Next Level Auto Brokers
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > F80 M3 / M4 Pricing, Ordering, European Delivery

08-11-2015, 04:34 PM   #1
TheDiddy
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: MW F80

ED Super Short Trip Planning

So seems like most of the threads here are about the longer trips with driving the car around Europe. But what about those of use that are just out and backers. Now dont get me wrong, when I booked my delivery date, I had planned on having a week or two out there but things have come up and now the trip has turned into an out and back.

I am leaving LA on the 16th, arrive in Munich on the 17th, delivery on the 18th, and back home on the 19th early morning.

My questions are:

Where is the best hotel to stay in terms of ease of travel to and from the airport and Welt (since thats the only two places ill probably go)

If the hotel is in airport area, whats the best way to travel to the Welt?

Places to eat near the Welt that are a must that I can hit in the two nights I am there?

Anything else I am forgetting?

Also I tried to get a factory tour but they were all booked up. Any way to get in?
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2015, 05:10 PM   #2
OneRib
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 AY M3

The only tour suggestion would be to see if there are any no shows on the days you are there. Also take the German tour. You won't understand much but you can still see the factory.

Recommend Augustine Keller for food and beer.

Visit the English Gardens (watch out for nudity in certain sections, if that is going to bother you)

You can stay at the Airport Hilton and take the train into the city to get to the Welt. If you stay there, you can use the complimentary shuttle to drive you to the Welt from the airport.
Appreciate 1
      08-11-2015, 07:36 PM   #3
mptpa
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M850i

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDiddy
So seems like most of the threads here are about the longer trips with driving the car around Europe. But what about those of use that are just out and backers. Now dont get me wrong, when I booked my delivery date, I had planned on having a week or two out there but things have come up and now the trip has turned into an out and back.

I am leaving LA on the 16th, arrive in Munich on the 17th, delivery on the 18th, and back home on the 19th early morning.

My questions are:

Where is the best hotel to stay in terms of ease of travel to and from the airport and Welt (since thats the only two places ill probably go)

Places to eat near the Welt that are a must that I can hit in the two nights I am there?

Also I tried to get a factory tour but they were all booked up. Any way to get in?
Walking distance hotel - Sheraton Four Points.

I have done this short trips for 3 of my 5 EDs.
2015 M4 (ED Aug 2014) Austin Yellow/Sakhir Orange, EXEC, DCT, LED, Driver Assist (SOLD)
2015 328GT (ED Apr 15), White, loaded (Wife's)
2012 X3 2.8, Dark Blue/Red (Wife's SOLD)
Retired: 2011 535i, ED / 2008 335is / 2006 525i ED,
2003 525i ED / 2002 Audi TT
Appreciate 1
      08-11-2015, 07:38 PM   #4
CosmosMpower
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F87c, GT3, MK7 GTI

Following this thread. I'll probably do a 7 day ED trip closer to the OP than the 3 week journeys most of ED people get to do.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2015, 09:39 PM   #5
RowanBuds
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 3 pedal 718, G05, MkVII GTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDiddy

My questions are:

Here goes:

Arrive. Go to Augustiner Keller. Stumble around central Munich. A cool little city to see. Catch Glockenspiel show if possible. Try (and fail) to sleep before delivery day.

Wake up early. Pace around room for a little while. Catch U-bahn to Welt. Get car. Leave. Drive to Fussen. Go to the official Neuschwanstein photo spot from the other forum. Leave the spot, make a left at the stop sign. Drive a mile or so and see Hohenschwangau. Great photos from both of these locations.

Drive back to Munich using as circuitous as possible a route to enjoy some winding roads driving northwest. Then catch the autobahn east back to Munich for drop off.

Sleep. Wake. Board plane. Struggle for the next 6-9 weeks. Get car. Life complete.

Le Mans Blue F80 - Munich 5-22-2015 / US 7-7-2015 / SOLD 9-17-2022
ED Recap
Arctic Grey G05 - Spartanburg 8-29-2019
X5 PCD Recap
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2015, 11:04 PM   #6
OneRib
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmosMpower View Post
Following this thread. I'll probably do a 7 day ED trip closer to the OP than the 3 week journeys most of ED people get to do.
I think the majority of trips are about 6-10 days. The 3 week "sabbaticals" just stand out more. Also this forum significantly skews the average in many categories. Length of ED is one of them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RowanBuds View Post
Here goes:

Try (and fail) to sleep before delivery day.

Wake up early. Pace around room for a little while.
Am I the only one who had no trouble sleeping?
I feel like some weird kid who oversleeps on Christmas morning.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2015, 11:15 PM   #7
DocWeatherington
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 CP

Garage List
23 Bmw M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneRib View Post

Probably because you know your Christmas present will be there, regardless of how much you sleep.. I always had chores Christmas morning before the gifts.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2015, 12:17 AM   #8
OneRib
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocWeatherington View Post
I always had chores Christmas morning before the gifts.
You do realize you were abused as a child right? That's a reportable offense. Get counseling, don't pass that tradition onto your kids.

