M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > M5 versus...

12-29-2014, 10:17 PM   #1
znammzM6
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 SG M6

moving to the dark side?

lately, the thought of replacing my 6 months old 2014 M6 with a 2012 Porsche 911 Turbo S cross my mind...=/ Found one 2012 Porsche 911 Turbo S with 15,xxx miles offered at Pacific Porsche for $111,xxx with Porsche Certified. Probably can get it down to $105,xxx. What do the forum members think I should do???

versus My M6

Appreciate 0
      12-29-2014, 10:37 PM   #2
Bimmer6
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 458SPY, GT3RS on the way

Quote:
Originally Posted by znammzM6 View Post
lately, the thought of replacing my 6 months old 2014 M6 with a 2012 Porsche 911 Turbo S cross my mind...=/ Found one 2012 Porsche 911 Turbo S with 15,xxx miles offered at Pacific Porsche for $111,xxx with Porsche Certified. Probably can get it down to $105,xxx. What do the forum members think I should do???

versus My M6

I'm a firm believer in getting what you want , but since you're asking for assistance. First, you're going to take a major beating on a new M6 to move to a 997 turbo that will continue to depreciate. Turbo's are the worst depreciating 911's to purchase. Based on those two scenarios I say it's a losing financial position. Not sure I see the turbo as an upgrade ..........
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2014, 10:59 PM   #3
znammzM6
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I don't know either, I will go get a test drive tomorrow. I test drove a 2012 911 Turbo Cab about a month ago and was not impress. This is an "S" so I don't know if it makes any difference. My car is running on KW and CP bars and BMS tune so the different might be even less...I don't know...I guess we'll see tomorrow lol.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2014, 02:27 AM   #4
clar
Major
Singapore
Rep
Drives: M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer6 View Post
Not sure I see the turbo as an upgrade ..........
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2014, 02:30 AM   #5
clar
Major
Singapore
Rep
Drives: M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by znammzM6 View Post
I don't know either, I will go get a test drive tomorrow. I test drove a 2012 911 Turbo Cab about a month ago and was not impress. This is an "S" so I don't know if it makes any difference. My car is running on KW and CP bars and BMS tune so the different might be even less...I don't know...I guess we'll see tomorrow lol.
I certainly won't do that if I am in your position. Both cars are good at going really fast in the straights with the M6 better in terms of creature comfort and looks. Both are not hugely entertaining cars, so really no point in taking a huge hit financially to get the TT. Why not shop around for more options?
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2014, 06:52 AM   #6
Bimmer6
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by clar View Post
I know shoulds crazy, but my logic here it's a 2012 possiblly built in 2011 close to a 4 year old car. To boot the hugh financial penalty for a older model car that will have no value. My buddy just bought the same turbo last year for 131k ......

Not good to read these post if you want to divorce your car with all the flippers on this board.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2014, 08:33 AM   #7
ColdList
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: McLaren 675LT / C7 Z07

Quote:
My buddy just bought the same turbo last year for 131k ......
Quote:
Not good to read these post if you want to divorce your car with all the flippers on this board.
Your buddy overpaid even for last year.

I disagree with everyone. It depends on what you want. The 997 TTS will certainly be a lot more fun car to drive than the M6. And on the financial side, the TTS had done a LOT more flattening out than the M6 has yet to do. The sooner you get out of the M6 the more $ you will preserve. They drop like rocks. Got a HUGE discount on my wife's 2013 cab when we bought it so after negotiating the price I flipped it to a lease to protect us from loss. Glad I did. 18 mos. later and it is WAY upside down with only 7K miles.

My very BEST advice to you would be to not flip into an "almost" car, meaning one that is almost the car that you want, with thoughts of trading to a slightly more expensive and desirable one later. Step up now to what you REALLY want (assuming that is the case...only saying this IN CASE this is your thinking because you don't seem to be fully sold on the 997 TT cars based upon your comment about the cab you drove). Baby steps in flipping cost you a LOT more and you end up thinking "gee, with all the trade losses I could have just had ____ to begin with."

