EXXEL Distributions
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

01-11-2015, 07:20 PM   #1
OrangeD1sco
Private
Rep
Drives: None

Do sideview mirrors angle down when you are in reverse?

Crazy question here - during ED, I'm almost positive that whenever I went into reverse the sideview mirrors both angled down to help you back up. Since the car arrived in the states, it doesn't seem to work anymore. Is there a setting for this somewhere? Is this some european thing that got coded out when it arrived in the states? Or am I just crazy and it never did this?
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2015, 07:28 PM   #2
M3Robby
Private
Rep
Drives: BSM/SS F80 ///M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeD1sco View Post
Crazy question here - during ED, I'm almost positive that whenever I went into reverse the sideview mirrors both angled down to help you back up. Since the car arrived in the states, it doesn't seem to work anymore. Is there a setting for this somewhere? Is this some european thing that got coded out when it arrived in the states? Or am I just crazy and it never did this?
Button on the driver door. Slide to the left and side mirror tilts down. Slide right and it stays as is. Took me a while to figure it out as well.
Appreciate 6
      01-11-2015, 07:31 PM   #3
GOLFFRR
Rep
Drives: GOLFFRR cart

^^+1 mirror adjustment select switch.

/thread

BEFORE YOU BUY YOUR NEXT BMW, EMAIL OUR GUY KOTE FIRST!
Kote M Sales:Kotem@bmwofcamarillo.com Cell:805-368-9101
vipfinance@bmwofcamarillo.com for warranties!
Appreciate 1
      01-11-2015, 08:40 PM   #4
bdoooh
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 SSII M5 CP

And if that doesn't work.. Your shifter sensor is bad if you have a 6MT.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2015, 10:48 AM   #5
dclowd9901
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 AW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Robby
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeD1sco View Post
Button on the driver door. Slide to the left and side mirror tilts down. Slide right and it stays as is. Took me a while to figure it out as well.
Such a weird and counterintuitive behavior, but also invaluable once you know it.
      01-12-2015, 06:36 PM   #6
Accel Junky
High on Acceleration
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 M3, 90 GTR, 21 Gladiator

Didn't know about the switch. Cool.

Can't stand this feature though. I don't need to see the ground I need to see behind and beside the car. My wife likes this feature on her F80 though. I don't remember turning mine off but mine is off and hers is on.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2015, 07:03 PM   #7
M3Robby
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accel Junky View Post
Didn't know about the switch. Cool.

Can't stand this feature though. I don't need to see the ground I need to see behind and beside the car. My wife likes this feature on her F80 though. I don't remember turning mine off but mine is off and hers is on.
I like it for parallel parking as you can see the curb and not scratch/scuff the wheels. Limited use based on where you park but one scuff is one too many.
Appreciate 2
      01-12-2015, 07:24 PM   #8
Accel Junky
High on Acceleration
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Robby View Post
I like it for parallel parking as you can see the curb and not scratch/scuff the wheels. Limited use based on where you park but one scuff is one too many.
That does make sense though I have a system where I roll down my window and look straight down to hug the curb as close as possible without damage. Allows me to park with extra space on the passenger side for other cars. The benefits of parking away from others without being as obvious.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2015, 07:34 PM   #9
M3Robby
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accel Junky View Post
That does make sense though I have a system where I roll down my window and look straight down to hug the curb as close as possible without damage. Allows me to park with extra space on the passenger side for other cars. The benefits of parking away from others without being as obvious.
True, very reliable. Separately, thanks for the vids on the valve mod, top notch.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2015, 07:37 PM   #10
Vigilant
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Cautiously fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accel Junky
Quote:
+1. I do exactly the same thing.

2022 BSM G80 Comp X-drive
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2015, 08:06 PM   #11
Accel Junky
High on Acceleration
United_States
Rep

Quote:
True, very reliable. Separately, thanks for the vids on the valve mod, top notch.
No prob, I love making car videos!
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2015, 09:36 AM   #12
Padfan9
Sergeant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M8 Competition Coupe

Quote:
+2

'22 F92 M8 Competition Coupe - Frozen Brilliant White | 8 Speed DCT | Sakhir Orange/Black Full Leather | M Perf CF Exterior Package | M Perf. CF Exhaust | BBS FI-R 21" Wheels |
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2015, 11:59 AM   #13
woosolow
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW F80 (2015 M3)

another new question:

i know how to engage the tilt down function by shifting to reverse, however, is there any way to adjust the tilting angle on the mirror?

