BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

Mporium BMW

08-05-2014, 03:30 PM   #1
peeti
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 e90

Replacing side belly pans - tips?

Anyone had to replace the side belly pans on their M3? I've hit enough Chicago speed bumps that mine are in tatters. I am in the process of swapping out the air splitters (M type - one per side) and noticed that these belly pans are a wreck. There is no place to attach the screws to. I was going to fiberglass and epoxy the cracks, but after inspecting them - no go, they need replacing.

I live in a condo building with an underground crappy, dark, garage. So all I have access to is a standard, hydraulic jack. My jack stands are two hours away at my parents' place - trying to avoid that trip with this all torn apart to some degree.

Any tips on getting these on easily? It seems like a handful of screws and it just shimmies in - but I can't find any tech articles on this.

Thanks in advance...

this is the part:

http://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-E90-M3-S65_4.0L/ES206652/

Appreciate 0
      08-05-2014, 03:38 PM   #2
Beemdog
Woof!
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 M3 ZCP LeMans Blue

Garage List
You said it-- a handful of screws and it just shimmies in. If they are badly beat you may be missing some of the screws-- I bought a whole bag of them off Ebay. If the side pieces are that bad, your center pan is probably not far behind. The side pieces do have to be out (or at least partly hanging off) to replace the center pan.

You can use your floor jack to get the car up about a foot and place wood blocks under the tires, but a good set of jack stands is always recommended.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2014, 04:41 PM   #3
peeti
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 e90

Thanks Beemdog! Center pan is fine thankfully. These mainly got beat up because the splitters were attached to them. When the splitters hit, these cracked. Chain reaction style.

I think the center was already replaced by dealer - I know they had to replace those weird cable things (boge?) for sure and covered it. I love my dealer! (rare to say).

Cheers
Appreciate 0