BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

07-30-2014, 02:00 PM   #1
jaehshim
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90

Problem Solved. Those with Door/Trim/Rubber Seal Squeaks!

Hey guys,

I've been having problem with this crazy annoying squeaks, especially during summer time.

The car has been washed, waxed, in great condition, yet the sound still remained after putting gummi pfledge several times.

I thought about changing the door seals on all 4 doors, as it was hella annoying whenever moving upto driveway (slight uphill) or the chassis twists a little.

Well, I guess many of you guys on the forum are aware, but this really is for those new members trying to figure out how to solve this problem.

I always thought the squeak was coming from the contact between the door rubber seal and the chassis rubber seal.

It's NOT! The squeak comes from our M3's Black Shadowline Trim & our door rubber seal.

This is the reason why people with M cars or M sport pack, basically with Black Shadowline Trim, always have this squeak problem. The ones with OEM chrome trim do not seem to suffer from squeak.

Here's a simple guideline. Clean with Vinylex on the black shadowline trim, and Gummi Pflege on door seals, especially where it meets those black shadowline trim.

I was stupid, for the past yr, putting gummi pflege on different areas of door seal and expecting resolving the problem...
After simple treatment last night, squeak is completely gone!

Now I'm one happy man
      07-30-2014, 02:25 PM   #2
Galt?
Shrug
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 E90 M3, AW/FR, ZCP

Thanks for the info. I also notice what appears to be the some rattling of the window shades. Le sigh
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2014, 03:02 PM   #3
Lunker325
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E70 X5M / 991.2 C4S

Good info, thanks for posting!
      07-30-2014, 03:05 PM   #4
briancl
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

I noticed with gummi pflege the applicator just becomes all dirty. Is it recommended to first use a cleaner then apply? If so, what cleaner is recommended?
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2014, 03:14 PM   #5
badbeef
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 3 pedals

Is this the Gummi Pfledge item?

http://www.amazon.com/einszett-91480...+pflege&dpPl=1

There are multiple products on Amazon.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2014, 03:14 PM   #6
Beemdog
Woof!
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 M3 ZCP LeMans Blue

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by briancl View Post
I noticed with gummi pflege the applicator just becomes all dirty. Is it recommended to first use a cleaner then apply? If so, what cleaner is recommended?
I used Griot's Rubber Prep. Really cleans up rubber nicely.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2014, 03:19 PM   #7
thekurgan
Bad Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90M3

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
Krytox is better for those areas, much like the original gummi. The new gummi just doesn't last, sadly.
      07-30-2014, 06:09 PM   #8
FormulaMMM
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Yep, that's the problem area.

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showpos...4&postcount=32

Appreciate 0
      07-30-2014, 09:30 PM   #9
///M///
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2016 Manual AW F80

Thanks for the schematic I did this last year and it worked. Only have one annoying squeak near the passenger dash that remains.

My Amazing European Delivery Story
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2014, 10:10 AM   #10
ssabripo
HALA MADRID!
United_States
Rep
Drives: camels & donkeys

subscribed

F87 M2 Competition, Sunset Orange, Exc, DCT.
**SOLD** F80 M3 Mineral Grey/Sakir Orange, Exc, DCT... ED 6/2015
**SOLD**E90 M3, Interlagos Blue / M individual two-tone, ZCP, ZP2, ZCV, DCT, ED.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2014, 10:42 AM   #11
Tony B
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3, MW, ZCP, 6MT

Hey - interesting to have this confirmed.

My 330 Tourer (with Shadowline trim) was driving me mad with creaks, and I wasted loads of time dressing the door seals with various things, all to no avail.

Then, just before the 3rd birthday (and end of the new car warranty in the UK) I spoke with the dealer about the really thin paint - actually disappearing paint - on the top edge of the main part of this trim (both sides).

The dealer said - change the trim as the condition was not acceptable.

Since the change - absolutely no creaking. Like driving a new car.

One year later, all is still good.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2014, 08:49 PM   #12
spdy330
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 05 Tundra, 15 FIT, 17 CRV

My car is being dropped off at the dealer tomorrow morning for these noises. 3 year not a squeak and last month it started and has not gone away. Driving me nuts. My 06 E90 330 never had that issue when I had it. I had chrome trim though.

Hopefully in a few days they will have good news for me.
If you will be purchasing ANY AT&T services online or in store could you mention that you were referred by me? My Employee Referral ID is eo4489. This would be a great help and it costs you nothing, thank you!
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2014, 12:48 PM   #13
FormulaMMM
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by spdy330 View Post
My car is being dropped off at the dealer tomorrow morning for these noises. 3 year not a squeak and last month it started and has not gone away. Driving me nuts. My 06 E90 330 never had that issue when I had it. I had chrome trim though.

Hopefully in a few days they will have good news for me.
Did you try the solution posted in this thread and in my post above?

Appreciate 0
      08-01-2014, 01:11 PM   #14
spdy330
Major General
United_States
Rep

To answer your question no I did not go back and try anything else as I did not have time since my appointment with BMW was set last week and I needed to drop my car off this morning before I headed to work. Prior to making an appointment with BMW I used silicone lubricant to clean and moisten all the rubber seals on each door. That did not solve anything.

