F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Shivas' Bav Sound Stage 1 Upgrade Review
ARMA SPEED

06-17-2014, 09:49 AM   #1
shivaswrath
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i

Cool Shivas' Bav Sound Stage 1 Upgrade Review

Unlike probably many board members, I'm not an audiophile nut with a great ear for discerning the differences between good and great audio systems.

As such, I got the standard HiFi system in my car, because it sounded much better than the E90 standard system, and I thought I wouldn't have anymore audio needs.

The Bav Sound upgrade sounded intriguing because it was pretty OEM, obviously upgraded the magnets and materials used in the speakers, and for those of us who bought on the "lot", instead of an $875 check box for the harmon kardon system that I clearly couldn't make, this was our only "within warranty" option.

The quoted time for install was about 4 hours, I probably could've done it myself, but given that I didn't want to deal with taking the doors apart and busting tabs because I'm an idiot, I had the dealer do it at a reasonable hourly rate (negotiate hard here).

Impressions:
-Great sound stage, you literally feel enveloped with the way they balanced the speakers
-I've got the HiFi system, as mentioned, so I can only adjust Bass/Treble/Fade/etc - with treble set a little higher, and bass about mid-way (since the stock cross over's suck), I get great definition of sound
-LOVE the vocals, especially the way they are balanced between the center and door tweeters....listening to U2/Coldplay is just a different experience now
-Obviously, best fidelity comes from either a CD or USB connection, but regardless, by and large most sound sources (radio/Sirius XM) are much better than before

Wishes:
-Bav screwed up and didn't send a center speaker adapter, so I couldn't enjoy the "full sound stage" for almost a month as my dealer and them had to sort it out. REALLY crap customer service, as I even tried to call them and left them messages with no returned calls. SHAME BAV!!
-updated subwoofers that have more aggressive cross-overs would've been nice...there is a little bass bleed in the mid speakers, especially with the hip-hop/dance music
-BAV has been sold out for the door sound deadening material for a bit, so I couldn't get that installed - would I have noticed a difference, unsure.

M Performance Exhaust/Brakes/Suspension/LSD|Bav Stage 1/AMP||ER CP/IC/DP/OC | Dinan CAI/N55 PWG BIG TURBO|BMWF30.com
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2014, 11:12 AM   #2
carzaddict
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 Cadillac Escalade ESV

nice writeup....ive been considering this upgrade for a while. did you get the full package? front and rear speakers?
      06-17-2014, 11:58 AM   #3
shivaswrath
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by carzaddict View Post
nice writeup....ive been considering this upgrade for a while. did you get the full package? front and rear speakers?
Yup, the full (and only i believe) package - all the fronts and rears:
Center Channel:
(1) BAVSOUND 100mm 3-Leg Midrange
$129

Front Door Tweeters:
(2) BAVSOUND 25mm Silk Tweeter
$229

Front Door Midranges:
(2) BAVSOUND 100mm 3-Leg Midrange
$229

Rear Door Midranges:
(2) BAVSOUND 100mm 3-Leg Midrange
$229

M Performance Exhaust/Brakes/Suspension/LSD|Bav Stage 1/AMP||ER CP/IC/DP/OC | Dinan CAI/N55 PWG BIG TURBO|BMWF30.com
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2014, 02:11 PM   #4
ardyer
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 320xi

About what did the dealer charge for the install? I'm a bit interested in this but don't want to do it myself (I, too, would break things!) but don't want to pay as much for installation as I would for the speakers.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2014, 03:58 PM   #5
shivaswrath
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardyer View Post
About what did the dealer charge for the install? I'm a bit interested in this but don't want to do it myself (I, too, would break things!) but don't want to pay as much for installation as I would for the speakers.
2 hours - hourly rate varies from dealer to dealer though, so check with them and negotiate.

The most difficult speaker is the center one, the rest are much easier.

Appreciate 0
      06-18-2014, 09:00 AM   #6
bri1042
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2021 IOMG M3 6MT

If you follow the video instruction, the things you are most likely to break are the little white clips. You can get them for about 80 cents from you dealership and have a bunch on hand when you start pulling doors apart. Getting the door cards back on by yourself is actually a bit harder than taking them off. Again, the way the Bavsound guys put them back on is what you want to do to avoid damaging anything (specifically the door lock popup thingy...which I broke on my e90 the first time I took BMW doors apart).
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2014, 02:10 PM   #7
mitsuba
Brazil
Rep
Drives: 328i Sport 2014

BAVSOUND Stage 1

If you wanna buy one, I can sell my 2 weeks used package, with center channels. In the original box. USD 550 + shipment.

I removed and added a new amp, more powerful speakers, crossovers etc.
As I mentioned in my other posts, this kit is nice *but* if you want *more*, should invest in other type of equipment.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2014, 11:06 PM   #8
shivaswrath
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitsuba
If you wanna buy one, I can sell my 2 weeks used package, with center channels. In the original box. USD 550 + shipment.

I removed and added a new amp, more powerful speakers, crossovers etc.
As I mentioned in my other posts, this kit is nice *but* if you want *more*, should invest in other type of equipment.
That's a good deal! Where we're you when I needed this!?!

Appreciate 0
      06-21-2014, 09:17 PM   #9
bcornwellatl
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30 328i

I inquired about this also. The cost for the speakers from Danen website was under 1000. However when i called my local authorized Danin shop, they quoted me $500 for labor to install. Saying it would take several hours and it's not easy to access all the speakers. To me that is very expensive and I can't see buying into that. Looking at my car 2013 F30 328 with everything except the HK sound system and Xeon lights- the trunk has two plugs next to the combox. They are empty. I'm wondering if those are there for the HK amp? So might be cheaper to buy HK system and plug in the amp in the back?
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2014, 10:32 AM   #10
shivaswrath
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcornwellatl
I inquired about this also. The cost for the speakers from Danen website was under 1000. However when i called my local authorized Danin shop, they quoted me $500 for labor to install. Saying it would take several hours and it's not easy to access all the speakers. To me that is very expensive and I can't see buying into that. Looking at my car 2013 F30 328 with everything except the HK sound system and Xeon lights- the trunk has two plugs next to the combox. They are empty. I'm wondering if those are there for the HK amp? So might be cheaper to buy HK system and plug in the amp in the back?
The amp ain't the issue, it's the crappy paper speakers that are the problem...

Appreciate 0