Coby Wheel
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

11-26-2014, 11:28 AM   #1
pdramarocks
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4 (SO/SO)

Bug with 6MT Auto Rev-matching?

Has anyone else had any issues where the rev-matching didn't work even though you weren't in sport-plus mode?

It's happened twice this week for me, and it seems as though it may happen when I go into my M1 preset (sport throttle/steering/suspension, MDM dsc) too quickly after starting the car. I started the car and immediately pressed M1 twice (second time required to confirm dsc). After getting out on the road I notice that the shifts seem rougher than normal and the car is not 'blipping' on downshifts. After deactivating the M1 preset and turning it back on, rev-matching clearly works again.

Like I said, it's only done this twice so far so I need to play with it a little more, but wanted to see if anyone else has experienced this too.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2014, 11:29 AM   #2
absoluteis350
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 Singapore Grey M3

I thought in Sport Plus the rev matching is disabled?
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2014, 11:30 AM   #3
pdramarocks
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by absoluteis350 View Post
it is... but I wasn't in sport-plus.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2014, 11:34 AM   #4
jc05e46m3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 F90 M5 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by absoluteis350 View Post
You just misread his post, no worries

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdramarocks View Post
Has anyone else had any issues where the rev-matching didn't work even though you weren't in sport-plus mode?

It's happened twice this week for me, and it seems as though it may happen when I go into my M1 preset (sport throttle/steering/suspension, MDM dsc) too quickly after starting the car. I started the car and immediately pressed M1 twice (second time required to confirm dsc). After getting out on the road I notice that the shifts seem rougher than normal and the car is not 'blipping' on downshifts. After deactivating the M1 preset and turning it back on, rev-matching clearly works again.

Like I said, it's only done this twice so far so I need to play with it a little more, but wanted to see if anyone else has experienced this too.
I've had it happen a couple times, but what I noticed is that if the clutch is not released and then re-engaged for another gear change, then it wont work. That's a terrible way for me to explain it, but if you get it, then great. If not, I can clarify.
'15 /// M4 - YMB/SO - Sold
'12 E92 ///M3 ZCP - AW/FR - Sold
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2014, 11:40 AM   #5
pdramarocks
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jc05e46m3 View Post
I've had it happen a couple times, but what I noticed is that if the clutch is not released and then re-engaged for another gear change, then it wont work. That's a terrible way for me to explain it, but if you get it, then great. If not, I can clarify.
you mean double clutching? clutch-in, shift neutral, clutch out. clutch-in, choose gear, clutch out? Just on downshifts or upshifts too?

If so, I'll have to pay more attention to see how it behaves with single clutch compared to double clutch. I do both methods regularly on downshifts but haven't noticed a different with the auto revmatching.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2014, 11:45 AM   #6
absoluteis350
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 Singapore Grey M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jc05e46m3 View Post
You just misread his post, no worries

My bad Indeed I did misread
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2014, 11:58 AM   #7
solstice
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3 6MT

It seems like the blips are smaller in my car until it's warmed up. I thought of it as a feature to limit the revving of a cold engine. The car always blip when warmed up and now when I'm used to it I'm a huge fan. Bye-bye heel-toe, I'll miss you the same as I miss double clutching, not much
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2014, 11:58 AM   #8
jc05e46m3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 F90 M5 Comp

Quote:
you mean double clutching? clutch-in, shift neutral, clutch out. clutch-in, choose gear, clutch out? Just on downshifts or upshifts too?

If so, I'll have to pay more attention to see how it behaves with single clutch compared to double clutch. I do both methods regularly on downshifts but haven't noticed a different with the auto revmatching.
Exactly. I would just pay attention like you suggested and you'll notice it. At first I thought it was the car, but I think it was driver error and the logic wants to see clutching in and out for each selected gear.
'15 /// M4 - YMB/SO - Sold
'12 E92 ///M3 ZCP - AW/FR - Sold
Appreciate 1
      11-26-2014, 04:25 PM   #9
MasterC17
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M3

Quote:

Are you sure it's going into M mode (and consequently your settings)? Just because I've noticed if you hit the M button too quickly after startup sometimes it just doesn't register.
      11-26-2014, 06:47 PM   #10
l!ve
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3 F80

Garage List
I have a love-hate relationship with my rev match function.

