BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

BPM

09-05-2014, 09:00 AM   #1
wcl4
Rep
Drives: BMW

CT owners who bought their car from NY dealer

I am supposed to pull the trigger on purchasing a car tomorrow, but now the dealership has sprung a last minute surprise which is a $500 titling fee for out of state residents. They say the cost is to cover an independent service to do the legwork, they can't transfer my current plates, and they can't allow me to do this myself. I am paying cash for this car with no lien. My BS meter is going off, but I don't know about this.

Is this status quo or anyone know anything about this?
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2014, 09:30 AM   #2
wcl4
Rep

nevermind - the deal is off!
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2014, 11:02 AM   #3
M3 Esq
Automobilist
United_States
Rep
Drives: E70 X5, 911 GT3

Sounds like BS. I bought my 335i in NY and they charged me exactly what it cost to reg the car which was $90 I think in CT.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2014, 01:06 PM   #4
wcl4
Rep

Thanks for validating. My BS meter was going off. They called me yesterday confirming I was going to buy since there was another really interested party. I told them I had a check cut and would show up on Saturday (tomorrow). I wouldn't be surprised if this was related to having a better offer in hand.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2014, 02:49 PM   #5
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G05 45e, 997.1 & 991.1 GT3s

most out-of-state purchases, the dealer doesn't charge you a titling fee, b/c you will pay it when you register the car in your home state at the DMV/BMV. So I would just tell them NOT to title and register it for you, and that you'll do it when you go home in CT.

I can see some states like CT/NY who has a lot of cross-boarder transactions having ability to title you in the your home state at the point of sale, but IT IS ILLEGAL for them to charge you any more than the state title and registration fees.

Of course an "extra" fee can be written as a separate line on the bill as a "handling" fee, which is legal, but that's all that is, just a extra line they can charge you more money with for "extra services", which is your case.

Just tell them you'll handle titling yourself. But you're right, it's BS, b/c basically they got an offer of about $500 more than your current offer. At this point, I would be aggressive and show up with the money (excluding that $500 extra). First one with the cash wins in this case, you gotta beat the other guy there. Dealers are playing the game everyday, but they know, a deal is nothing until someone shows up at the door with a check.

Last edited by Flying Ace; 09-05-2014 at 03:04 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2014, 03:00 PM   #6
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep

btw, to my point, when I negotiate on a car purchase, I make it crystal clear to the dealer where I'm registering the car, and that the purchase price I am discussing INCLUDES ALL FEES they want to assess.

That's the only way you will compare apples to apples for a in state and out of state price quote.

I said this during my last 3 car purchases/negotiations. 2 car purchases, in state for my parents, and for my M3 (out of state).

Basically, the concept is, I don't care if you're pricing the car at $1 and the fees at $30,000, or the car at $30,000 and the fees a $1, I want to negotiate on the bottom line (excluding tax)
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2014, 04:21 PM   #7
wcl4
Rep

Unfortunately it's too far of a trip for me to just show up at their doorstep (130 miles round trip). I argued the titling piece – twice – that I'd do it myself. And I mentioned this fee was never discussed up front. Who wouldn't be upset with a $500 extra fee the day before picking up a car? They refused to let me title the car, after which they then cancelled the order.

On the one hand – it's kind of upsetting because it was a nice low mileage 08. On the other hand, it lets me wait and look into the '11. I guess I'll scour the boards more for deals.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2014, 05:09 PM   #8
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcl4 View Post
Unfortunately it's too far of a trip for me to just show up at their doorstep (130 miles round trip). I argued the titling piece – twice – that I'd do it myself. And I mentioned this fee was never discussed up front. Who wouldn't be upset with a $500 extra fee the day before picking up a car? They refused to let me title the car, after which they then cancelled the order.

On the one hand – it's kind of upsetting because it was a nice low mileage 08. On the other hand, it lets me wait and look into the '11. I guess I'll scour the boards more for deals.

bro, that sucks they did that. Such a unprofessional and unethical move! What is sad is, had they been offered a better price, they should just tell you straight up that they got a better price and want you to beat/match it and give you the opportunity to give them your business. With a move like this they ensured you would not be buying. I hope their other deal falls through!

What dealer was this? We need to shame them here.

Well, personally, I would wait for a 2010+ car car anyways...you get updated idrive, LCI, ZCP, and BMW apps and all that stuff for not that much more.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2014, 07:43 PM   #9
wcl4
Rep

Competition BMW in Smithtown LI. I mean I made it explicit to list a bottom line price on the invoice when I put down a deposit so that I could get a check cut. I wanted to know what every cost was in each of the line items.

While I was waiting to pick up the car, I asked for a few things which probably made me look like a pain, but I don't think they were unreasonable. The big thing was that they had a "TPMS" light going off on the dashboard because of an aftermarket brake kit. I'm not a mechanic so I took it as the truth, but of course coming on to the forums, TPMS has nothing to do with brakes. Then they say it's a brake sensor issue and that I should pay to have it fixed because I acknowledged its presence when I placed the deposit. I say its a small problem that's easily fixed. Then I asked for a copy of the maintenance records, inspection report, and a paint micrometer to be present when I pick up the car. Finally they hit me with this fee, and after complaining and arguing about it, Chris Pre Owned Sales manager decides to cut the deal.

Did I ask for too much? I didn't think my requests were too outlandish.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2014, 09:47 PM   #10
M3 Esq
Automobilist
United_States
Rep
Drives: E70 X5, 911 GT3

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcl4
Competition BMW in Smithtown LI. I mean I made it explicit to list a bottom line price on the invoice when I put down a deposit so that I could get a check cut. I wanted to know what every cost was in each of the line items.

