R44 Performance
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

04-03-2016, 08:30 AM   #1
CSanto
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BSM/SO M3

JRZ RS2 Touring Vs. KW V3

Both of these kits are within my budget, and used prices seem to be around $2,000.

Does anyone know which I would be better off with for daily driving. Or can someone explain to me the technical differences and I can make a decision on my own.
I'm looking for a lowering option that wont compromise the stock shocks, so springs are out.
It's either V3s or these touring coilovers.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2016, 11:07 AM   #2
Gumby_F80
///M
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSanto View Post
Both of these kits are within my budget, and used prices seem to be around $2,000.

Does anyone know which I would be better off with for daily driving. Or can someone explain to me the technical differences and I can make a decision on my own.
I'm looking for a lowering option that wont compromise the stock shocks, so springs are out.
I would go with the V3s, personally. I've run KWs on every single one of my cars and I love them. JRZ is definitely top of the line but you are getting less as far as adjustments for the price. With the V3s, you can really set them up how you want. The shock also looks a little sturdier in my opinion compared to the JRZ. The tubes and springs are bigger and beefier and on this car, that seems to be what it needs. I've heard several cases of the front suspension pieces of JRZs breaking on these cars and needing to be serviced or replaced several times. I'm going to go KW V3 in the next couple of months. If you want all your questions answered I would call Eric at Supreme. He can answer all your questions, even if you don't wind up buying from him. He's happy to help and sometimes has used sets to sell.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2016, 08:30 PM   #3
x.shell
▆ ✚✚   ▆▆▆▆▆▆
Rep
Drives: ▋ ▉▉

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby_F80 View Post
I would go with the V3s, personally. I've run KWs on every single one of my cars and I love them. JRZ is definitely top of the line but you are getting less as far as adjustments for the price. With the V3s, you can really set them up how you want. The shock also looks a little sturdier in my opinion compared to the JRZ. The tubes and springs are bigger and beefier and on this car, that seems to be what it needs. I've heard several cases of the front suspension pieces of JRZs breaking on these cars and needing to be serviced or replaced several times. I'm going to go KW V3 in the next couple of months. If you want all your questions answered I would call Eric at Supreme. He can answer all your questions, even if you don't wind up buying from him. He's happy to help and sometimes has used sets to sell.
Is there a magical adjustment on the KW V3 that isn't available on the JRZ RS2? Both the JRZ RS2 and KW V3 have the same adjustments: spring perch height adjustment, compression, rebound.

I've never heard of anyone with JRZ RS2 Touring on their F80/F82 that broke. If this is true, I'd genuinely like to know about it so please share more info on it.

As far as tubes being bigger/beefier? Although the dimensions of the KW v3 and JRZ RS2 look very similar (without breaking out a digital caliper), I'm not sure why bigger/beefier equates to quality. If it's about the thickness in spring coils, it has more to do with spring rate and metallurgy as opposed to which one is better. If the end goal of a spring's rate is X, and you can acheive it with less coils and less metal, then that's better. Again, I'm not saying one spring is better than the other, I'm just wondering what the reasoning behind bigger/beefier means. I've had both KW and JRZ on the F-chassis; both are built very well.

OP, if you want to know about JRZ RS2 Touring in particular, message kitw ; he had them installed on his M4 before he sold it. From what I recall, the buyer of the M4 wanted the JRZs included with the car because he loved them so much.

I have my preferences when it comes to suspension companies, but both the KW V3 and JRZ RS2 are at the top of their respective lines. Get advice from people who have experience with these coilovers on this specific chassis.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2016, 11:09 AM   #4
JNoSol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 750 MSPORT & E90M3

Bilstein PSS10 would be another solid option. If you track, add GC Camber Plates upfront. If you track more than 4 weekend per year, then TCKR 2-way would be my choice (rebuild-able shocks and customizable springs). If you have more cash, Bilstein Clubsport is even better.
      04-04-2016, 11:56 AM   #5
Gumby_F80
///M
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by exo-shell View Post
Is there a magical adjustment on the KW V3 that isn't available on the JRZ RS2? Both the JRZ RS2 and KW V3 have the same adjustments: spring perch height adjustment, compression, rebound.

