ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

03-27-2016, 06:43 AM   #1
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
CEL Question

I was getting an EVAP code P0440 that finally went away in the sense the CEL on my dash is fine. However my code reader still shows the code under "STORED" but nothing under "PENDING" nor "PERMANENT". Does that mean the code is actually gone?

I'm due for an inspection soon but I don't want to clear the codes because that'll result in clearing the readiness statuses which takes a while to reset. I don't daily the car so going through the drive cycles actually takes me weeks.
      03-27-2016, 08:31 AM   #2
longress
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4M Coupe

The cel turns off after three good tests by the DME, of the system fault that turned the light on, without a repeat failure but the code will remain stored until cleared by a scan tool or 40 consecutive warm up cycles without a repeat failure.
Your problem is intermittent.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2016, 09:36 AM   #3
Punisher3.0si
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 E86 manual

In Illinois you can have a code in the PCM (DME) and still pass emissions. The light just has to be commanded off and on a car like yours can only have one monitor not set. A 440 on European cars is usually an intermittenly sticking purge solenoid.

I've worked in the automotive field for 15 years and emissions testing is my speciality.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2016, 10:34 AM   #4
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by longress View Post
The cel turns off after three good tests by the DME, of the system fault that turned the light on, without a repeat failure but the code will remain stored until cleared by a scan tool or 40 consecutive warm up cycles without a repeat failure.
Your problem is intermittent.
Thanks very helpful. What's weird is I think removing the charcoal filter triggered the code. Tightening (and eventual replacing) the gas cap didn't fix if. I know others haven't had issues with removing the filter but I do recall a dealer bulletin warning of potential issues with the filter removal on the s54. Decided to throw it back in and sure enough the code went away in few days. Let's hope it stays off...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punisher3.0si View Post
In Illinois you can have a code in the PCM (DME) and still pass emissions. The light just has to be commanded off and on a car like yours can only have one monitor not set. A 440 on European cars is usually an intermittenly sticking purge solenoid.

I've worked in the automotive field for 15 years and emissions testing is my speciality.
Same deal in NY. I got by with 1 not ready status (cats). Moving to CT next month and it's not clear what their policy is. It says 1 not ready is fine but also states that you can't have a DTC related to cats. So I'm wondering if I can pass with 1 not ready (but related to cats).