where 98% of my driving is highway and inner city traffic. So comfort wins.

You are correct that the ‘18s will receive a revamp on the tech along with a slight facelift similar to the velar. I just tend to buy quality preowned to avoid the initial hit.

Thanks for the heads up on the service department. Scary to believe there’s anything worse than the BMW service departments in the area here. Would be nice to find one with a maintenance plan to get it all covered up front.

Forgot to add, another reason I'm drawn back towards the M3 is fuel economy. I would be awfully giddy to get out of the mid to sub teen millage.
Ahhhhh got ya on the pre-owned. Makes sense. I almost changed my Velar order to the RRS once I found out about the new tech in the 2018’s, but it sounds like there is a complete redesign coming in a couple of years. Maybe an M3 for you until a couple of years into the new body style RRS would be a good tragectory.

Yeah a buddy with an LR4 went to the dealership for his 10,000 oil change. The bill? $700+. When he asked what they did for his $700 they said they “checked everything... windshield wipers, for example”. Land Rover NA has a policy where if you live within 50 miles of a stealership and want to buy a car from somewhere else they will not offer the holdback to the out of town dealership. It’s to the point where some dealerships literally won’t sell you a car if you happen to live close by to a LR dealer. Utter and complete crap designed to inflate their prices.... which don’t need any inflating beyond their enormous bloat.
Appreciate 0