BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

06-21-2016, 09:05 AM   #1
Sales@RKautowerks
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e92 m3

Installed my new RK Autowerks intakes!

Installed the first set of production intakes on my m5 this weekend. Had a chance to dyno as well, made 550whp with downpipes and charcoal delete, made about ~580 with the intakes, no tune or any other modifications.

[u2b]https://youtu.be/Itznre45rAA[/u2b]

For those interested, the company is running an introductory special at $1800, MSRP of $2250. You can reach the guys at support@rkautowerks.com

Thanks
-R
Appreciate 1
      06-21-2016, 09:49 AM   #2
TrevorM3
Banned
Rep
Drives: 6.3 AMG

woah.. couple of things.

first, i didn't know such big gains could be had from intakes??

second, what color is that? MR or IR?? i have regrets not doing a red on my m5.. i'm jelly right now.

more pics of the ride please. i love it
Appreciate 1
LibinLu13.00
      06-21-2016, 09:58 AM   #3
Sales@RKautowerks
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevorM3 View Post
woah.. couple of things.

first, i didn't know such big gains could be had from intakes??

second, what color is that? MR or IR?? i have regrets not doing a red on my m5.. i'm jelly right now.

more pics of the ride please. i love it
If you do it right you can get some good gains, the torque reading was acting up because the 2015 don't like to go into dyno mode sometimes, didn't effect the peak HP reading, but low end torque reading was wayyy too high. We had to run the dyno in AWD mode. We're going to run an absolute bone stock car this weekend which we've used before.

Imola red

I'll try to get you more pics.

Thanks
-R
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2016, 10:08 AM   #4
TrevorM3
Banned
Rep
Drives: 6.3 AMG

Quote:
Originally Posted by DallasM5 View Post
If you do it right you can get some good gains, the torque reading was acting up because the 2015 don't like to go into dyno mode sometimes, didn't effect the peak HP reading, but low end torque reading was wayyy too high. We had to run the dyno in AWD mode. We're going to run an absolute bone stock car this weekend which we've used before.

Imola red

I'll try to get you more pics.

Thanks
-R

ok cool!
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2016, 11:55 AM   #5
///M3THOD
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991.2 GTS

As with the MSR intake, do you have any concerns of pulling water up the intake tube into the turbo?

I get that its highly unlikely to get any large quantity, but between the effects of the intake vacuum and capillary action, it seems like you could possibly pull some small droplets into the compressors blades spinning at +100k rpm.

|| Vorsteiner FF-103 || BMS JB4 || Meisterschaft GTC || RPI || IND || Challenge ||
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2016, 12:57 PM   #6
apexlocator
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5

I think everyone knows that an intake with direct air flow filters in the front will yield the best gains. I too have concerns of water and also the frequency of having to clean the filters. Plus, having to let the car wash guy know ahead of time.

Someone in the Pacific NW needs to try these out and let us know....
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2016, 01:04 PM   #7
KMORGSM5
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 14 CP M5

30whp on a car without a tune is impressive. I assume it is running high flow catted dp's? or is it running non catted DP's with JB4+BCM set to map 0?
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2016, 01:22 PM   #8
Sales@RKautowerks
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M3THOD View Post
As with the MSR intake, do you have any concerns of pulling water up the intake tube into the turbo?

I get that its highly unlikely to get any large quantity, but between the effects of the intake vacuum and capillary action, it seems like you could possibly pull some small droplets into the compressors blades spinning at +100k rpm.
We have the water resistant shields with these that can be used, i also have baffles i'm working on for those that would like to opt that route.

Quote:
Originally Posted by apexlocator View Post
I think everyone knows that an intake with direct air flow filters in the front will yield the best gains. I too have concerns of water and also the frequency of having to clean the filters. Plus, having to let the car wash guy know ahead of time.

Someone in the Pacific NW needs to try these out and let us know....
Cleaning the filters shouldn't be any more than with regular filters, it's also pretty quick to remove filters with these. Installation took me about an hour to R&R.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMORGSM5 View Post
30whp on a car without a tune is impressive. I assume it is running high flow catted dp's? or is it running non catted DP's with JB4+BCM set to map 0?
30WHP delta was between the baseline run which had catless downpipes and charcoal air filter delete, no tune. The 30whp pull had no tune or changes other than the intakes.

Honestly it seemed a bit excessive to me, the dyno was having difficulty below 4000rpm because the vehicle did not want to go into dyno mode. We put the dyno in AWD mode and ran the car. The low RPM caused a boost spike because we had to run the car in a lower gear. But both before and after runs were run identically which is what matters. Once the 2013 m5 we have is back from the dealer this week we will have bone stock dyno comparison with only intakes.

Here is the dyno graph, you'll have to ignore peak torque numbers, but the peak power numbers are pretty accurate. the 600whp number was with the car cold soaked.

thanks
-R

Last edited by Sales@RKautowerks; 06-21-2016 at 01:27 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2016, 02:48 PM   #9
Sal@AUTOcouture
Rep
Drives: E93 M3, E36 M3

You guys should become vendors. I think with that pricing you'll do well selling them here. Looks like a very nice product
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2016, 06:28 PM   #10
Sales@RKautowerks
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal@AUTOcouture View Post
You guys should become vendors. I think with that pricing you'll do well selling them here. Looks like a very nice product
I've sent the forum a few emails now requesting to be a vendor, no response yet.