C'mon somebody else had to get a decent nights sleep besides me.
Appreciate 1
      08-12-2015, 02:58 AM   #9
DocWeatherington
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 CP

Garage List
23 Bmw M3  [10.00]
Quote:
You do realize you were abused as a child right? That's a reportable offense. Get counseling, don't pass that tradition onto your kids.

C'mon somebody else had to get a decent nights sleep besides me.
I did get decent sleep lol.. so your not the only one OneRib

I know, I am damaged enough probably won't have kids..
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2015, 09:04 AM   #10
RowanBuds
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneRib
Quote:
I think the majority of trips are about 6-10 days. The 3 week "sabbaticals" just stand out more. Also this forum significantly skews the average in many categories. Length of ED is one of them.

Quote:
Here goes:

Try (and fail) to sleep before delivery day.

Wake up early. Pace around room for a little while.
Nope you're not the only one. I slept very well, but the caveat is that I got myself heavily intoxicated that night. Slept like a baby.

ED Recap
X5 PCD Recap
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2015, 06:53 PM   #11
OneRib
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Nope you're not the only one. I slept very well, but the caveat is that I got myself heavily intoxicated that night. Slept like a baby.
Wait a second. Didn't your ED involve your wife's birthday, copious amounts of alcohol, and some interesting relief stops during the beginning of your time in the car?

Yeah, I'm sure you both slept very well.... in the bathroom!
Appreciate 1
      08-12-2015, 07:16 PM   #12
RowanBuds
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Wait a second. Didn't your ED involve your wife's birthday, copious amounts of alcohol, and some interesting relief stops during the beginning of your time in the car?

Yeah, I'm sure you both slept very well.... in the bathroom!
yeah, about that.

Your memory serves you correct. I handled it with nary a care in the world - the boss, not so much.

Christened yet another of my brand new cars in her special way - they've all been good luck, so that's the way the world turns.

ED Recap
X5 PCD Recap
Appreciate 1
      08-12-2015, 09:55 PM   #13
DBACE
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 LCI

Garage List
2016 BMW M3  [10.00]
2005 CBR1000RR  [10.00]
1995 ST1100  [9.00]
2009 Camry Hybrid  [0.00]
Short Term Trips Cause BMW to Reduce ED Fiscal Benefit??

Not sure how this type of trip has encouraged BMW to potentially (haven't seen an actual bulletin, maybe it's posted) reduce the fiscal benefit of doing ED starting in 2016. I don't mean to jack this thread, but any thoughts or known rationale as to why this short type of trip is frowned upon and is increasing the cost of an ED car?
      08-13-2015, 12:00 AM   #14
OneRib
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBACE View Post
Not sure how this type of trip has encouraged BMW to potentially (haven't seen an actual bulletin, maybe it's posted) reduce the fiscal benefit of doing ED starting in 2016. I don't mean to jack this thread, but any thoughts or known rationale as to why this short type of trip is frowned upon and is increasing the cost of an ED car?
There are multiple theories.

1- Lack of tourism money from the short trips.
2- Dealers complaining they are getting cut out of profits.
3- BMW feels customers are breaking the "spirit" of the ED experience.
4- The program has become too popular and this is a way to discourage some EDs and increase profits on EDs that still occur.
5- Increased cost of providing insurance, registration, staffing, etc.
6- Pure profit move.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2015, 08:19 AM   #15
CosmosMpower
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
There are multiple theories.

1- Lack of tourism money from the short trips.
2- Dealers complaining they are getting cut out of profits.
3- BMW feels customers are breaking the "spirit" of the ED experience.
4- The program has become too popular and this is a way to discourage some EDs and increase profits on EDs that still occur.
5- Increased cost of providing insurance, registration, staffing, etc.
6- Pure profit move.
Probably mostly #2 and #5 honestly.

I doubt BMW cares how much tourism money the few ED people are making for the country or any of the other reasons.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2015, 10:31 AM   #16
verruckt
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F82 M4, G05 X5, Gen 2 Raptor

Actually BMW could care less about #2. Dealership profitability / margin isn't the concern of Group in the US.

I'm weighing heavily to #1 and #3. BMW has done this traditionally to bolster tourism for the city and region, and for this they get A LOT of kickbacks from the city of Munich and the region of Bayern, including tax breaks.

People who do ED tend to spend a lot of money in the city / region and frequently return. In addition the reputation leads others to stay, spend money, etc.

What I believe is happening is the city and region is seeing that people are doing the in and out and it's costing BMW in a couple different ways. To counter this they're increasing ED costs to compensate for those doing the in and out / short stays as they can't specifically say "If you're doing ED you need to stay longer than X amount of days".