I've never heard of anyone with JRZ RS2 Touring on their F80/F82 that broke. If this is true, I'd genuinely like to know about it so please share more info on it.

As far as tubes being bigger/beefier? Although the dimensions of the KW v3 and JRZ RS2 look very similar (without breaking out a digital caliper), I'm not sure why bigger/beefier equates to quality. If it's about the thickness in spring coils, it has more to do with spring rate and metallurgy as opposed to which one is better. If the end goal of a spring's rate is X, and you can acheive it with less coils and less metal, then that's better. Again, I'm not saying one spring is better than the other, I'm just wondering what the reasoning behind bigger/beefier means. I've had both KW and JRZ on the F-chassis; both are built very well.

OP, if you want to know about JRZ RS2 Touring in particular, message kitw ; he had them installed on his M4 before he sold it. From what I recall, the buyer of the M4 wanted the JRZs included with the car because he loved them so much.

I have my preferences when it comes to suspension companies, but both the KW V3 and JRZ RS2 are at the top of their respective lines. Get advice from people who have experience with these coilovers on this specific chassis.
The point I was trying to get across, and did so rather poorly (my fault), is that the JRZ RStwo Touring are going to cost a little more for the same level of quality and adjustability. Having seen them side by side, the KW just looks bigger and beefier. It was only an observation I was had made and was being shown at the time. The JRZ is fantastic quality and I doubt it has anything really to do with the capabilities of the components. JRZ is top of the line... It was merely an observation about their construction.

And yes, while I was at a well known shop recently they showed me two different JRZ set ups that had come off of customer cars to be sent back to JRZ to be fixed/ looked at because of issues. I was asking about them because I too had wanted to put JRZ on my F80. Ive had both JRZ and KW in the past on a selection of cars. I decided that I can get the same bang for buck by going KW v3 instead of spending a little extra on RS2s based off of my needs and was trying to pass that experience and opinion on to the OP.

In the end, do whatever set up you like. They are equivalent in my book and JRZ is a great company to work with. Can't go wrong.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2016, 02:11 PM   #6
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSanto View Post

RS2 would be my choice. It's much higher quality damper set. It excels in both ride quality and performance over the V3. Make sure there is no noise or leak issues before you buy them.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2016, 01:54 PM   #7
x.shell
▆ ✚✚   ▆▆▆▆▆▆
Rep
Drives: ▋ ▉▉

Quote:

Actually OP, now that I remember kitw's thread, you were in it too. He actually had an F80 with KW V3. Ended up disliking it and then bought an F82 and got the JRZs. Here's his quote from the thread.

Quote:
Anyhow, after some time with the KW v3s, (and thanks CSanto for reminding me to update this thread) I decided that despite getting rid of the bounciness, I was not happy with the street ride of the KW v3. They do not absorb bumps as well and have a very busy ride, even after adjusting many times.

I gave up, sold the car, bought an e92 and then sold that and bought an F82, and got JRZ RStwo Touring which I'm thrilled with now. (I'd recommend skipping the middle steps, from KW->JRZ and just getting the JRZs)
Post #36
http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...8&postcount=36

Original thread
http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1062872

I think kitw might be one of the few people who's had both the KW V3 and JRZ RS2 Touring on this chassis.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2016, 10:38 AM   #8
CSanto
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BSM/SO M3

Quote:
Actually OP, now that I remember kitw's thread, you were in it too. He actually had an F80 with KW V3. Ended up disliking it and then bought an F82 and got the JRZs. Here's his quote from the thread.

Post #36
http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...8&postcount=36

Original thread
http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1062872

I think kitw might be one of the few people who's had both the KW V3 and JRZ RS2 Touring on this chassis.
I forgot I asked that question! Thanks! I'm going to go for the JRZs
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2016, 12:34 PM   #9
info@trinityautosport
United_States
Rep
Drives: F13 M6

We second on the JRZ RS2. It is what we're currently running on our shop E92 M3 and GT PP Mustang as well as our personal daily driven cars.
Appreciate 0