2016 McLaren 675LT - Chicane Grey
2016 Corvette Z07 - Artic White
2016 BMW F86 X6M - Black Sapphire Metallic

Last edited by ColdList; 01-18-2015 at 07:49 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2014, 09:05 AM   #8
WCH
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 M8C convertible

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdList View Post
My very BEST advice to you would be to not flip into an "almost" car, meaning one that is almost the car that you want, with thoughts of trading to a slightly more expensive and desirable one later. Step up now to what you REALLY want (assuming that is the case...only saying this IN CASE this is your thinking because you don't seem to be fully sold on the 997 TT cars based upon your comment about the cab you drove). Baby steps in flipping cost you a LOT more and you end up thinking "gee, with all the trade losses I could have just had ____ to begin with."
I agree with this sage advice. Unless you love the 2012 TTS (which sounds unclear) you will probably be looking for something else uncomfortably soon.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2014, 10:01 AM   #9
Vic55
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M8 Competition Coupe

Irony:

I sold my 997.2 TT (2011) to get my M6 (F13). The TT was a great car but like others said, it might not be an upgrade in reality based on luxury and mixed performance numbers. If it was a 991 TT then its a no brainer but here its a toss up. That black Turbo S looks mean and has a stance to it that no M6 can match. A tune and exhaust make it very formidable since it has the PDK. I still do reflect back at times and wonder why I changed out my 2011 Turbo for the M6 as the Turbo lasted almost 2 years and the M6 last 12 months. If I had to do it again I would NOT have done it. I am into a more driver and handling experience than ever and the Turbo has that part owned. I guess I would ask, if its a must you change then do it as your caught up in the depreciation bag on both ends with the M6 and the Turbo S. I always like change even if its not 100% the car you want. How many cars can really fit that bill? With me, only the Ferrari, GT3, Black Series, and R8 V10 in my life have made that cut and I still have them all. There are few choice others that are not longer with me but Id be dating myself (2004 E55, 2002 M5, 2007 997.1 TT)

Finally, buying cars like this should rarely be based on financials but based on passion and want (not need). None of these cars carry any remote connection to a financial investment.
2020 Audi R8 V10 Performance Suzuka Gray
2012 Mercedes Benz C63 AMG Black Series Obsidian Black
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2014, 11:07 AM   #10
Bimmer6
Colonel
Rep

Quote:

I disagree with everyone. It depends on what you want. The 997 TTS will certainly be a lot more fun car to drive than the M6. And on the financial side, the TTS had done a LOT more flattening out than the M6 has yet to do. The sooner you get out of the M6 the more $ you will preserve. They drop like rocks. Got a HUGE discount on my wife's 2013 can when we bought it so after negotiating the price I flipped it to a lease to protect us from loss. Glad I did. 18 mos. later and it is WAY upside down with only 7K miles.

My position was more or less do you what to flip a new car for a 4 year car? 997 Turbo is not done depreciating are you serious? My buddy that had bought the turbo the 991 turbo was not out, and and he bought a fully loaded turbo S. Neither here nor there dropping a new car for a 4 year car not too good unless it's a scud ............one high production car for another equals negative all around. Good luck with on the decisions by the way.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2014, 11:37 AM   #11
Vic55
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M8 Competition Coupe

Quote:
My position was more or less do you what to flip a new car for a 4 year car? 997 Turbo is not done depreciating are you serious? My buddy that had bought the turbo the 991 turbo was not out, and and he bought a fully loaded turbo S. Neither here nor there dropping a new car for a 4 year car not too good unless it's a scud ............one high production car for another equals negative all around. Good luck with on the decisions by the way.
FWIW from real experience, I bought my 2011 Turbo non S for 138k in June of 2011 and sold it in Jan of 2013 for 120k---- 18k in 18 months is really strong for that car. Of course this based on production, dealer wants, market conditions, logistics etc. but the major part of any depreciation is at the onset of first delivery. I lost 20k plus on the Turbo S in less than 9 months of ownership which is more than I lost the entire time with my 997.2. Right now the 991 Turbo S is a very soft car and the cabs are holding stronger along with the non S units (991 market) because Porsche flooded the S market so to speak. I think if he gets the right price on the 997 he will be just fine since the majority of the depreciation (slope wise) hit early on and when the 991 Turbo came out over a year ago.