Today when I went to the dealer (BMW of Ontario, CA) my advisor wanted the shop foreman to go for a ride. Right when we started to drive away he said I can turn around that he heard enough and knew what the issue is. I did not even drive more than 30’ which I found funny.

He confirmed that the noise is the rubber seal on the doors that press against the black molding above the doors like was mentioned in this thread earlier. He stated that the fix that BMW has come up with is to place a clear vinyl strip on the lower half of the molding so it rests against the rubber seals. He said they will not replace the seals as it will just do it again and BMW finds this is the best way to quite (did not say eliminate) the noises.

When I get the car back next week I will let you all know if the noises are gone and how the ghetto fix looks. I will also post pictures so everyone can see what was done to solve the issue. The shop foreman states that you will not see the clear vinyl when the door is closed but will see it when open if you are looking for it. He said for people that have no idea it was put there they will never see it as it does not stand out.

We shall see…..

Quote:
Originally Posted by FormulaMMM View Post
Did you try the solution posted in this thread and in my post above?
If you will be purchasing ANY AT&T services online or in store could you mention that you were referred by me? My Employee Referral ID is eo4489. This would be a great help and it costs you nothing, thank you!
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2014, 02:23 PM   #15
thekurgan
Bad Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
To answer your question no I did not go back and try anything else as I did not have time since my appointment with BMW was set last week and I needed to drop my car off this morning before I headed to work. Prior to making an appointment with BMW I used silicone lubricant to clean and moisten all the rubber seals on each door. That did not solve anything.

Today when I went to the dealer (BMW of Ontario, CA) my advisor wanted the shop foreman to go for a ride. Right when we started to drive away he said I can turn around that he heard enough and knew what the issue is. I did not even drive more than 30’ which I found funny.

He confirmed that the noise is the rubber seal on the doors that press against the black molding above the doors like was mentioned in this thread earlier. He stated that the fix that BMW has come up with is to place a clear vinyl strip on the lower half of the molding so it rests against the rubber seals. He said they will not replace the seals as it will just do it again and BMW finds this is the best way to quite (did not say eliminate) the noises.

When I get the car back next week I will let you all know if the noises are gone and how the ghetto fix looks. I will also post pictures so everyone can see what was done to solve the issue. The shop foreman states that you will not see the clear vinyl when the door is closed but will see it when open if you are looking for it. He said for people that have no idea it was put there they will never see it as it does not stand out.

We shall see…..
Dealers use 3M's squeak reduction tape.

http://www.amazon.com/3M-Squeak-Redu.../dp/B0013HBOSG
      08-03-2014, 04:00 PM   #16
okusa
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2011.75 E90 M3 - SSII

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaehshim View Post
I was stupid, for the past yr, putting gummi pflege on different areas of door seal and expecting resolving the problem...
After simple treatment last night, squeak is completely gone!
You sir are a genius! Those noisy seals have been driving me crazy since I first got this car.

I bought this (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1) and followed your instructions and no more squeaks or creaks.

I owe you a beer.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2014, 05:04 PM   #17
thekurgan
Bad Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by okusa View Post
You sir are a genius! Those noisy seals have been driving me crazy since I first got this car.

I bought this (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1) and followed your instructions and no more squeaks or creaks.

I owe you a beer.
Much better than gummi too.
      08-03-2014, 06:11 PM   #18
ZEEM3R
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 Jaguar F-Type S AWD

Theres a weird squeaking noise coming from my car too. I have the black shadow line trim so Im hoping that its from that. Its probably the most annoying thing about having an M3, seems like every week theres a new rattle/squeak/vibration starting out of no where.
2017 Porsche Macan Turbo
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2014, 08:54 PM   #19
Malthusian
Instructor
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 ZCP

Quote:

We shall see…..
spdy, I'm curious to hear if the dealer's ghetto squeak reduction fix was effective. Since getting my E90 two weeks ago I've been convinced the car was lacking structural rigidity with all the squeaking over undulating pavement. This thread is giving me hope...
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2014, 11:29 PM   #20
spdy330
Major General
United_States
Rep

Yes all the body noises are completely gone. I could not believe that the clear tape trick fixed it. I think it is a cheesy fix but you really do t see it and the noises are all gone. Good luck with fixing yours.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2014, 08:20 AM   #21
thekurgan
Bad Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malthusian View Post
spdy, I'm curious to hear if the dealer's ghetto squeak reduction fix was effective. Since getting my E90 two weeks ago I've been convinced the car was lacking structural rigidity with all the squeaking over undulating pavement. This thread is giving me hope...
The chassis is quite stiff, it's most likely the seal noise and yes, it's a ghetto fix. The only thing that has lasted is krytox on the seal areas, and it's invisible.
      09-11-2014, 05:10 PM   #22
tacoman
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 1989 E30 M3 and 2010 E90 M3

x
Appreciate 0