BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 Marketplace > Private Sellers - For Sale / Trade / Wanted > Cars for sale/wanted/trade

European Auto Source (EAS)

10-02-2016, 06:51 PM   #1
bsb
In Reno we don't dial 911 :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3

Feeler: 2008 E90 6MT Jrz Blk, 92k mi

BIMMERPOST / Classifieds
Asking Price:
USD 15,000.00

Item Interest
I am not sure if actually I want to sell. But I want to share my sad story about Sabrina:

I am Sabrina's 2nd owner. I bought her in 2010 with 4k miles. She has ALL or the the extras (yes, even nav and parking sensors) such as the sport, premium, and cold weather packages. After I bought her my mechanic did the following mods:
Dinan stage 1,2,and 3 suspension
Dinah diff
Dinan cat back ext
ESS sw tune
HRE Custom 19lbs 18 inch monoblock forged wheels
Brembo BBK front and back with brand new rotors/pads
Brand new 18" summer 265 front / 295 rear tires
Stealth black grilles, door lock covers, side grills, etc
ESS 575 Water-cooled supercharger
Angel Eyes
Excellent body and interior condition with less than normal wear
Everything working fine with normal maintenance

It was a true love affair. I tracked her in the novice category six times and drove her joyously with my real gf throughout California and Nevada for 88k miles. About a month ago I heard the infamous ticking sound, but I didn't recognize she was having a heart attack until it was too late. My mechanic told me she "spun a rod". I didn't even know what that was. Boy I wish I was reading these forums!!

Prognosis: Sabrina awaits her brand new engine to be ordered. I estimate that will cost me about 26k installed. I estimate she is worth 15k as is and 35k with the brand new engine and perhaps a new clutch.

As you can tell from my lack of posts, I am not an expert in the M3, or in cars in general, but I would love to hear your thoughts about what the car is worth, and at what price you or someone else would like to buy Sabrina, either "as is" or with her new engine. I love driving her, but I am not sure if I will continue to feel that way for another 10 years after rebuilding her. Plus, I recently bought "Betty", a sleek 128i. I might prefer to take my lumps, sell Sabrina as is, and then just be content with Betty, she's only a size 0! Or else I would like to buy a 1M or an M2. I live in downtown Sacramento now, and I prefer the light weight and torque of the 1 series in city traffic.

Disclosure: If you offer me 15k for Sabrina, I'm not saying I would absolutely take it. Breaking up with a woman as fine as her is hard to do! But I'd be happy to hear your thoughts.

Your thoughts?

Last edited by bsb; 10-02-2016 at 08:41 PM.. Reason: Changed to "Feeler"
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2016, 11:03 PM   #2
Original
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

Poor Sabrina :/
Appreciate 1
      10-03-2016, 09:12 AM   #3
Jonzny
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

I think you can part out the brakes, HRE's, and supercharger. The car will still be worth roughly $13-15k IMO
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2016, 10:27 AM   #4
bsb
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonzny View Post
I think you can part out the brakes, HRE's, and supercharger. The car will still be worth roughly $13-15k IMO
Thanks very much for your comment. I will talk about this more with my mechanic.
      10-03-2016, 09:56 PM   #5
PerfM5
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 M5 Space, E92 M3 Techno

I went through a similar situation but thankfully I had warranty! TBH, 15K for a car with a blown motor that requires a new engine @ roughly 30K installed is a stretch. Depending on what else needs to be replaced, especially since its a 08 with almost 90K miles (T/A, ICV... )

My Honest advise would be to find a used motor and replace it. Part it out and enjoy the profits there. Then take it in stock form to a used car dealer and trade it in. I'd let the wholesale market deal with it.

I highly doubt anyone in their right mind will pay $45K for a modded 08 M3. regardless of condition. JMO
      10-03-2016, 10:47 PM   #6
loveskiing
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 E90

You've been given better advice than I could give you...sad to hear about your tale of woe but check with as many sources as possible, then weigh all your options...one path usually becomes more attractive as you move thru this process. Whatever you choose it will be the right choice...just don't look back or ever second guess yourself. Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2016, 05:45 PM   #7
whyzee125
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Dinan stage 2 335i

Dang man, I'm really sorry to hear about Sabrina :/ She sounds like a babe. If you love the car and want to keep it, have you looked into having a used engine installed at a good indy, and having the rod bearings done? I'd suspect you could get it all done for roughly 12k out the door, which still is a lot, but is certainly better than 26k and should be rock solid when done.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2016, 11:54 AM   #8
chief
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 Melbourne Red M3 Coupe

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [9.51]
I replaced my motor

I had this same decision this summer. I had an injector fail open causing the motor to hydrolock. Very rare failure, but it was my turn in the spin cycle.

I decided to work with my local dealer who I have had a great relationship with for more than 15 years. This was probably the most expensive route short of reaching out to a custom engine builder to solve this issue.

My total bill was large - $37,000 all in. The new motor was $19k from BMW and I decided to replace as many wear and tear parts as I could, including engine and trans mounts, all 8 injectors, plugs, wires, hoses, flywheel (turns out BMW doesn't sell just the bolts - so we replaced the unit - $1500), (the DCT clutches were still in great shape, so we did not change them), trans gaskets, sensors (eng and trans), and fluids. These additional parts and the labor split the remaining $18k.

