BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-30-2016, 06:58 AM   #1
Jrfly9
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 128i Msport

Beeping/Buzzing from Rear Light

Hi Everyone,

So I recently just picked up a 2011 128i from 128GP

This morning when I went out to the car I opened the door and heard a loud buzzing from the rear light (not the light itself but the speaker system?). In addition, the dash and other lights were on. The buzzing was loud enough to hear outside of the car. I put the key in, turned the car on, and the buzzing still continued. Turning the radio on and off did nothing either.

So I turned the car off, took the key out, stepped outside, shut the door and locked the car. Suddenly the buzzing finally halted.

Has anyone experienced this before? A quick search yielded no usable results. I have one month left under warranty so I want to make sure I get everything ironed out before then.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2016, 12:41 AM   #2
Light_Em_Up
Canada
Rep
Drives: 128is

Oh yes, I can relate. A year or two after taking delivery of my 2009 6sp 128 sport, I parked it for about 5 minutes with the windows down & doors unlocked. I can't remember exactly when it happened, but at some point between opening the door, sitting in the seat and closing the door an almost deafening tone started. It seemed to be coming from everywhere, but in the end I traced the source to the rear speakers. No matter what I tried, short of disconnecting the battery, it would not stop it. After a few minutes it suddenly stopped on its own, and never occurred again.
I asked the dealer about it and he said that he had heard of some pretty weird software based behaviour but never that one.
      07-27-2016, 04:55 AM   #3
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Some 1er in the US had this problem when new. I believe having your car's SW updated will fix this. There is a service bulletin on this from BMW. Its like a humming or static sound that comes from the rear speakers only when you just unlock the car.
Appreciate 0