BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-17-2016, 01:32 PM   #1
ramialam95
Rep
Drives: e82 135i

Help!! Misfire cylinder 6

hello guys, so i bought a used cobb ap v3 a couple of days ago and used stage 2 agressive map. i drove it for 2 hours and it was totally fine. Today i decided to log the car so i drove it gently wth some acceleration here and there and suddenly the car started shaking and lost power. i read the codes and it said misfire cyl. 6 so i change back to stock map and turned off the car for 10 min. Turned it back on and problem is still there. Please if someone can identify the problem for me using the data log I would be greatly appreciated.

http://www.datazap.me/u/ramialam95/m...data=1-8-11-14

Last edited by ramialam95; 08-17-2016 at 01:46 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2016, 01:50 PM   #2
chadillac2000
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramialam95 View Post
hello guys, so i bought a used cobb ap v3 a couple of days ago and used stage 2 agressive map. i drove it for 2 hours and it was totally fine. Today i decided to log the car so i drove it gently wth some acceleration here and there and suddenly the car started shaking and lost power. i read the codes and it said misfire cyl. 6 so i change back to stock map and turned off the car for 10 min. Turned it back on and problem is still there. Please if someone can identify the problem for me using the data log I would be greatly appreciated.

This is a very common issue when driving a tuned car. More than likely it's either spark plugs, coils, or injectors. Spark plugs are the most common, and if they haven't been replaced recently, probably started to show their weakness once you switched to the more aggressive map. If the plugs haven't been changed in a while, I'd go ahead and throw 6 new ones in there. If that doesn't solve the issue, then it's probably a bad coil. Swap the coil from cylinder 6 to another cylinder and see if the code follows the coil. If it follows, the coil, replace the coil. If it doesn't, then it's more than likely an injector issue if that's the only code you're getting. I had the same code recently after adding a back end flash, and new plugs and coils did not solve the problem. I ended up having to replace the injector in cylinder 6.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1284736
Appreciate 1
      08-17-2016, 03:35 PM   #3
ramialam95
Rep
Drives: e82 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadillac2000 View Post
This is a very common issue when driving a tuned car. More than likely it's either spark plugs, coils, or injectors. Spark plugs are the most common, and if they haven't been replaced recently, probably started to show their weakness once you switched to the more aggressive map. If the plugs haven't been changed in a while, I'd go ahead and throw 6 new ones in there. If that doesn't solve the issue, then it's probably a bad coil. Swap the coil from cylinder 6 to another cylinder and see if the code follows the coil. If it follows, the coil, replace the coil. If it doesn't, then it's more than likely an injector issue if that's the only code you're getting. I had the same code recently after adding a back end flash, and new plugs and coils did not solve the problem. I ended up having to replace the injector in cylinder 6.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1284736
Ill try to replace spark plugs to see if the problem is solved. If not ill do the coil test. Hope i dont get to the fuel injectors. Thanks for the help man .
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2016, 08:12 PM   #4
all4bspinnin
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 135i LeMans Blue/Terracota

Quote:
Ill try to replace spark plugs to see if the problem is solved. If not ill do the coil test. Hope i dont get to the fuel injectors. Thanks for the help man .
If you still have the same problem after your spark plug swap, and you havent had a walnut blast/carbon cleaning i HIGHLY recommend that route.

I had cylinder 5 and 6 misfires when i first purchased my car. I did plugs, it was still there, did a carbon cleaning and lived happily ever after
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2016, 09:56 AM   #5
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

Quote:

If your spark plugs have more then 25,000 miles on them, you should replace them first.

Spark plugs are the first thing to change on this vehicle before tuning.

As the spark plugs age, the gap increases. On stock boost this usually isn't a problem but when you double the boost that is when the timing of the spark needs to be just right.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2016, 11:46 AM   #6
fredy
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 135i

great video !!
Appreciate 0