ARMA SPEED
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

02-26-2017, 08:09 PM   #1
E92Hwo2
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: M3 E92/M4 F82/M5 F10 /X5 F15/

Garage List
2013 F10 M5  [0.00]
2011 E92 M3  [0.00]
Akrapovic or M performance

I'm having hard time deciding these two exhaust I like to have the catback exhaust the M performances sounds better but I like akrapovic quality betteer , performance compared these two I don't see much diffrents any suggestions
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2017, 08:21 PM   #2
Arcades
In The Rain
Rep
Drives: '24 GT4RS, '24 Macan GTS

Garage List
You can no longer officially get Akrapovic Evolution in the states (cat-back version. Akrapovic Slip-On and Evolution Midpipes).

MPE has been having some splitting issues lately that BMW apparently started noticing.

If you are going for an exhaust, don't bother with performance/HP gain because it literally doesn't matter. For me however, I will choose Akra over MPE. Akrapovic's build quality is better then MPE. Since you are in Canada, you might be able to get Akra's slip-on and midpipes w/o any issues. If you are spending onwards to 4.5k at very least, I'd just pony up a bit more and go Akrapovic. However, sound is extremely subjective so...

Don't get me wrong, there isn't any issues generally with MPE but with exhausts especially, I always trust Akrapovic first.

Last edited by Arcades; 02-26-2017 at 08:26 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2017, 08:49 PM   #3
E92Hwo2
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: M3 E92/M4 F82/M5 F10 /X5 F15/

Garage List
2013 F10 M5  [0.00]
2011 E92 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcades View Post
You can no longer officially get Akrapovic Evolution in the states (cat-back version. Akrapovic Slip-On and Evolution Midpipes).

MPE has been having some splitting issues lately that BMW apparently started noticing.

If you are going for an exhaust, don't bother with performance/HP gain because it literally doesn't matter. For me however, I will choose Akra over MPE. Akrapovic's build quality is better then MPE. Since you are in Canada, you might be able to get Akra's slip-on and midpipes w/o any issues. If you are spending onwards to 4.5k at very least, I'd just pony up a bit more and go Akrapovic. However, sound is extremely subjective so...

Don't get me wrong, there isn't any issues generally with MPE but with exhausts especially, I always trust Akrapovic first.
Yah I do agree with u the quality AK with no doubt but What do you mean by splitting issue lately with M performance exhaust ? Thx ~
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2017, 08:52 PM   #4
Arcades
In The Rain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by E92Hwo2 View Post
Yah I do agree with u the quality AK with no doubt but What do you mean by splitting issue lately with M performance exhaust ? Thx ~
It's over the forums here but, the exhaust canisters are splitting for quite a few forum members. You can just search on the forums here and it will pop up, or just scroll through this sub-thread and find it.

http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1296326
      02-26-2017, 09:18 PM   #5
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
Akra rear section only will not get you any more power gains than the MPE. Going the Evo route makes the car no longer "street legal". I don't know how it is in BC, but here in Quebec, voluntarily bypassing emissions control gets you a rather steep fine.

The advantage of the MPE, when purchased and installed at the dealer, is a warranty that matches the vehicle or 2 years, whichever is the longest. So if it does crack or you have any other issue with it, you get a brand new one without any hassle.

Previous cars: M4cs 2019 F82 Limerock Grey / M4 2015 F82 Silverstone / M3 2008 E92 Silverstone / M3 2002 E46 Carbon Black
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2017, 10:22 PM   #6
ronanz
Gettin It Figured Out
United_States
Rep
Drives: 435i FBO PS2 bm3 w/ options

Is the MPE no longer a rebranded Akrapovic? .

My Build Thread can be found HERE
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2017, 11:10 PM   #7
Bluer2
Captain
Rep
Drives: F80

M Performance
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2017, 11:31 PM   #8
Justin.AutoTalent
Banned
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronanz View Post

That's only for M5/M6
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2017, 11:50 PM   #9
Arcades
In The Rain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronanz View Post

Justin is right.

MPE for the F10/F12/F13 (M5/M6) are made by Akrapovic. It says on the exhaust since Akra branded it. BMW allowed them to I suppose.