Just my 2 cents, but knowing Germany and the city / region, it's probably not far from the truth. The important question everyone should be asking is: Does this increase also apply to Europeans doing delivery at the welt?

Outside of that it could be #6 as it's a quick and easy way to bump up profits for the short term.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2015, 11:30 AM   #17
CosmosMpower
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by verruckt View Post
Actually BMW could care less about #2. Dealership profitability / margin isn't the concern of Group in the US.

I'm weighing heavily to #1 and #3. BMW has done this traditionally to bolster tourism for the city and region, and for this they get A LOT of kickbacks from the city of Munich and the region of Bayern, including tax breaks.

People who do ED tend to spend a lot of money in the city / region and frequently return. In addition the reputation leads others to stay, spend money, etc.

What I believe is happening is the city and region is seeing that people are doing the in and out and it's costing BMW in a couple different ways. To counter this they're increasing ED costs to compensate for those doing the in and out / short stays as they can't specifically say "If you're doing ED you need to stay longer than X amount of days".

Just my 2 cents, but knowing Germany and the city / region, it's probably not far from the truth. The important question everyone should be asking is: Does this increase also apply to Europeans doing delivery at the welt?

Outside of that it could be #6 as it's a quick and easy way to bump up profits for the short term.
I don't see how the amount of money can be quantified. Once someone picks up their car BMW has no idea how long people stay in the region after that. There's no tracking for "extra" tourist money spent by ED participants.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2015, 02:35 PM   #18
verruckt
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F82 M4, G05 X5, Gen 2 Raptor

Quote:
I don't see how the amount of money can be quantified. Once someone picks up their car BMW has no idea how long people stay in the region after that. There's no tracking for "extra" tourist money spent by ED participants.
Sure they know - your delivery date and your dropoff date are two things they know for certain. They also know your dropoff location and that you are present for these. From there it can be extrapolated that you've spent x amount of time in the area (and EU) and therefore an average amount of money.

Now, let's not even mention that you traveled to Munich and Germany in the first place...

Or the fact that getting tourist plates for short times costs BMW the same as someone staying longer... (another loss on their part)

nor registration...

nor insurance...

Why spend all this money incentivizing one to come to Munich and Europe to get their car when they only stay for so long, and there's no return to the local economy? In other words, why should I pay for a fancy meal to be prepared at my house, when you're going to just show up, eat, and leave?

Never underestimate the capability of German government (even the EU) - both local and regional to be involved with such things. Especially when it comes to money and tourism. You coming for an ED for a week or two brings far more money to Europe than you coming for 72 hours to arrive, then leave.

Not again, I'm not saying that's exactly what it is, but it makes perfect sense. You cost a business money, or increase their overhead and the costs are just transferred back to you in another way.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2015, 11:44 AM   #19
Miamiboyca
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 MW - F80

Garage List
2015 BMW F80 M3  [10.00]
Quote:

You can stay at the Airport Hilton and take the train into the city to get to the Welt. If you stay there, you can use the complimentary shuttle to drive you to the Welt from the airport.
+1 on the airport Hilton very convenient. The other recommendation is the Meridian. Top notch services and they had 3 ED guys staying there when I got my car. Guy took me down stairs and 3 cars taking up 5 spots - no one was even close to each other.

Quote:

I usually do 5 days,(2 trips) and I too slept like a baby

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBACE View Post
any thoughts or known rationale as to why this short type of trip is frowned upon and is increasing the cost of an ED car?
Total conjecture - its about building brand loyalty and margins. Anyone who blames a short tripper is not seeing the big picture. If it was about short trips, BMW would not let you drop off in less than xx number of days. They would make it a requirement.

2015 M3 - MW, Sonoma, Exec, LED, Adaptive, HK, 19" Light, 6M ED 7/7/2015 - Redelivery-8/18/15
2013 535i - SG, Sonoma, M-SPort, Prem, Tech, CW, Lux Seating, PDC, 6MT ED-10/11/2012/PCD -12/14/12
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2015, 09:40 PM   #20
TheDiddy
Private First Class
Rep

Whats the best way to easily travel around the city? Is Uber a thing over there? Do the drivers speak English?

On the topic of language, how is the country with English only speakers? Do most people speak English?

Seems the consensus is the stay near the airport then travel in.

The problem with my trip is that I wont be able to drive the car in the city. I am a little bummed but with the way my schedule is, just how it has ended up playing out.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2015, 09:58 PM   #21
Miamiboyca
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 MW - F80

Garage List
2015 BMW F80 M3  [10.00]
Most drivers speak English but cabs can get expensive.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2015, 10:01 PM   #22
TheDiddy
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miamiboyca View Post
Most drivers speak English but cabs can get expensive.
I am hoping I can do most of my traveling on the subway system. If not ill have to just uber or taxi i guess.
Appreciate 0