BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wheels + Tires Sponsored by The Tire Rack
  TireRack

KEEP M3POST ALIVE BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER LINK!

07-05-2016, 11:53 AM   #1
skl007
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 M3

Help with 360 Forged

I'm not sure if I'm supposed to post this here or in Vendor Feedback, so I posted in both spots. Hopefully the mods can sort me out.

I know there is not a whole lot of cohesive information out there on aftermarket wheel vendors, so I decided to share my story about replacing a peeling chrome lip on one of my wheels from 360 Forged.

Over the winter a piece of gravel must have impacted the lip while I was driving, causing a small bubble to form. I guess over time with the introduction of oxygen between the chrome and the binding layer underneath it started to peel. I sent out an email to 360 Forged (acquired by American Force Wheels) asking if they sell replacement outer barrels in mid-February.

Over the course of 31 emails between February 22nd and May 3rd we go over the necessary details about the replacement lip, such as the code on the wheel, sizing, etc. However, during this process I had to continually ask for updates from 360 Forged, and at one point they had to ask me what the initial issue was (guess they had forgotten me…)

Anyways, on May 3rd I finally receive the invoice for my wheels. I proceed to wait until the week of June 13th (I think it was Friday the 15th but am not quite sure) before the replacement lip arrives. I take it to the wheel shop the following Monday (I did not personally open the box and inspect the lip, this is my fatal error) and take delivery of my reassembled wheel on the 23rd. This is what the lip looks like compared to an original lip (both from 360 Forged).

As you can see the new lip is not close to being flat, and in my opinion is unacceptable build quality. I send 360 Forged an email stating what is happening and get the following response:
“The rim channel manufacturers change their specs over the years. There's no way for us to know exactly what part was initially used as that was never recorded, and even if it was as I said before the manufacturer likely slightly changed the part by now.”

This is a bogus excuse if you ask me, since a non-level outer lip is not something that should change over time.

I get offered a refund if I send back the defective outer lip. At this point I’ve spent $200 in labor at the wheel shop and would have to spend another $200 to have the bad lip taken off and my old lip (not sure if it’s even usable after being unmounted) put back on. So basically he offers to replace the faulty part leaving me $400 in the hole at either the same or worse situation than I was in back in February.

I would personally like a replacement lip sent to me so I can inspect it, have it mounted, and see if everything works before sending back the bad part. This way I can at least have a working wheel and some physical asset by the end of this process. 360 Forged would like me to send the whole wheel to Miami so they can do the work themselves, but after this extremely long timeline I’m very hesitant to do that.

What do you guys think?
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2016, 07:53 PM   #2
05Mdriver
Colonel
Rep
Drives: TT Flat Six

Garage List
2007 Porsche Turbo  [10.00]
2008 BMW M3  [10.00]
2005 BMW M3  [10.00]
Is the lip edge difference noticeable when you are looking at the wheel.. or only when you are literally on top of the wheel holding a ruler to it ?
      07-06-2016, 10:01 AM   #3
Get lit
HMFIC
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80 M3

Garage List
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by skl007 View Post
I'm not sure if I'm supposed to post this here or in Vendor Feedback, so I posted in both spots. Hopefully the mods can sort me out.

I know there is not a whole lot of cohesive information out there on aftermarket wheel vendors, so I decided to share my story about replacing a peeling chrome lip on one of my wheels from 360 Forged.

Over the winter a piece of gravel must have impacted the lip while I was driving, causing a small bubble to form. I guess over time with the introduction of oxygen between the chrome and the binding layer underneath it started to peel. I sent out an email to 360 Forged (acquired by American Force Wheels) asking if they sell replacement outer barrels in mid-February.

Over the course of 31 emails between February 22nd and May 3rd we go over the necessary details about the replacement lip, such as the code on the wheel, sizing, etc. However, during this process I had to continually ask for updates from 360 Forged, and at one point they had to ask me what the initial issue was (guess they had forgotten me…)

Anyways, on May 3rd I finally receive the invoice for my wheels. I proceed to wait until the week of June 13th (I think it was Friday the 15th but am not quite sure) before the replacement lip arrives. I take it to the wheel shop the following Monday (I did not personally open the box and inspect the lip, this is my fatal error) and take delivery of my reassembled wheel on the 23rd. This is what the lip looks like compared to an original lip (both from 360 Forged).

As you can see the new lip is not close to being flat, and in my opinion is unacceptable build quality. I send 360 Forged an email stating what is happening and get the following response:
“The rim channel manufacturers change their specs over the years. There's no way for us to know exactly what part was initially used as that was never recorded, and even if it was as I said before the manufacturer likely slightly changed the part by now.”

This is a bogus excuse if you ask me, since a non-level outer lip is not something that should change over time.

I get offered a refund if I send back the defective outer lip. At this point I’ve spent $200 in labor at the wheel shop and would have to spend another $200 to have the bad lip taken off and my old lip (not sure if it’s even usable after being unmounted) put back on. So basically he offers to replace the faulty part leaving me $400 in the hole at either the same or worse situation than I was in back in February.

I would personally like a replacement lip sent to me so I can inspect it, have it mounted, and see if everything works before sending back the bad part. This way I can at least have a working wheel and some physical asset by the end of this process. 360 Forged would like me to send the whole wheel to Miami so they can do the work themselves, but after this extremely long timeline I’m very hesitant to do that.

What do you guys think?
Damn... Op, sorry to hear your situation! I've been waiting on 2 new lips for my rear wheels for at least 6 weeks. I was told it would take only 2 weeks to get the new outer lips to me!
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2016, 10:23 AM   #4
dparm
Stop the hate, get a V8
United_States
Rep
Drives: C7 Corvette GS, AMG C63 S

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05Mdriver View Post
Is the lip edge difference noticeable when you are looking at the wheel.. or only when you are literally on top of the wheel holding a ruler to it ?

This. I guess it depends on how anal/picky you are.
      07-06-2016, 11:56 AM   #5
skl007
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05Mdriver View Post
Definitely noticeable as the reflections of the spokes aren't clean.

Last edited by skl007; 07-06-2016 at 12:29 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2016, 11:12 AM   #6
Get lit
HMFIC
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80 M3

Garage List
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
Got my new lips in today finally! OP....mine are just like yours. Rounded/tapered and not flat like my old ones. Guess I'll be ordering new lips for my front wheels so they all match. Pisses me off they changed them but it is what it is!
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2016, 11:22 AM   #7
skl007
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Get lit View Post
Got my new lips in today finally! OP....mine are just like yours. Rounded/tapered and not flat like my old ones. Guess I'll be ordering new lips for my front wheels so they all match. Pisses me off they changed them but it is what it is!
Appreciate 0