R44 Performance
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

01-04-2017, 03:20 AM   #1
m4f82kuwait
$ ARAB $
Kuwait
Rep
Drives: M4

replacing nylon hose with stain steel

I entered a garage near by .. they were working on a m5. i was watching them installing the bms methanol kit. i noticed that they were using stain steel hose or something like that instead of nylon hose( really thin). When i asked them why they replied with " its much safer than nylon and it has no leaks. "

give me ur thoughts about this idea
FSociety3812.50
      01-04-2017, 09:09 AM   #2
EALm4
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: SO 16' M4

I see absolutely no reason to run SS lines unless you want to run AN fittings for the bling factor. There is not enough pressure in the line to warrant a SS line and the heat tolerance of the nylon is good enough for our cars. As far as safety, sure SS lines will be more "safe" but if the nylon line is installed correctly and not pushed up against anything that will cause friction/abrasion or a kink in the line it should be more than adequate.

Polytetrafluoroethylene (PTFE) aka Teflon is another low cost alternative to SS or nylon. It offers more flexibility and higher working temperature (287*C).

The only way I can see the nylon line failing is if it's cut, kinked up or the ambient temperature is so low (sub -30*C) that it hardens up and cracks.
Appreciate 1
FSociety3812.50