BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

BPM

09-17-2016, 08:51 PM   #1
gulewamkulu
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011.75 Jerez Black E93 M3

2011 E93 M3 wobble noise while cruising

Please help identify the noise in the video below. Noise is "wobble-wobble" in nature, what could this be? One of my rear tires has a plug that was put in before I purchased the car, would this explain the noise? If not please advise on what it could be. Noise starts at about 15 mph and progressively gets louder as speed increases. I did a wheel bearing check by jacking the car up and attempting to tilt the wheels in and out in which they seem tight with no obvious play and all wheels were properly torqued to spec. I recently had a tire shop check the wheel balance in hopes to mitigate said issue without success.Car currently has 45,000 miles on it.

Appreciate 0
      09-17-2016, 08:59 PM   #2
WingZeroX5
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 / F30

If you sway side to side, does the noise vary?

Sounds like a wheel bearing, mine did that with the pass rear side, loud as hell at highway speeds. Bad bearings does not necessarily have any play
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2016, 09:07 PM   #3
gulewamkulu
Private
United_States
Rep

Yes it does. Thanks for the insight, I will have these checked out.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2016, 05:44 AM   #4
Pig Farmer
Major
Rep
Drives: E92M

Another possible culprit is the drive shaft's center support bearing. I had the subframe dropped on my previous BMW and the mechanic didn't get the center support bearing aligned properly when reinstalling the drive shaft. The sound was heard/felt from under the center of the car (obviously), and had the same cadence and tone as the video.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2016, 08:53 PM   #5
gulewamkulu
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pig Farmer View Post
Another possible culprit is the drive shaft's center support bearing. I had the subframe dropped on my previous BMW and the mechanic didn't get the center support bearing aligned properly when reinstalling the drive shaft. The sound was heard/felt from under the center of the car (obviously), and had the same cadence and tone as the video.
Thank you very much for the response, I will look into this as swell.
Appreciate 0