Yes, sometimes, I don't think it works and yes, I press M1 right after start. There are so many things I need to do on this M3 before I can drive off that I can't afford to wait before pressing M1!!!

Basically, I don't rely on the rev match function at this point. If it works, it works, if not, I am doing my own rev matching anyway.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2014, 07:17 PM   #11
Aralan
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 SO/SO

Haven't had this happen at all. I usually hit M1 immediately after starting the car. Haven't had it fail to match on downshifts or upshifts.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2014, 07:23 PM   #12
specracer
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2 CS HS 6MT M8 Comp

I absolutely HATE rev match, I always am forced to go to sport plus, but I also hate the twitchy non linear throttle in sport plus. So basically I can't find any mode I like. I bought a 6mt to shift and drive on my own.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2014, 07:44 PM   #13
Falafel Combo
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 xDrive50i

Oh crap!
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2014, 08:08 PM   #14
rubber_ducky
Colonel
Rep
Drives: roach coach

I'm surprised that nobody has figured out how to disable this feature in the sport and eco modes.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2014, 08:08 PM   #15
l!ve
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by specracer View Post
I absolutely HATE rev match, I always am forced to go to sport plus, but I also hate the twitchy non linear throttle in sport plus. So basically I can't find any mode I like. I bought a 6mt to shift and drive on my own.
But the good thing about this feature that I like is that if you rev match, it doesn't interfere. So I keep it on Sport.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2014, 06:37 AM   #16
SOM3
Banned
Rep
Drives: SO F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by specracer View Post
Time to sell the car and move on.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2014, 08:10 AM   #17
specracer
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2 CS HS 6MT M8 Comp

Winter has hit, so won't drive car much if at all until spring, hoping for a fix over the winter. I almost didn't buy it because of it. Test drove it, convinced myself I could drive over it, ignore it, but now learning how much it bothers me. Again hopefully a fix will come along. Spoke to a well regarded tuner in the Boston area, and they thought they might have a solution at some point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOM3 View Post
Time to sell the car and move on.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2014, 08:44 AM   #18
Andrew115
Major
Rep
Drives: Silver Bullet

In certain cases with casual driving wouldn't the car electronics find that a blip isn't necessary and you already at the optimal rpm for the shift - leading to no "rev match"?

Seems quite likely to me.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2014, 09:08 AM   #19
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
From the F8X tech info documentation it is mentioned that the clutch needs to be fully depressed for the rev match feature to be activated. Is it possible that sometimes you are not fully depressing the clutch pedal?
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2014, 12:43 PM   #20
sonicgrounds
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew115
In certain cases with casual driving wouldn't the car electronics find that a blip isn't necessary and you already at the optimal rpm for the shift - leading to no "rev match"?

+1 this in fact is the case, since the whole point of rev matching is to match the revs, and when it is naturally matched it won't have to do anything, so it doesn't. Makes sense to me. I personally like sport plus and doing my own rev matching and heal toe downshifting
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2014, 12:59 PM   #21
solstice
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicgrounds View Post
+1 this in fact is the case, since the whole point of rev matching is to match the revs, and when it is naturally matched it won't have to do anything, so it doesn't. Makes sense to me. I personally like sport plus and doing my own rev matching and heal toe downshifting
Yup, the size of the blip corresponds to the level of rev match needed. However in my car the blips seems to be capped while the engine is cold. It's really a great feature if you spend enough time with it to adapt and learn to trust it.

Some people like the right foot tap dance of heel-toeing but for us that don't care if you need to do it or not the auto match is progress of the MT without taking away any advantages of it IMO. Cool and pretty flawlessly working in my car.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2014, 06:53 PM   #22
l!ve
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew115 View Post

I have been "testing" it out and found that pressing the M1 button quickly after start doesn't affect rev matching. It's what he said above. I guess usually right after a cold start, I don't push the car, so it felt like the rev match was less active.
Appreciate 0