If a mod sees this, can you contact me at raza@rkautowerks.com

Thanks
-R
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2016, 08:17 PM   #11
patb23
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 M5 CP & '62 corvette

Garage List
2014 BMW M5  [10.00]
1962 Corvette  [10.00]
good numbers. cant wait to see what it will do on a stock m5.
Mods: Gloss Black Wheels, 35% 3M Tint, IND Gloss Black (LCI Grilles, Side Markers, Rear Emblem) IND M5 Floor Mats, RKP (McRae Splitters & Rear Diffuser), Passport 9500ci, Suntek PPF-C, M Door Projectors
1962 Corvette Convertible Red/Black (Gone:'11 750Li, '09 Z06, '08 550i)
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2016, 08:36 PM   #12
evilb
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: McLaren MSO 570S, 18 Raptor

I wish the filters were better looking, but the pipes look great in carbon.
      06-23-2016, 08:23 PM   #13
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i Jet Black

~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Follow me on Instagram: lsturbointeg
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2016, 02:47 AM   #14
tec333
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilb View Post
I agree...better looking filters would be nice!
Appreciate 1
      06-24-2016, 08:27 AM   #15
Sales@RKautowerks
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilb View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by tec333 View Post
I agree...better looking filters would be nice!
Went with form over function. You guys are welcome to change them out to whatever you want. But i tested about 10 different filters before picking this set. There will most likely be a water repellent cover ontop so it's not like the filter will be seen, or potentially a baffle.

-R
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2016, 10:08 AM   #16
steeve13m
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F10 M5

Was doing some research on intakes and apparently per tests, intake temps from the filter area isn't as critical on turbo cars vs naturally aspirated cars since the turbos heat up the air drastically. So the money is better spent on other mods. Intakes even feeding hot air from the engine area doesn't make much difference in IATs. Read thread below and will be looking into the BMS intake;

http://www.n54tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23993

http://burgertuning.com/s63tu_BMW_M5...ce_intake.html
2018 Range Rover Velar S-White
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2016, 10:40 AM   #17
edysinger
I Calibrate Engines
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 IB/CL

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeve13m View Post
Was doing some research on intakes and apparently per tests, intake temps from the filter area isn't as critical on turbo cars vs naturally aspirated cars since the turbos heat up the air drastically. So the money is better spent on other mods. Intakes even feeding hot air from the engine area doesn't make much difference in IATs. Read thread below and will be looking into the BMS intake;

http://www.n54tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23993

http://burgertuning.com/s63tu_BMW_M5...ce_intake.html
This is a true on the tests that were done. There is little difference in heat soak with the vehicle. However, the hot air theorists conspiracy would say the real test would be after idling for 8 minutes and performing the run and see timing/boost differences as the engine may impact these until the IATs come down.

A good induction system will cause little drop of pressure between atmosphere and before the turbo/throttle body and be subjected to as minimal heat as possible in all running conditions.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2016, 05:47 AM   #18
ur20v
Captain
Rep

^^^ You haven't read, understood or tested anything to make that comment, I have and so have others. Turbo cars just aren't that sensitive to a small change in IATs at the airbox- the turbos introduce much more heat.

Under bonnet temps don't get as hot as you think and the intercoolers have more than enough capacity and efficiency to make the difference meaningless.

I took loads of data sets under different situations including extended idling after long runs (+40 miles) under high load/speed. IATs drop very quickly i.e move a few feet- and no timing was pulled (I use JB4 to log timing IATS etc) isn't that what you do when you warm your tyres and stage at the drag strip? Who sits there staged for 8+ minutes anyway??... if you sit for 8 minutes and just floor it, the OEM or 'CAI' will 'heat soak' the same as the air inside the the bumper cover becomes heated by the coolant radiatior and oil cooler- the M5 still won't pull timing.

Remember the car is traction limited in the first 3 gears so you can make full power in the first two gears at least much more than any ignition timing pulls (and this would probably help your run!), by the time you have got to second gear any hotair in the intakes or engine bay has been replace multiple times... the engine alone consumes ~1000 cubic feet per minute to make 600hp, thats gobbled up all the air that was in your engine bay, bumper cover and intakes in less than a second.

Now if you were 'racing' a station engine this hot air conspircy migh have some validity where you can heat soak all the air around the engine, but last time I looked we all do mobile racing where the cars move...
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2016, 05:52 AM   #19
ur20v
Captain
Rep

Sorry Razz, this has nothing to do with you intake, you aren't trying to sell your system on the back of a missplace claim but on dyno numbers... credit.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2016, 11:16 AM   #20
Sales@RKautowerks
Lieutenant
Rep

Sending a set to pure turbos to test, will get a non biased comparison.

Stay tuned!

i'll also comment on the IAT when i have a moment.

Thanks
-R
Appreciate 1
      06-28-2016, 07:01 AM   #21
ur20v
Captain
Rep

Great idea Razz, looking forward to your data and Pures dynos.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2016, 02:32 PM   #22
edysinger
I Calibrate Engines
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 IB/CL

Quote:
Originally Posted by ur20v View Post
^^^ You haven't read, understood or tested anything to make that comment, I have and so have others. Turbo cars just aren't that sensitive to a small change in IATs at the airbox- the turbos introduce much more heat.
Yea, yea. You guys reverse-engineering things out of your garages are far more experienced than guys like me who work for the OEMs that design this stuff, calibrate the systems, and have first hand knowledge how the software works.

If you don't think we're pulling a few degrees of timing or limiting some boost when the IAT temps get higher than 30C because of the worry of detonation or, even worse, SPI (Stoichastic Pre-Ignition) with a boosted engine, I'll just put that pacifier back in your mouth.
Appreciate 0