MPE for the F80/F82/F83 (M3/M4) are not made by Akrapovic. It is straight OEM.
      03-15-2017, 01:30 PM   #10
d4vid
Private
Rep
Drives: F82 MPE

MPE.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2017, 02:59 PM   #11
Foxyy
Private First Class
Germany
Rep
Drives: F82 M4 LCI

Quote:
It's over the forums here but, the exhaust canisters are splitting for quite a few forum members. You can just search on the forums here and it will pop up, or just scroll through this sub-thread and find it.

http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1296326
Really? I thought they would have learned from the issues with the E9X M3 exhaust, I guess thats worth a facepalm...
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2017, 06:14 PM   #12
domino_z
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F-Pace SVR

I went mpe because I preferred the sound slightly and also the warranty aspect of it being a genuine part

Yeh a handful of the thousands they've sold have split, but if you're one of the unlucky bmw will give you a loan car while they replace it (if you're smart and buy and fit through dealer)

That kind of peace of mind just doesn't exist in aftermarket
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2017, 08:11 PM   #13
horsepower_and_hounds
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by domino_z View Post
I went mpe because I preferred the sound slightly and also the warranty aspect of it being a genuine part

Yeh a handful of the thousands they've sold have split, but if you're one of the unlucky bmw will give you a loan car while they replace it (if you're smart and buy and fit through dealer)

The warranty is nice but it is limited to 2 years..... Oh and mine cracked, no warranty
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2017, 08:39 PM   #14
Arcades
In The Rain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by domino_z View Post

You get a safer product with Akrapovic than MPE.

You have to keep your receipt and work sheet to retain the limited warranty, although having a good relationship with your dealership helps.
      03-15-2017, 08:53 PM   #15
domino_z
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F-Pace SVR

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehagerty View Post
The warranty is nice but it is limited to 2 years..... Oh and mine cracked, no warranty
was it purchased and installed by a bmw dealer?
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2017, 08:59 PM   #16
dr.mba
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 F. Grey M3 ZCP

I believe BMW tries to shaft people when they can. I think ehagerty bought said car with MPE installed by dealership but it is now considered used. Apparently warranty doesn't transfer over to new owner. I know I read someone's story it was put this way. If you're the original owner and buy and install at a BMW dealership you have ZERO worries.

M
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2017, 09:44 PM   #17
grundlehunter
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3

Quote:

What did you mean by that? Are they recalling the exhausts for the quite obvious manufacturer defect? Last I was aware people are still having a hard time even getting them replaced under warranty unless they were installed at a BMW dealer, they have the receipt and it's within 2 years.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2017, 09:46 PM   #18
grundlehunter
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.mba View Post
I believe BMW tries to shaft people when they can. I think ehagerty bought said car with MPE installed by dealership but it is now considered used. Apparently warranty doesn't transfer over to new owner. I know I read someone's story it was put this way. If you're the original owner and buy and install at a BMW dealership you have ZERO worries.

M
Within 2 years, after that, WHEN it cracks... its all your responsibility.

it's what's kept me from buying it so far.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2017, 09:51 PM   #19
dr.mba
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 F. Grey M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by grundlehunter View Post

That's interesting. I honestly don't know the time frame. I know my car had it installed at Port of entry so I assumed it should carry 4 yrs of warranty I guess I might be wrong. I will definitely be keeping an eye on the exhaust and have it replaced at any sign of cracking. Should that happen I would expect the replacement to carry another 2 yrs of warranty and so on and so forth. So I am not losing sleep over this honestly. But thanks for raising this point it is an important point to keep in mind.

M
      03-15-2017, 11:20 PM   #20
Arcades
In The Rain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
That's interesting. I honestly don't know the time frame. I know my car had it installed at Port of entry so I assumed it should carry 4 yrs of warranty I guess I might be wrong. I will definitely be keeping an eye on the exhaust and have it replaced at any sign of cracking. Should that happen I would expect the replacement to carry another 2 yrs of warranty and so on and so forth. So I am not losing sleep over this honestly. But thanks for raising this point it is an important point to keep in mind.

M
You have to be able to prove that it was installed by port. Work papers etc otherwise BMW might not warranty it.

Might be more of a case by case basis but most just have it welded by someone else to take care of it.
      03-15-2017, 11:20 PM   #21
Sleeper
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '23 BSM X5///MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by grundlehunter View Post
Quote:

M

Do you actually hunt grundle's?

For what the MPE costs, it would be the absolute last exhaust I would buy even if there was only the remotest of chances that it would crack, warranty or not.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2017, 11:38 PM   #22
Alvinized52
@ste4lthedF82
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4 SSII

Garage List
2016 BMW M4  [10.00]
Meh...So what if MPE cracks. Not sure why everyone is making such a big deal with this. I bought mine used... and got it hella cheap. I did noticed some early cracks now... But the cracks are never too severe... mostly just hairline. Its just cosmetic and doesnt affect sound or performance. At any case, its completely and easily repairable. It will cost maybe $50 or so. Save yourself the headache and dont let this matter bother you too much. MPE is still a good exhaust if you like the sound.

Find someone with a cracked MPE and ask them to sell it to you. I guarantee they will say no. Lol.
Appreciate 0