since i came off from e92, and i realized that the tilting angle of the f80 is way too much... i know its purpose is trying to show u the parking lines on the passenger side for your ease of access to the spot. but i think it tilts way too much. sometimes i need to crawl down abit in order to see if there is any obstacle (concrete pole).

i just want to know if there is anyone knows if it can be adjust?
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2015, 12:04 PM   #14
Needsdecaf
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2024 G80 Comp xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by woosolow View Post
another new question:

i know how to engage the tilt down function by shifting to reverse, however, is there any way to adjust the tilting angle on the mirror?

since i came off from e92, and i realized that the tilting angle of the f80 is way too much... i know its purpose is trying to show u the parking lines on the passenger side for your ease of access to the spot. but i think it tilts way too much. sometimes i need to crawl down abit in order to see if there is any obstacle (concrete pole).

You couldn't on my F10 535. Would be nice if they did that on the F80 (and would render my silly point moot! )
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2015, 12:06 PM   #15
woosolow
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW F80 (2015 M3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Needsdecaf View Post
You couldn't on my F10 535. Would be nice if they did that on the F80 (and would render my silly point moot! )
u mean this option is available to adjust the tilting angle on f10 535?
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2015, 02:29 PM   #16
NorCal f80
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Most cars do something similar. Although I've seen where the switch has to be in the middle for the auto fold to work..... but obviously not in this car.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2015, 01:57 AM   #17
FirstM3
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BSM/SO M3

Resurrecting an old thread, but quick question. Is the passenger side mirror the only one that angles down when reversing the car? Why does the driver side mirror not do that?
Delivery: 4/4/15.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2015, 06:25 AM   #18
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstM3 View Post
Resurrecting an old thread, but quick question. Is the passenger side mirror the only one that angles down when reversing the car? Why does the driver side mirror not do that?
Yes, it's just the passenger side. In the vast majority of situations, you won't be backing up near a curb on the drivers side, so BMW does not include that functionality as part of the package.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2015, 09:00 PM   #19
Mr. Hankey
Christmas Poo
Rep
Drives: Incoming G87

Quote:
Originally Posted by woosolow
another new question:

A little late to answer but you can code how far the mirror turns down. I coded it to about 1/2 the factory tilt as seemed a bit much for my needs...

FEM_BODY - ASP_BORDSTEINAUTOMATIK_DELTA, coded mine to werte=22

Read...no drive, the manual.
Appreciate 1
      04-15-2015, 10:49 AM   #20
Bsmith75
Private
Rep
Drives: '18 M3 ZCP & '20 Tesla Model Y

I love the mirror dip but have to admit the top view camera option has made it completely obsolete for me.

I don't have the entire drivers assist package either, just the top and side view camera features. Pretty useful if you live in the city with tight parking.

B.
Appreciate 3
      04-15-2015, 11:29 AM   #21
rubber_ducky
Colonel
Rep
Drives: roach coach

I ran into an issue last night that frustrated me.

I was backing down my narrow driveway/street with the mirror switch on the left, so my passenger side mirror dipped.

I needed to get around a car on my passenger side, so the mirror was going to be of more use to me if it didn't dip, so [while still in reverse] I moved the switch to the passenger side.

The mirror didn't move up. I then stopped the car and took the car out of reverse and then back. The mirror was still angled down.

I backed out of my driveway and put the car in first gear to drive away. Still no movement of the mirror. I needed to readjust my mirror as it wasn't going anywhere on its own.

Moral of the story... don't mess with the mirror switch while in reverse.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2015, 11:45 AM   #22
Mr. Hankey
Christmas Poo
Rep
Drives: Incoming G87

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubber_ducky View Post
I ran into an issue last night that frustrated me.

I was backing down my narrow driveway/street with the mirror switch on the left, so my passenger side mirror dipped.

I needed to get around a car on my passenger side, so the mirror was going to be of more use to me if it didn't dip, so [while still in reverse] I moved the switch to the passenger side.

The mirror didn't move up. I then stopped the car and took the car out of reverse and then back. The mirror was still angled down.

I backed out of my driveway and put the car in first gear to drive away. Still no movement of the mirror. I needed to readjust my mirror as it wasn't going anywhere on its own.

Moral of the story... don't mess with the mirror switch while in reverse.
That's interesting...maybe when you shutdown and restart it will go back to normal...If I move the switch back an forth in reverse it will go up and down...takes 2-3 seconds to actually start moving though. I adjusted how much mine dips so I can still use the mirror to navigate behind me as well as see the ground...
Appreciate 0