Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

03-28-2016, 10:25 PM   #1
slave2gravity
Rep
Drives: '13 BMW 335i MSport

Required hours for full Dinan suspension install?

I'm likely adding a full suspension from Dinan to my M3 order:
  • Coilover suspension for M Adaptive cars
  • Anti-roll bars
  • Rear link
  • Tension strut ball joints

According to the Dinan site, the aggregate time spent to install everything is 22.2 hours. Before I ask my dealer for a labor quote, I'm curious if others know (or can make reasonably educated estimate) how long it would take to do the work. I imagine some of the steps overlap, so there should be some efficiencies in doing everything at once rather than separately, thus saving time. If true, it would be nice to know how much time savings I could reasonably argue for.

Thanks for any input!
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2016, 05:55 AM   #2
2kaccordocoupe
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Former ///M Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by slave2gravity
  • Anti-roll bars
  • Rear link

According to the Dinan site, the aggregate time spent to install everything is 22.2 hours. Before I ask my dealer for a labor quote, I'm curious if others know (or can make reasonably educated estimate) how long it would take to do the work. I imagine some of the steps overlap, so there should be some efficiencies in doing everything at once rather than separately, thus saving time. If true, it would be nice to know how much time savings I could reasonably argue for.

Thanks for any input!
That seems high, I would think that as a package it should be ~8 hours. 4 hours for the coils then 4 hours for the rest.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2016, 09:03 AM   #3
JoeFromPA
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '15 AW M3 6MT Stripper

Quote:
Originally Posted by slave2gravity View Post
  • Anti-roll bars
  • Rear link

Thanks for any input!
That's an enormous estimate and I think is independent for each individual part including "shop time" to do things like pull in the car, put it on a lift, get tools ready, etc.

I agree with the above and would MAYBE conservatively estimate 10 hours without knowing the intricacies of BMW's suspension setup from a disassembly standpoint. A standard swap to coilovers is 4 hours, sway bars are anywhere from 30 minutes each to 1 hour for those requiring more dis-assembly of parts to get access. While doing the coilovers, getting the links/ball joints is easy and let's say 20 more minutes per side.

That's ~7 hours to swap the parts. Add an hour for alignment and you have a solid estimate.
      03-29-2016, 03:02 PM   #4
slave2gravity
Rep
Drives: '13 BMW 335i MSport

That's what I was figuring myself, so thanks for the validation! I'll go ahead and order the parts through the dealer and roll it into the purchase price, but have them installed separately at a reputable independent shop.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2016, 03:06 PM   #5
ctgeorge
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: CIVIC M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by slave2gravity View Post
That's what I was figuring myself, so thanks for the validation! I'll go ahead and order the parts through the dealer and roll it into the purchase price, but have them installed separately at a reputable independent shop.
I was quote 9 hours for the coil over install, plus an alignment
Appreciate 0