For me I never go in expecting anything but to pay out of my ass because I sell so fast but its important that I dont overpay as well because thats just not prudent buying no matter how much or how little money one has.
2020 Audi R8 V10 Performance Suzuka Gray
2012 Mercedes Benz C63 AMG Black Series Obsidian Black
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2014, 01:34 PM   #12
ColdList
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
997 Turbo is not done depreciating are you serious? .
I didn't say they were "done" depreciating. I said they have flattened out more than the M6 and I certainly stand behind that. And if you reference Vic's quote below you can see why I also stand by my statement that your friend paid too much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic55 View Post
FWIW from real experience, I bought my 2011 Turbo non S for 138k in June of 2011 and sold it in Jan of 2013 for 120k

Appreciate 0
      12-30-2014, 01:39 PM   #13
ColdList
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
For me I never go in expecting anything but to pay out of my ass because I sell so fast but its important that I dont overpay as well because thats just not prudent buying no matter how much or how little money one has.
Agreed 1000%. ALL of these cars are "wants" and not "investments". Thus my comment above about this purchase being about what you "want". I am giving real thought to dumping my MAC as soon as it is warm selling season and IF I buy anything else it will be a very limited production car. I can afford to keep the MAC easily since I basically paid cash for it but I am growing tired of pissing the $ away on depreciation. Of course, I believe in having fun and I can blame a lot of this more rational thinking on the GT3 because I am having SO MUCH FUN in it that I realize I don't need to hand $ over to these dealers in such quantities in order to get my fix.

Proud Henry?

Appreciate 0
      12-30-2014, 02:02 PM   #14
Bimmer6
Colonel
Rep

Padawan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdList
Quote:
Agreed 1000%. ALL of these cars are "wants" and not "investments". Thus my comment above about this purchase being about what you "want". I am giving real thought to dumping my MAC as soon as it is warm selling season and IF I buy anything else it will be a very limited production car. I can afford to keep the MAC easily since I basically paid cash for it but I am growing tired of pissing the $ away on depreciation. Of course, I believe in having fun and I can blame a lot of this more rational thinking on the GT3 because I am having SO MUCH FUN in it that I realize I don't need to hand $ over to these dealers in such quantities in order to get my fix.

Proud Henry?
Yes I'm happy to see that you have made the transition. I caution you the force is strong young Skywalker.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2014, 02:54 PM   #15
ARKONE
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '11 458; '16 Escalade; '12 Z4

Quote:

I disagree with everyone. It depends on what you want. The 997 TTS will certainly be a lot more fun car to drive than the M6. And on the financial side, the TTS had done a LOT more flattening out than the M6 has yet to do. The sooner you get out of the M6 the more $ you will preserve. They drop like rocks. Got a HUGE discount on my wife's 2013 can when we bought it so after negotiating the price I flipped it to a lease to protect us from loss. Glad I did. 18 mos. later and it is WAY upside down with only 7K miles.

Would you be willing to share what you paid for your M6? Saw the sig and I am shopping around for a nearly identical one.

But to the OP: The Turbo S is a different car than the M6. I drove a Carrera 4s before elimating them because the M6 is a better alternative. I viewed the Porsche as a far more aggressive car since it lacked a lot of creature comforts I've taken for granted in BMWs.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2014, 03:52 PM   #16
znammzM6
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I paid 113K 7 months ago for a 127K MSRP. It was the last 2014 on the lots. I traded my 2013 M5 in for it, got 78.5K for it with 14K miles. Bought it in Oct 2013 for 84K with 7K miles, MSRP was 104K. Hope it help get you a better deal.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2014, 07:29 PM   #17
znammzM6
Second Lieutenant
Rep

The "BOSS" disapprove the trade and said no more flipping for the next 5-6 years and she will okay for me to buy a new 911 TT S or a used 650S. After reading all the comments from everyone, it generally a bad trade so I will not move to the dark side, yet.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2015, 12:45 AM   #18
bmellion
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdList
Quote:
My buddy just bought the same turbo last year for 131k ......
Quote:

2013 BMW M6 Eisenmann Race(gone)
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2015, 02:22 PM   #19
bluekn8286
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 BMW M3 Dinan S1

I would definitely steer you away from this (no pun intended)
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2015, 09:44 PM   #20
NewM3driver
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 ZCP

Buy a 993. They are appreciating by at least 10K per year.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2015, 11:42 PM   #21
shahano
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 21' M2C 6spd ,11' 1M, 88' M3

The best is to go for a 991 turbo S or GT3. Don't flip a car to go to an older used model.
Good luck
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2015, 07:10 AM   #22
RPiM5
Major General
Rep
Drives: Black M5

What Vic said. If it was a 991 Turbo S, then it would be a no brainer.

Appreciate 0