I had an extended warranty that covered about $19k and I footed the rest.

The new engine, parts and labor are covered by a factory 2 year warranty.

I have put new brakes (OEM rotors, stoptech pads, high temp fluid) and suspension (KW Clubsport) on the car within the last year. The car runs and drives great - as it should.

Now I have a 2008 e92 that is worth somewhere in the $25 - 30k +/- range. I have significantly more than that in it. So at this point she's a keeper.

I considered making her more track ready, but she is in great shape and should be on the road. So, she remains my daily driver and will see some limited driving events until I can find a good way to support a track car (space, money and time).

Good luck - you have a challenging decision to make.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2016, 06:21 PM   #9
nikkoms84
Registered
Rep
Drives: 11 M3

Sorry to hear about your M! If you've retained the original parts (diff, brakes, suspension, wheels, etc) replaced at 4k miles, and can put the vehicle back to stock, I'd be willing to throw you an offer.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2016, 02:49 PM   #10
bsb
United_States
Rep

Thanks everyone for your very kind comments and many apologies for my much delayed response! I haven't been online here as much as I should have been. I've decided to keep the car and it currently is receiving a brand new engine, clutch, engine mounts, etc. I'll definitely let you know if in the future my situation changes. Good luck in your search!
      10-26-2018, 07:25 PM   #11
bsb
United_States
Rep

Feeler;Sabrina update;2008 e92 m3 6MT, new engine!

2018 Update: Sabrina got a brand new factory S65 Engine installed plus a new clutch, etc. back in 2016 for ~$35k. Otherwise she unchanged. https://www.m3post.com/forums/images.../happyanim.gif Just drove road miles in Sacramento since then. So now she has 105k miles total, of which 17k miles are on the new engine. A guy offered me $20k cash today after he saw it in the parking lot.

https://www.m3post.com/forums/images/smilies/iono.gif

That's far too low, right? Or would someone here like to be so kind as to educate me on about what Sabrina is worth now? Or make an offer? The guy is going to call me back tomorrow to try and buy it.

I am planning on installing a solar roof on my house soon, and so I am thinking of selling Sabrina now and going the Tesla route. I would like to know your opinion what a fair transaction price is if I am to sell.

Thanks so much for your response!

Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsb View Post
I am not sure if actually I want to sell. But I want to share my sad story about Sabrina:

I am Sabrina's 2nd owner. I bought her in 2010 with 4k miles. She has ALL or the the extras (yes, even nav and parking sensors) such as the sport, premium, and cold weather packages. After I bought her my mechanic did the following mods:
Dinan stage 1,2,and 3 suspension
Dinah diff
Dinan cat back ext
ESS sw tune
HRE Custom 19lbs 18 inch monoblock forged wheels
Brembo BBK front and back with brand new rotors/pads
Brand new 18" summer 265 front / 295 rear tires
Stealth black grilles, door lock covers, side grills, etc
ESS 575 Water-cooled supercharger
Angel Eyes
Excellent body and interior condition with less than normal wear
Everything working fine with normal maintenance

It was a true love affair. I tracked her in the novice category six times and drove her joyously with my real gf throughout California and Nevada for 88k miles. About a month ago I heard the infamous ticking sound, but I didn't recognize she was having a heart attack until it was too late. My mechanic told me she "spun a rod". I didn't even know what that was. Boy I wish I was reading these forums!!

Prognosis: Sabrina awaits her brand new engine to be ordered. I estimate that will cost me about 26k installed. I estimate she is worth 15k as is and 35k with the brand new engine and perhaps a new clutch.

As you can tell from my lack of posts, I am not an expert in the M3, or in cars in general, but I would love to hear your thoughts about what the car is worth, and at what price you or someone else would like to buy Sabrina, either "as is" or with her new engine. I love driving her, but I am not sure if I will continue to feel that way for another 10 years after rebuilding her. Plus, I recently bought "Betty", a sleek 128i. I might prefer to take my lumps, sell Sabrina as is, and then just be content with Betty, she's only a size 0! Or else I would like to buy a 1M or an M2. I live in downtown Sacramento now, and I prefer the light weight and torque of the 1 series in city traffic.

Disclosure: If you offer me 15k for Sabrina, I'm not saying I would absolutely take it. Breaking up with a woman as fine as her is hard to do! But I'd be happy to hear your thoughts.

Your thoughts?
      10-27-2018, 10:14 AM   #12
Studntloan
Studntloan
Rep
Drives: M4 GTS / E30 M3

Pm sent sir
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2018, 07:00 PM   #13
Aktavate
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Red

Garage List
2011 E90 M3  [0.00]
2002 911 Turbo  [0.00]
Free bump for a fellow Renoite! Out of curiosity who worked on your car here?
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2018, 06:51 AM   #14
listed5
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 e93 M3 DCT black/bamboo

If this car still has all of those mods and a new motor, it's worth closer to 30 in my opinion. I will offer $20,500 though, if you were legit considering his offer 😂😂
Appreciate 0