While I was waiting to pick up the car, I asked for a few things which probably made me look like a pain, but I don't think they were unreasonable. The big thing was that they had a "TPMS" light going off on the dashboard because of an aftermarket brake kit. I'm not a mechanic so I took it as the truth, but of course coming on to the forums, TPMS has nothing to do with brakes. Then they say it's a brake sensor issue and that I should pay to have it fixed because I acknowledged its presence when I placed the deposit. I say its a small problem that's easily fixed. Then I asked for a copy of the maintenance records, inspection report, and a paint micrometer to be present when I pick up the car. Finally they hit me with this fee, and after complaining and arguing about it, Chris Pre Owned Sales manager decides to cut the deal.

Did I ask for too much? I didn't think my requests were too outlandish.
I have asked for all of those things and any dealer worth it's salt would be happy to accommodate. Oh we'll, it's for the best. They sound like a bunch of douche bags.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2014, 10:01 PM   #11
drexplode
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: G26 i4x

Recently purchased a CPO E90 from a local dealer and requested the following documentation which was provided before offering any deposit:
-carfax
-maintenance history from BMW service computer
-CPO inspection report
-Thorough evaluation which included review on the hoist

This should be standard operating procedure for any used car.

Today I learned something new from my BMW body shop guy (owned by another BMW dealer), luckily worked in my favor - he did a run through of the car to check if any body work was completed prior. Luckily, none was found.

Things to look for:
-look at the bolts/screw heads on the inside of the door jambs. Look to see if the paint is missing or the paint is different than the surrounding area. Some body shops don't repaint the screws or if they do it's a hack job.
-look at the area around the trunk on the outside, this should be a matte finish. Some body shops repaint the area the same glossy color of the car
-look inside of the engine compartment for the above, especially the screw heads
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2014, 10:05 PM   #12
wcl4
Rep

Yeah, the only logical explanation is that they had a higher offer from someone else and that they didn't want to deal with a pain in the ass customer who could be problematic if an issue arose in the 3-month warranty period.

They're the one who dictated price - and I was willing to pay it with cash in hand. It's not like I low balled them.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2014, 11:25 PM   #13
WCH
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 M8C convertible

Garage List
Bummer. Hate to see that.

You could buy mine. Only has 8400 miles and I am in Boston

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1026547
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2014, 05:47 AM   #14
wcl4
Rep

Thanks. Was looking for 6sp, and your price is higher than my current budget :/ Looks like a great car.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2014, 11:18 AM   #15
DBH
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 E92

Legally, once they have accepted your deposit they cannot unilaterally cancel the deal. What's happening is that they've gotten a better offer and are were hoping to throwing up enough roadblocks that you'd back out of the deal. However, you weren't backing out quick enough and they had to act (illegally) because the other deal was about to walk away.

At this point, I wouldn't take the car from them unless they gave it to me. But, I'd let them know (sales manager and general manager and/or owner) that by cancelling the deal they acted illegally and you're going to report them to the Better Business Bureau.

Oh, I assume you got your deposit returned in full?
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2014, 12:03 PM   #16
soberin
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3 E90

Quote:
I am supposed to pull the trigger on purchasing a car tomorrow, but now the dealership has sprung a last minute surprise which is a $500 titling fee for out of state residents. They say the cost is to cover an independent service to do the legwork, they can't transfer my current plates, and they can't allow me to do this myself. I am paying cash for this car with no lien. My BS meter is going off, but I don't know about this.

Is this status quo or anyone know anything about this?
Don't know if you want the new M3/4, but BMW in New London has a couple.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2014, 02:03 PM   #17
wcl4
Rep

I filed a complaint with the NY BBB – not sure what that will do though. Anyone here a lawyer that can actually confirm if this is legal or illegal? I would suspect that it's shady, but not illegal. I was planning on calling the GM to talk to him since the pre-owned manager supposedly had a conversation with him.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2014, 02:08 PM   #18
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBH View Post
Legally, once they have accepted your deposit they cannot unilaterally cancel the deal. What's happening is that they've gotten a better offer and are were hoping to throwing up enough roadblocks that you'd back out of the deal. However, you weren't backing out quick enough and they had to act (illegally) because the other deal was about to walk away.

At this point, I wouldn't take the car from them unless they gave it to me. But, I'd let them know (sales manager and general manager and/or owner) that by cancelling the deal they acted illegally and you're going to report them to the Better Business Bureau.

Oh, I assume you got your deposit returned in full?
Unless it is written separately that a deposit represent a binding contract, anyone can walk away from a deal with a deposit. All that deposit is, is a good faith reservation for an intent to purchase.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2014, 03:15 PM   #19
wcl4
Rep

what if the invoice I have says this document is not binding unless signed by the seller and the buyer, and the document is signed by both of us?
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2014, 08:18 PM   #20
RR-NYC
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3MC

Complete BS and you should report them to the NY dept or consumer affairs.

I purchased my car in Boston. The dealer's runner who registers their vehicles had to drive to NY DMV to register my car. They did charge me but I think it was $90
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2014, 03:07 PM   #21
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
what if the invoice I have says this document is not binding unless signed by the seller and the buyer, and the document is signed by both of us?
Then it's legally binding. But here's the thing, why go through it at this point? Lawyer fees are going to be more than $500
Appreciate 0