proTUNING Freaks
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

12-24-2016, 02:53 AM   #1
Shoheed
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 F82, Sakhir Orange

BMS OBDII valve controller questions

Hi guys,

About a month ago I pulled the trigger on the MPE with Carbon tips (could not be happier with my choice). I also decided to go for a valve controller solution after strong recommendations from forum members.

I chose the BMS option, and after days sitting at customs it's finally here!

A few quick questions for anyone that has experience with this unit:

- If I unplug the unit will everything just go back to factory mode? I.e. If I left it valves open but then just unplug the device, the next time the car is started will it just revert to factory operation (including deactivating Active Sound etc)?

- I have only messed with the valve commands, but I understand there are other options. How can you even tell which menu you are working in? Isn't it extremely easy to change things accidentally like this due to any lack of display telling you what you are doing?

- I don't have any tune or any modifications on my car. Will BMW be able to tell I have been using such device from their readings and will it cause any warranty issues? (I also have no idea what this clear codes function is for or why it is necessary).

- What are people doing with the cabling? The OBD flap opens and is literally just big enough so I can plug my device in so certainly can't shove the entire thing and wires in that opening.

Apologies in advance for any stupid questions.

Thank you
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2016, 05:41 AM   #2
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoheed View Post
Hi guys,

About a month ago I pulled the trigger on the MPE with Carbon tips (could not be happier with my choice). I also decided to go for a valve controller solution after strong recommendations from forum members.

- If I unplug the unit will everything just go back to factory mode? I.e. If I left it valves open but then just unplug the device, the next time the car is started will it just revert to factory operation (including deactivating Active Sound etc)?

- I have only messed with the valve commands, but I understand there are other options. How can you even tell which menu you are working in? Isn't it extremely easy to change things accidentally like this due to any lack of display telling you what you are doing?

- I don't have any tune or any modifications on my car. Will BMW be able to tell I have been using such device from their readings and will it cause any warranty issues? (I also have no idea what this clear codes function is for or why it is necessary).

- What are people doing with the cabling? The OBD flap opens and is literally just big enough so I can plug my device in so certainly can't shove the entire thing and wires in that opening.

Thank you
When you unplug the unit. Everything reverts to stock.

As for storing/hiding the unit out of site, my car is a DCT. The footwell cover that goes below the dash still has the opening for the clutch pedal even on DCT cars, so I was able to stash the controller behind that cover with wire tidily coming out of the clutch pedal opening. Since you are in London, I assume you have a right hand drive. So I dont know how that solution would work for you, but you could explore another variant of that aporoach.

Previous cars: M4cs 2019 F82 Limerock Grey / M4 2015 F82 Silverstone / M3 2008 E92 Silverstone / M3 2002 E46 Carbon Black
Appreciate 1
      12-24-2016, 08:10 AM   #3
Shoheed
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3 View Post
Quote:
Hi guys,

Thank you
When you unplug the unit. Everything reverts to stock.

As for storing/hiding the unit out of site, my car is a DCT. The footwell cover that goes below the dash still has the opening for the clutch pedal even on DCT cars, so I was able to stash the controller behind that cover with wire tidily coming out of the clutch pedal opening. Since you are in London, I assume you have a right hand drive. So I dont know how that solution would work for you, but you could explore another variant of that aporoach.
Ah, good idea! I also have a DCT but yes the right hand drive might prove an issue. I'll play around and see if I can be creative in where I place it.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2016, 12:19 PM   #4
scott13
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4 | BSM | 6MT

Quote:
Ah, good idea! I also have a DCT but yes the right hand drive might prove an issue. I'll play around and see if I can be creative in where I place it.

Thanks!
I tuck the cable up under the plastic that runs along the door sill. It's pretty much invisible. Takes some gentle pressure on the wire (pushing it against the carpet), but then it just kind of tucks itself up there as you go along the sill.

Pics here if you're interested:

http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...8&postcount=11
Appreciate 1
      12-25-2016, 12:40 PM   #5
Shoheed
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott13 View Post
I tuck the cable up under the plastic that runs along the door sill. It's pretty much invisible. Takes some gentle pressure on the wire (pushing it against the carpet), but then it just kind of tucks itself up there as you go along the sill.

Pics here if you're interested:

http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...8&postcount=11
Thanks that is useful!

There are a few differences though between my OBD port and yours. This product has clearly been designed for left hand drive cars in mind. Mine being a right hand drive, the positioning of my OBD port means the cable from the device comes out at an awkward angle as oppose to a more natural direction towards the pedals like your pic.

I will try and tuck it into the door sill like you have but it certainly won't be as tidy.
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2016, 05:19 PM   #6
AlterZgo
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 23 X3 M40i, 21 911S, 24 Taycan

There is a rectangular hole next to the OBDII port. I fed the wire into that hole and it has stayed there without issue.
Appreciate 1
      12-26-2016, 07:03 AM   #7
Shoheed
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlterZgo View Post
There is a rectangular hole next to the OBDII port. I fed the wire into that hole and it has stayed there without issue.
It always feels warm in there so I assumed this is where the heat is blown out for heating our feet :s. I'll take another look. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2016, 09:22 AM   #8
scott13
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Thanks that is useful!

There are a few differences though between my OBD port and yours. This product has clearly been designed for left hand drive cars in mind. Mine being a right hand drive, the positioning of my OBD port means the cable from the device comes out at an awkward angle as oppose to a more natural direction towards the pedals like your pic.

I will try and tuck it into the door sill like you have but it certainly won't be as tidy.
Whoops. My bad. Didn't appreciate that there was a difference in placement for the OBD port for right hand drives. Hope you get it all worked out. It's (IMO) a great little product.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2016, 08:36 AM   #9
Mike@N54Tuning.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i, 2015 M3

Quote:
Whoops. My bad. Didn't appreciate that there was a difference in placement for the OBD port for right hand drives. Hope you get it all worked out. It's (IMO) a great little product.
Yes RHD have different OBD port location.

Mike
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2016, 02:16 PM   #10
Shoheed
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Thanks that is useful!

Thanks. I have attached some pictures to demonstrate what I am talking about as I'm finding it difficult to explain the issue lol. Please ignore the extremely dirty interior atm.

Note how the wire from the connector comes out upwards making it more difficult to easily hide it away. The solution I found is to buy one of these OBD extension cables which comes out at a better angle for me. I have now been able to hide the actual device away under the seat in a somewhat discreet way.

All sorted now and very happy with how the device works.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-29-2016, 10:03 AM   #11
scott13
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Thanks. I have attached some pictures to demonstrate what I am talking about as I'm finding it difficult to explain the issue lol. Please ignore the extremely dirty interior atm.

Note how the wire from the connector comes out upwards making it more difficult to easily hide it away. The solution I found is to buy one of these OBD extension cables which comes out at a better angle for me. I have now been able to hide the actual device away under the seat in a somewhat discreet way.

All sorted now and very happy with how the device works.
Ah. I get the problem now. Looks like the port is turned 180 degrees (upside-down? backwards?) relative to a left hand drive car?

Gotta love this forum. Learn something new every day.

Glad to hear you have it all sorted out with the extension cable. Happy driving.
Appreciate 0