BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > Regional Forums > USA - Great Lakes

07-06-2016, 08:26 PM   #1
dparm
Stop the hate, get a V8
United_States
Rep
Drives: C7 Corvette GS, AMG C63 S

Question Anyone ever attend the Concours d'Elegance of America?

Has anyone here ever gone to the Concours d'Elegegance of America? It's outside of Detroit in the suburb of Plymouth:

http://www.concoursusa.org/

I wanted to go last year but got busy with work. I am planning to go this year but was curious if anyone has ever gone and what they thought of it. It's about a 4-5 hour drive for me, so gas, hotels, food, etc. Trying to decide if it's worth it or not.
      07-10-2016, 07:15 PM   #2
Neuner
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90-S65, F31-B46

It's no Pebble Beach but fun regardless. Try to stay at the Inn or near by if you can. There's a gathering there Friday night, used to be German themed but looks open to all this year. Saturday will have the Concours d'Lemons for GRM style laughs & Italian happening. The parking lot will be full of interesting hardware all weekend long.

Look to spend Saturday night in either Plymouth or Northville, both have a quaint small town feel - Plymouth will have a concert & Northville usually closes off downtown & invites various cars for display.

The Concours participants stage their trailers @ the local high school Sunday morning, fun to head down there & watch as they drive the ~2mi to the Inn. Gives you a chance to see & hear the cars moving under their own power.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2016, 08:52 PM   #3
dparm
Stop the hate, get a V8
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuner View Post
It's no Pebble Beach but fun regardless. Try to stay at the Inn or near by if you can. There's a gathering there Friday night, used to be German themed but looks open to all this year. Saturday will have the Concours d'Lemons for GRM style laughs & Italian happening. The parking lot will be full of interesting hardware all weekend long.

Look to spend Saturday night in either Plymouth or Northville, both have a quaint small town feel - Plymouth will have a concert & Northville usually closes off downtown & invites various cars for display.

The Concours participants stage their trailers @ the local high school Sunday morning, fun to head down there & watch as they drive the ~2mi to the Inn. Gives you a chance to see & hear the cars moving under their own power.

Thanks. I am staying in Novi, which is the best I could do with my points.

Which day(s) and events are the best to attend other than those? Are the driving tours any good?
      07-10-2016, 10:00 PM   #4
Neuner
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90-S65, F31-B46

From Chicago, get off 94 @ Chelsea & meander your way to Novi via backroads instead of doing the Friday drive - dunno about you but organized drives with lots of 'enthusiasts' you don't know scare me. Many of the roads out there aren't paved so you'll want to plan ahead though. PM me when you have travel plans sorted out & I'll send you some ideas.

The Motor Coach Tour sounds like a bus ride around the city, haven't done it but sounds like it could be fun. Saturday events are mostly done by early afternoon.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2016, 02:40 PM   #5
dparm
Stop the hate, get a V8
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuner View Post
From Chicago, get off 94 @ Chelsea & meander your way to Novi via backroads instead of doing the Friday drive - dunno about you but organized drives with lots of 'enthusiasts' you don't know scare me. Many of the roads out there aren't paved so you'll want to plan ahead though. PM me when you have travel plans sorted out & I'll send you some ideas.

The Motor Coach Tour sounds like a bus ride around the city, haven't done it but sounds like it could be fun. Saturday events are mostly done by early afternoon.

Great info, thanks. Are there any good parties to attend in the evenings? I'm fine with exploring downtown on my own, but figured it would be more fun if they had any gatherings (even if I have to pay for my own booze or buy a ticket).