European Auto Source (EAS)
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

12-09-2016, 05:23 PM   #1
gramboda
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Murdered X4 M40i

Had my factory tips powder coated

Just wanted to give a shout out to Crown Customs & Coating out of Chicago for the awesome job powder coating my factory exhaust tips.

The price was $160.50 out the door. (I had to pay to ship down to them from WI.)

All communication was handled via FB Messenger except giving my CC# over the phone. Communication was excellent. They were always very quick to return my messages. Turnaround was about a week or so.

I went with the factory tips for a few reasons (as opposed to the BMS tips).
First, I was concerned the diameter of the BMS would be too large for my tastes.
Second, I didn't want the black chrome look. Not because I don't think it looks good, but all other black on my car is gloss black and I wanted the tips to match.
Third, there have been stocking issues with the BMS black tips and I didn't really want to wait.

Appreciate 0
      12-09-2016, 07:12 PM   #2
AIRHEIR
X3M Comp
Rep
Drives: X3M Comp

What did you use to get tips off. I see people selling old tips on here and they are usually mangled. Yours look great.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2016, 09:17 PM   #3
gramboda
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIRHEIR View Post
What did you use to get tips off. I see people selling old tips on here and they are usually mangled. Yours look great.
I used the IND rubber mallet and claw hammer method. It was a bit of a pain. I had to keep messing with them and then all of a sudden the tip would just let loose. Thankfully, I did not mangle them. I wish I could say the same for my grill and I can't wait to try to get at the MAP sensor when I try to install the JB1
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2016, 02:30 PM   #4
Weechard
M3
Rep
Drives: 2013 MW m3

What part of WI are you from? I'm from Madison, had my tips powder coated as well through Apex Custom Coating. They chemical stripped mine, sand blasted it and powder coated it gloss black for ~$95. Turn around time was 3 days.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2016, 02:46 PM   #5
gramboda
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by YasM3 View Post
Looks good. However, you could have just purchased the Competition Package tips directly from BMW for roughly the same price. Then you would have a spare set just in case you didnt like it or sell the chrome set. Either way, they look good.

Here is the thread on the Competition tips

http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1122135
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weechard View Post
What part of WI are you from? I'm from Madison, had my tips powder coated as well through Apex Custom Coating. They chemical stripped mine, sand blasted it and powder coated it gloss black for ~$95. Turn around time was 3 days.
UGH! Figures. They turned out really nice and the customer service was great. Sure, in hindsight, knowing what I know now, I wouldn't mind saving the money, but I still feel pretty good about it.

I'm from Appleton
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2016, 03:04 PM   #6
Weechard
M3
Rep
Drives: 2013 MW m3

From the pictures, they look great. Any pictures of it installed on the vehicle? I think the stock tips with the blacked out muffler looks great.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2016, 03:05 PM   #7
Wah
IG@i.am.wah
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 CS

Garage List
Lol. $10 each at Coast2coast powder coating in NJ.

Appreciate 0