EXXEL Distributions
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

12-10-2015, 10:50 AM   #1
wkndracr
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 135i

Lowering perch?

So, when I read about the KW Has kit, and saw that the OEM perch is removable, I thought to myself "why can't they make an adjustable perch for the stock spring?" I really only want to eliminate the massive wheel gap in the front. I did a search and discovered that lowering perches do actually exist for older BMWs. Any rumors of something like this coming out for f8x? For anyone who had done the HAS install, what holds the front stock perch in place, and what stops someone from just hammering down the stock perch another 3/4 inch or so? I don't have my car yet, so I haven't had a chance to look and see for myself. I'd rather not mess with stock spring rates, especially with stock struts/shocks. This would seem like a no brainer part to develop and sell tons of since it seems many folks only want to lower the front anyway.

2016 M4 MG 6MT, sunroof. Some audio mods, Swift springs (so far).
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2015, 11:13 AM   #2
AlterZgo
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 23 X3 M40i, 21 911S, 24 Taycan

You really can't hammer the stock perch down a bit further because there is a little lip that prevents it from going down beyond the set point. Besides, you wouldn't want the perch to be able to just be pushed down further as it could keep lowering on its own.

So, you can either get the KW HAS or any other spring kit and install front springs only. Choose something with a less aggressive spring rate like Eibachs and you will be fine. Some will say this is crazy talk and the car will drive itself off the cliff b/c of mismatched front to rear spring rates. The reality is, most people couldn't even tell the difference. Again, the key is, you don't want to choose super stiff front springs - just something that gives a conservative drop with a conservative increase in spring rates, i.e. Eibachs.

I have KW HAS and, frankly, I'm kind of pissed that the HAS kit is press-fit as my driver's side left front spring collar came loose and snapped my sway bar end link. I had it repaired and hopefully, it was just an aberration. BTW, there's another thread on here where someone installed KW HAS on the fronts only and reports no issues with this set up.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2015, 12:05 PM   #3
wkndracr
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 135i

Thanks for the input. I figured there was something that kept the stock perch from sliding down. So what keeps the HAS collar from sliding? Is it just friction? That sounds sketchy. Being that my car doesn't have adaptive suspension, I figured I would eventually go with a full on coil over, but was looking for a fairly inexpensive solution to slightly lower the car in the meantime. I'll probably end up going with HAS for now anyway.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2015, 01:16 PM   #4
JamesGames
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E60 550i|F82 M4|F48 X1|VA STi

supremepower Used to make one for the older bmw platforms, but they don't have one now. Maybe enough demand and they can start getting them for the f8x?
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2015, 12:26 AM   #5
AlterZgo
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 23 X3 M40i, 21 911S, 24 Taycan

Quote:
Originally Posted by wkndracr View Post
Thanks for the input. I figured there was something that kept the stock perch from sliding down. So what keeps the HAS collar from sliding? Is it just friction? That sounds sketchy. Being that my car doesn't have adaptive suspension, I figured I would eventually go with a full on coil over, but was looking for a fairly inexpensive solution to slightly lower the car in the meantime. I'll probably end up going with HAS for now anyway.
Yes. It's basically the same as the stock perch, i.e. Friction and that little lip on the shock body that keeps it from sliding further down. If you want something inexpensive until you get coil overs, I'd just get some springs and call it a day. Less than half price of KW HAS and no worries about slipping spring collars.

With that said, people are having problems with the latest batch of swift springs, and H&R spring rates are pretty whack. So springs aren't exactly trouble free either. That is one good thing about KW HAS. IMO, the KW HAS spring rates are a perfect match for my non-adaptive suspension. Somewhat firmer than stock, yet has great comfort AND doesn't bottom out.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2015, 12:48 PM   #6
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

The F series are using an upper mount design that left no room to take it down any further.
Appreciate 0