BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

Mporium BMW

08-04-2014, 03:21 PM   #1
Beemdog
Woof!
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 M3 ZCP LeMans Blue

Garage List
Hamsters in the Dash

So if I open the door of the M3 when it is parked, and sit in it for a bit, there is an intermittent sound behind the instrument panel that reminds me of small rodents running around inside the dash. Now, I know that it has done this since I bought the car, so I'm pretty sure Mickey hasn't taken up residence in the dashboard area, but I am curious if this is normal and what creates the sound. From an engineer's point-of-view, it could be the sound of a bunch of small electrical relays toggling states, but I don't know why they would be doing that with the car off (maybe an alarm function?)!
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2014, 03:34 PM   #2
anom3
Captain
Rep
Drives: F30 335ix

Next time grab a stop watch and note the time you open the door, close the door, and when the ticking starts.

If its roughly a round number (30 / 60 / 120 / 240 / etc) its possible the car is just disabling battery sucking systems.

But my understanding (correct me if I'm wrong anyone) is that this is done inside the junction box, which is located behind (once again, correct me if I am wrong) the fuse panel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemdog View Post
So if I open the door of the M3 when it is parked, and sit in it for a bit, there is an intermittent sound behind the instrument panel that reminds me of small rodents running around inside the dash. Now, I know that it has done this since I bought the car, so I'm pretty sure Mickey hasn't taken up residence in the dashboard area, but I am curious if this is normal and what creates the sound. From an engineer's point-of-view, it could be the sound of a bunch of small electrical relays toggling states, but I don't know why they would be doing that with the car off (maybe an alarm function?)!
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2014, 03:50 PM   #3
happos2
Dingleberries
Rep
Drives: Gray E92 M3

Wait a second...I thought you had hamsters, but you elude to Mickey which is a mouse!! The diagnosis for a mouse and hamster are very different!!

For real though, I don't have much input but curious on what it could be!
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2014, 03:52 PM   #4
Amirsm3
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Space Grey e90 M3

Mine makes this sound, too, like raccoons scurrying around in my attic.

BMWCCA:518970
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2014, 03:55 PM   #5
Jab555
Private
Rep
Drives: Jerez Black Metallic E90 M3

This is pretty funny, I always hear this and think the exact same thing. I don't know whats going on in there!
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2014, 04:22 PM   #6
Beemdog
Woof!
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 M3 ZCP LeMans Blue

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jab555 View Post
This is pretty funny, I always hear this and think the exact same thing. I don't know whats going on in there!
Well, at least I'm not the only one hearing this "rodent activity".

But unlike that start-up clank noise thread, I am not going to spend thousands of dollars trying to investigate this-- sorry guys. I basically wanted to find out what the heck it is and whether I should mention it to the dealership service guy next time I'm there (last free warranty service coming up).
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2014, 04:24 PM   #7
Amirsm3
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Space Grey e90 M3

I'm gonna mention mine before my warranty is up. If they find it, great. I'm not too worried about it since it's a consistent sound (doesn't worsen, happens every time during shut down). My assumption is it's normal.

BMWCCA:518970
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2014, 05:34 PM   #8
Dougeefresh
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 JB

Lol I have this too and thought of the same thing. I also assume it's normal since I get it regularly.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2014, 05:48 PM   #9
Z K
Major General
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, G20 M340i

I have heard this before. It is the car turning on and off electrical systems.

I have a DVD-based navigation in my M3 and you'll hear the DVD disc spinning all the time even with the car off. After shut down, it will spin for a while and then turn off. If you sit there long enough with the key inside, the DVD will start back up again... Same when you unlock the door and get in, you can hear it spinning before you start the car.
      08-05-2014, 09:49 AM   #10
The Automotive Enthusiast
Retired BMW Genius
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi S5 Coupe

It's the car doing it's thing. When you turn the car off, the car starts turning off accessories, then it pressurizes the lines to make sure there aren't any holes or leaks. Take it to the dealer and let them check for any chewed wires or evidence of rodents.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LucBroDude View Post
TRAITOR.
Appreciate 0