E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > 2009 LCI E90 - Taillight bulbs question

06-13-2014, 11:50 AM   #1
Inzane
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: E90 LCI 335i

2009 LCI E90 - Taillight bulbs question

Recently I've been getting the "bulb" icon on my dash display (the one that looks like a keystone bomb) and the "fast" turn signal action when I signal right. Normally that is an obvious sign that a turn signal bulb has burnt out.

It is random and intermittent.

It is the right rear turn signal. When I looked at it behind the car while the problem was present the turn signal appeared to be working, just significantly dimmer than the left side.

According to the owners manual, it doesn't reference a specific bulb replacement for the rear turn signal. I'm guessing because my LCI tails are a kind of LED combo arrangement. The book did say "visit your dealership".

The fact that the problem appears intermittent and that the "bulbs" are maybe LED type, is it possible it's actually a wiring/harness issue instead of an actual lamp issue?

What am I likely in for if I do have to make this a dealer visit?

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2014, 05:55 PM   #2
samvora
The Dark Knight
United_States
Rep
Drives: E36, E46, E90, G05 and MB W205

I have the exact same car model that you have and I had the exact same problem you are describinb. I eventually ended up buying a brand new light from eBay. This just means that BMW has ripped you off and if you go to the dealer they will ask you to replace the busted light and then they will add that they don't sell it individually so you will have to buy the whole set for $500+ and then installation on top of that.

eBay is a much better option as long as you make sure that you are getting the right piece (OEM and not a knock off) and its a pretty simple DIY that you can look up in the DIY section.

Hope this helps.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2014, 08:31 AM   #3
GreaseMonkey
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '09 335i xDrive

I have the same problem. My SA recommended I check the connections to make sure they are secure and clean. The problem comes and goes, so I suspect it is a problem with a poor connection, hopefully nothing that requires replacing the entire unit. Should have a chance to check it out tomorrow, and can update when I do. Good luck!
Formerly His:'09 335 xdrive
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2014, 10:24 AM   #4
GreaseMonkey
Second Lieutenant
Rep

UPDATE:

It seems the problem stems from bad soldering somewhere on the circuit boards for the tail lights. I purchased a replacement tail light piece for a reasonable price (PM for source if anyone needs), and have since replaced the unit. All problems have disappeared, and now I'll tear apart the faulty unit and see if I can repair the solder joints.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2014, 02:49 PM   #5
rollinstone157
Brotographer
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreaseMonkey View Post
UPDATE:

It seems the problem stems from bad soldering somewhere on the circuit boards for the tail lights. I purchased a replacement tail light piece for a reasonable price (PM for source if anyone needs), and have since replaced the unit. All problems have disappeared, and now I'll tear apart the faulty unit and see if I can repair the solder joints.
If you have a hot air reflow station, it will make the job significantly easier--assuming the problem is a fairly common cold solder joint.

You'll have to take apart the tail lights (the hot air station will definitely help with that job!) and then heat the board evenly.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2014, 05:59 PM   #6
E92-Lighting
United_States
Rep
Drives: Next Generation LED Lighting

solder gun can be your best friend in some cases
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2014, 09:19 PM   #7
GreaseMonkey
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I'm not anticipating any trouble, just need to get some time away from work to actually since down and work on it. In the meantime, my $60 replacement has been working flawlessly.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2014, 12:05 PM   #8
pb769
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 325Xi

2006 325Xi front turn signal

Hi, im having problems with my rt frt blinker. tried new bulb, then new socket , then whole new assembly..! Is there a relay or fuse for that? Also, my left rear (trunk) parking light is not as bright as the other three. Getting a warning light for that too.! checked bulb and connection. all look good.. Please help...!
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2014, 01:28 PM   #9
rollinstone157
Brotographer
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb769 View Post
Hi, im having problems with my rt frt blinker. tried new bulb, then new socket , then whole new assembly..! Is there a relay or fuse for that? Also, my left rear (trunk) parking light is not as bright as the other three. Getting a warning light for that too.! checked bulb and connection. all look good.. Please help...!
You may want to start another thread, as the tail and headlights on LCI and Pre-LCI vehicles are entirely different. I'm busy at the moment, but I'll see if I can troubleshoot a little later
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2014, 11:16 AM   #10
Inzane
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: E90 LCI 335i

Update:

I had my car at the dealer last week (for other things too), so I asked them to diagnose the turn signal issue, and it turns out its calling for replacing the right rear taillight assembly.

That was a $75 labor (1/2 hour) charge.

Now the fun part. The OEM lamp assembly was quoted as $367.50 CAD, and labor was $105. LOL

I noticed the same oem part can be had in the US for ~ $180 USD, and there is a fairly good (well-reviewed, from what I read) off-brand part available for ~$70-80 USD. (TYC part # BM2819114).

I decided to try the TYC part so I've got one on order.

PS - I got the heads-up on the TYC part from this thread:
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...=706424&page=3

So thank you to those who contributed to that thread which in turn has helped me as well.
Appreciate 0