GetBMWParts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

01-04-2017, 01:22 PM   #1
Cancelled1234
Private
Rep
Drives: 1

DINAN S1 to S2

If I buy a second hand Dinantronics Stage 1, I realize warranty is not transferable. I don't give a s***t. My question is can I still just send it in for S2 upgrade and pay the upgrade difference without having to pay for the VIN upgrade?
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2017, 01:30 PM   #2
Dinan_Engineering
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Any BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbosek View Post
If I buy a second hand Dinantronics Stage 1, I realize warranty is not transferable. I don't give a s***t. My question is can I still just send it in for S2 upgrade and pay the upgrade difference without having to pay for the VIN upgrade?
Yes. You could still go to a dealer and have them upgrade it for the price difference between stages.
Appreciate 1
      01-04-2017, 01:34 PM   #3
Cancelled1234
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinan_Engineering View Post
Quote:
Yes. You could still go to a dealer and have them upgrade it for the price difference between stages.
Thank you. Is there an option to mail it to Dinan? The closest dealer is 2 hours away?

I presume if I take it to a dealer the unit does not have to be removed?
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2017, 01:52 PM   #4
Dinan_Engineering
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Any BMW

Quote:
Thank you. Is there an option to mail it to Dinan? The closest dealer is 2 hours away?

I presume if I take it to a dealer the unit does not have to be removed?
You can send it in if you like. Just contact your area rep (1-800-341-5480 x2109) and they can set you up with the process.

At a dealer the update would be about a 15 minute ordeal (more if there is a firmware update but under an hour tops) and is done via BT with their programming equipment so it wouldn't need to be removed.

Bellingham, WA is a bit of a wierd spot you have sooooo many dealers all around you but none particularly close (Vanvouver, Seattle, Victoria, etc.)
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2017, 02:20 PM   #5
saleen556
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

If you are voiding your warranty anyway why go Dinan? There are cheaper tunes that are capable of more power.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2017, 02:33 PM   #6
schnell1982
Captain
Rep
Drives: FAST

Quote:
Originally Posted by saleen556 View Post
If you are voiding your warranty anyway why go Dinan? There are cheaper tunes that are capable of more power.
You are not voiding your warranty with choosing Dinan
There are BMW dealerships that are part of the Dinan program, therefore you have no warranty concerns at all.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2017, 02:42 PM   #7
M-Pilot
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 981 Cayman GTS

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by schnell1982 View Post
There are BMW dealerships that are part of the Dinan program, therefore you have no warranty concerns at all.
The biggest selling point of Dinan products is the warranty and his Dinan S1 doesn't have a warranty anymore due to the ownership transfer. So there is no point in still using Dinan. Also, those Dinan authorized BMW dealerships do not provide BMW's warranty if something goes wrong due to Dinan. Despite being BMW dealerships, they go through Dinan warranty in those situations. In other words, Dinan authorized BMW dealership has no special privilege over other Dinan dealers.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2017, 03:06 PM   #8
Cancelled1234
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cntzl View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by schnell1982 View Post
The biggest selling point of Dinan products is the warranty and his Dinan S1 doesn't have a warranty anymore due to the ownership transfer. So there is no point in still using Dinan. Also, those Dinan authorized BMW dealerships do not provide BMW's warranty if something goes wrong due to Dinan. Despite being BMW dealerships, they go through Dinan warranty in those situations. In other words, Dinan authorized BMW dealership has no special privilege over other Dinan dealers.
Depends on how cheap you get the used DINAN tune for. I'd rather buy a $1000 second hand DINAN tune than a new JB4. DINAN may not be more powerful but in my opinion it is a more refined and engineered product. Even though I won't get the warranty, it's still a product that was designed to match the BMW warranty. I'm willing to give up some horsepower for simplicity and reliability.
Appreciate 1
      01-04-2017, 03:34 PM   #9
M-Pilot
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 981 Cayman GTS

Garage List
Quote:
Depends on how cheap you get the used DINAN tune for. I'd rather buy a $1000 second hand DINAN tune than a new JB4. DINAN may not be more powerful but in my opinion it is a more refined and engineered product. Even though I won't get the warranty, it's still a product that was designed to match the BMW warranty. I'm willing to give up some horsepower for simplicity and reliability.
It all comes down to personal preference. I have no doubt that Dinan is a solid product but I would never pay thousands of dollars for minimal gains just because it comes with a warranty.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2017, 05:33 PM   #10
schnell1982
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cntzl View Post
Each dealership handles it differently. Personally I have never heard of a dealership giving any client hassle with Dinan products installed in the car regardless of what the issue is. At the end of the day both Dinan and the dealer want to keep a happy client and fix their car.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2017, 05:35 PM   #11
schnell1982
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Exactly, don't buy into the JB4 hype. That is all it is.
Flash tunes are where its at but aside from tampering with the ECU, Dinan is the best option on the market in many ways
Appreciate 0