European Auto Source (EAS)
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics

07-12-2016, 08:43 AM   #1
momoM4
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4 YMB

Garage List
2016 BMW M4  [0.00]
Brand new M4 - Front end of Car Sensor errors?

Not sure how to have better labeled this thread.. Anyways..:

Went to leave work yesterday, turn on car and was greeted with three-four warnings:
1) Front Cameras failure
2) Lane Departure sensor failure
3) Collision Warning sensor failure
4) Pedestrian Avoidance sensor failure

Turned off the car waited a minute and turned back on and same message. A little worried I called to make an appointment with BMW. About 10-15 minutes later while driving.. All sensor errors went away and everything started working fine.

Last three drives since last night have had no issue. But I did notice on the screen what seems to be the cellular/nav signal icon just flashing, not sure if that is something else but I have no errors or warnings on car today.

Not sure what would cause this and if it's a warning of what's to come.. but it was 102 degrees yesterday (Central Florida) and it's strange that it went off by itself.

Anyone experience this or have ideas?

Thanks,
mike
      07-16-2016, 01:59 PM   #2
buddster
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M8 Gran Coupe

Yep. I get the exact same errors about every other time I drive. I took it in for service and they said they "there was no repair instruction". They updated the software as a remedy and now... it still happens almost daily. Highly frustrating. Let me know if you or anyone else can shed some light on this one.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2016, 12:45 PM   #3
buddster
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I've heard the same. The problem is that it's hot every day in LA. In practical terms, this means the sensors fail daily. If it takes this little heat to cause a malfunction they've got a bad system. Needs a higher a heat tolerance than being parked in the sun for a few hours.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2016, 06:22 PM   #4
aboulfad
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4 MG/SO

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by buddster
I've heard the same. The problem is that it's hot every day in LA. In practical terms, this means the sensors fail daily. If it takes this little heat to cause a malfunction they've got a bad system. Needs a higher a heat tolerance than being parked in the sun for a few hours.
The car is designed for extreme temperatures and the real life testing they put them through is impressive. There was a video on the testing that BMW does.

Thus said, sensors can intermittently fail... If any of you have rheingold check what faults are registered as many dealers skip over them and don't do much with it.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2016, 08:39 PM   #5
momoM4
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4 YMB

Garage List
2016 BMW M4  [0.00]
UPDATE:

I dropped off the car this morning as they wanted it all day and overnight to do software upgrade... SA mentioned that usually fixes this problem.

SA called this afternoon and explained that there was a high temp reading in memory and it's known to be caused by direct sunlight/high temps and happens when parked in direct sunlight for extended periods of time.

This aligns with the day it happened. I parked in a spot that the front of the car was in direct sunlight all day. I never park in that spot or direction and that was the only time it has done this.

SA ended up keeping car over night to program anyways as I also have a strange bluetooth problem (or iphone connected problem) where the phone interface pops up randomly and it acts like its in a call (although it is not..) and I can't hang up or get it to release the bluetooth connection without turning off BT on my iPhone 6s.

mike
      07-21-2016, 01:35 AM   #6
buddster
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

It doesn't matter what they designed the car for - it only matters how it performs on a day-to-day basis. If the sensors have failed, that's not a big deal either, but only as long as they acknowledge it, take responsibility and fix it. Not the case so far. It's possible that if I continue to push hard enough and yell loud enough they'll step up and handle it.

Sadly, parking your car in the sun for a few hours is a daily occurrence in a city like LA. It's totally normal behavior. Most don't have the luxury of covered parking every where they go. BMW needs to either 1. Create a system that can withstand being parked in the sun or 2. Be willing to warranty it and accept responsibility if it can't.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2016, 02:18 AM   #7
Alvinized52
@ste4lthedF82
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4 SSII

Garage List
2016 BMW M4  [10.00]
Ive had the same issue many times. Live in L.A. and this happens during heatwaves and when car faces the sun directly. The issue is with the sensor camera that is behind the rear view mirror. Extreme heat and direct sunlight causes errors. I get frontal collision and pedestrian errors all the time after the car is parked in hot bright weathers. I believe this is a known issue. But resets back to normal each time.

Fyi... I brought mine to SA and even got a replacement rear view mirror camera. Stil the same. Good news is it goes back to normal.
Appreciate 0