BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

BPM

02-09-2015, 12:22 PM   #1
xpunisherx
First Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2015 F82

Help diagnosing an issue while starting

Bottom line up front:

I need help diagnosing the cause of the following error codes:

Code: BMW 2B23 (Fault: Idle speed control valve control monitor / Misfire detection error summation / Idle speed control valve Control Monitor Bank 1)

Code: BMW 2B57 (Fault: check at lower top / Mass air flow sensor / Security concept manager action)

My initial suspect is it is the Idle Control Device...#1 in the pic below.

Name:  idle actuator.png
Views: 851
Size:  58.5 KB

Here is the back story:

The issue began last Thursday when I tried to leave work. The car had trouble starting and when it finally did it threw the car into limp mode:

Name:  i drive warning.png
Views: 718
Size:  193.3 KB

I've been able to reproduce the fault. It usually occurs after I've driven the car somewhat hard, and then go to park for a while. When I try to restart it, the problem occurs again. Here is a short video of it occurring...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OQzNynvleq4

I am not pressing the accelerator to cause the fluctuations in RPMs. That is the car doing it on its own.

The issue has occurred several times. I can prevent it from going into limp mode if I quickly tap the throttle which momentarily revs the engine. I do not have a video of that, but if you can imagine that when it is hovering at like 200 RPMs in the video above, I just tap the gas pedal and the thing fires up no problem. Then it settles back down at idle speed (~6000 RPMs).

Recent changes to the car include (all completed two weeks ago):
-Catless Full Borla Exhaust
-Stage 2 BPM Sport Tune (cold start removed)
-New spark plugs (OEM Plugs)

I drove the car for about 5 days with no issues after installing the mods/maintenance listed above. Since Thursday it has happened 4 times.

I mention the cold start being removed on the tune because the issue seems to happen when the car has been sitting for a while. It doesn't only happen when the engine is completely cold...and it doesn't always happen when the engine is completely cold...if that makes sense...lol.

Mike...maybe you can comment. Have you seen this issue before? Your input is always value added and greatly appreciated!

Here is a video of the normal start up, just for comparison sake...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aNOEAlpu_ME

Anyways, that is the gist of the problem. Any constructive ideas are welcome and greatly appreciated. I plan on going to the dealership tomorrow and ordering an idle control device. I will report back if that fixes the problem. If the $300 part doesn't fix it, I will like a baby...

thanks guys,

Last edited by xpunisherx; 02-09-2015 at 12:29 PM.. Reason: video links weren't working
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2015, 10:00 PM   #2
xpunisherx
First Lieutenant
Germany
Rep

So no one has ever run into this issue? Any help diagnosing this issue would be appreciated. Thanks.
      02-10-2015, 03:35 AM   #3
IMG
United_States
Rep
Drives: E36 M3 Track car,Ess E90 M3 DD

Quote:
Originally Posted by xpunisherx View Post
Bottom line up front:

I need help diagnosing the cause of the following error codes:

Code: BMW 2B23 (Fault: Idle speed control valve control monitor / Misfire detection error summation / Idle speed control valve Control Monitor Bank 1)

Code: BMW 2B57 (Fault: check at lower top / Mass air flow sensor / Security concept manager action)

My initial suspect is it is the Idle Control Device...#1 in the pic below.

Attachment 1155873

Here is the back story:

The issue began last Thursday when I tried to leave work. The car had trouble starting and when it finally did it threw the car into limp mode:

Attachment 1155862

I've been able to reproduce the fault. It usually occurs after I've driven the car somewhat hard, and then go to park for a while. When I try to restart it, the problem occurs again. Here is a short video of it occurring...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OQzNynvleq4

I am not pressing the accelerator to cause the fluctuations in RPMs. That is the car doing it on its own.

The issue has occurred several times. I can prevent it from going into limp mode if I quickly tap the throttle which momentarily revs the engine. I do not have a video of that, but if you can imagine that when it is hovering at like 200 RPMs in the video above, I just tap the gas pedal and the thing fires up no problem. Then it settles back down at idle speed (~6000 RPMs).

Recent changes to the car include (all completed two weeks ago):
-Catless Full Borla Exhaust
-Stage 2 BPM Sport Tune (cold start removed)
-New spark plugs (OEM Plugs)

I drove the car for about 5 days with no issues after installing the mods/maintenance listed above. Since Thursday it has happened 4 times.

I mention the cold start being removed on the tune because the issue seems to happen when the car has been sitting for a while. It doesn't only happen when the engine is completely cold...and it doesn't always happen when the engine is completely cold...if that makes sense...lol.

Mike...maybe you can comment. Have you seen this issue before? Your input is always value added and greatly appreciated!

Here is a video of the normal start up, just for comparison sake...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aNOEAlpu_ME

Anyways, that is the gist of the problem. Any constructive ideas are welcome and greatly appreciated. I plan on going to the dealership tomorrow and ordering an idle control device. I will report back if that fixes the problem. If the $300 part doesn't fix it, I will like a baby...

thanks guys,
Try and install the stock file back on the car just to make sure the file didn't get corrupted while loading !

Here's a link to what you looking for :
http://forums.m3cutters.co.uk/showthread.php?t=102288
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2015, 08:46 AM   #4
xpunisherx
First Lieutenant
Germany
Rep

I appreciate the information. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.
      02-10-2015, 08:43 PM   #5
BPMSport
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: Harrop M3 / F10 M5 / F82 M4

Garage List
2000 BMW M5  [0.00]
1990 BMW 735i Turbo  [0.00]
2008 BMW M3  [7.50]
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M5  [0.00]
Likely a faulty ICV. Flash back to stock and you'll have the same issues. Most common failure point on this car aside from actuators.

-----| Like us on Facebook | Instagram || Tuning Information | Remote Coding |-----
----Visit us at www.BPMSport.com - Emotion. Driven. | Toll Free: (888) 557-5133----
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2015, 10:43 PM   #6
xpunisherx
First Lieutenant
Germany
Rep

Thanks Mike. I am waiting for the part to come in, and once replaced I will report back.
      02-11-2015, 02:59 AM   #7
IMG
United_States
Rep
Drives: E36 M3 Track car,Ess E90 M3 DD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Benvo
Likely a faulty ICV. Flash back to stock and you'll have the same issues. Most common failure point on this car aside from actuators.
The reason I said revert back to stock file cause I saw this happen twice. But no doubt the ICV in these cars doesn't last long. Hope all is well Mike !
Appreciate 0