EXXEL Distributions
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

03-10-2016, 02:50 PM   #1
Jerich0
Love to Drive
Rep
Drives: X4 & M4

Ride too hard?

Hey guys!

I had my F82 for almost a week now with 19s and Continentals, but feel the ride is soft and nice in some roads but others is extremely hard and the whole car rattles when passing certain kind of small bumps which never bothered me in my M235i even on sport mode.

I am running in comfort mode al the time in the F82... tires are 30 & 32... anything else I can do?

JC
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2016, 02:54 PM   #2
JoeFromPA
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '15 AW M3 6MT Stripper

Increase your PSI to 34 all around and put suspension in sport mode and re-assess.

Comfort mode is good for the large stuff and really rough roads. But you'll get better comfort with a slightly higher PSI and in sport mode. Yes, really.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2016, 03:23 PM   #3
Jerich0
Love to Drive
Rep
Drives: X4 & M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeFromPA View Post
Increase your PSI to 34 all around and put suspension in sport mode and re-assess.

Comfort mode is good for the large stuff and really rough roads. But you'll get better comfort with a slightly higher PSI and in sport mode. Yes, really.
Thanks for your response Joe...

But I want to understand how will a harder tire (more psi) help with comfort? By increasing PSI I am reducing the capacity of the tire to absorb.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2016, 04:06 PM   #4
JoeFromPA
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '15 AW M3 6MT Stripper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerich0 View Post

But I want to understand how will a harder tire (more psi) help with comfort? By increasing PSI I am reducing the capacity of the tire to absorb.
I don't disagree with you in theory, but it's a pretty consistent observation on here that on a stock car the ride comfort is decreased at the 30-32 PSI range. I don't know why. I've personally confirmed that 34-36 PSI seems to absorb minor stuff better and reduce some harshness.

Similarly, comfort mode is better on really rough and choppy tarmac....but sport mode is more comfortable on minor stuff and undulating roadway by providing better body control and more restricted body movement (compared to the greater bounciness of comfort mode).

You were looking for ideas and this is what i'm proposing you try next. Sometimes greater compliance actually decreases ride quality - as can be seen if you've ever had adjustable struts and put them on full soft.
      03-10-2016, 04:07 PM   #5
Warranty P
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: F83

Quote:

It won't, I think Joe is getting up there in age and lost all his feeling.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2016, 04:11 PM   #6
rr006rbc
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '23 M440i GC

It's an M. Not a Lincoln continental lol. Unless you have a bad spine or have lower back lumbar problems just take it as it is.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2016, 06:04 PM   #7
afadeev
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeFromPA

Suspension tuning is an art as much as it is science.
Everything from shock frequency response, spring rate, sway bar size, tire sidewall size and stiffness, chassis stiffness, to road imperfection size and shape, all come into consideration. And then some. People write PhD's and build careers around this stuff.

Or you can copy what others claim works and test it for yourself.

Personally, I find it that the car handles better and feels smoother in sport suspension mode at highway speeds. But at lower speeds, comfort suspension mode still rules. For me.
All my tires (street and track) are kept at ~35psi warm, mostly because I find that the tire grip is maximized at that pressure range for both PSS and RE71's. If that also happens to correlate to more compliant ride - great!

Every driver's definition of "comfortable" vs. "rough", and "loud" vs. "just right" differs. These perceptions are highly subjective.

The OP is in Mexico.
If that's a country, his roads are not doing him any favors.
The 19" tires with lower sidewall than 18" are further exacerbating the problem.

Try the different PSI and suspension setting.
If that doesn't do it, try 18" wheels with taller side-walls.
If that doesn't improve things enough, try moving to a place with better roads.

a
Appreciate 0