ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

04-21-2008, 09:02 PM   #1
dekaliber
Major
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4MC, '11 JCW, '18 Z06

Anybody paint their toll transponder black?

The toll transponder thing on my windshield (we have IPASS here in IL) sticks out like a sore thumb. Anybody try painting or taping theirs black without affecting the signal?
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2008, 09:34 PM   #2
ianbiz
Back in a BMW
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i Msport

we painted my uncle's black. I want to do it to ours, but my dad likes it white.
      04-21-2008, 10:01 PM   #3
BlackSapphireZ
Major
Rep
Drives: 22 GLE 53 Coupe

i only flip it out when i go through the tolls...

stays in the door pocket. no rattles, doesn't move..perfect solution
      04-21-2008, 11:01 PM   #4
dekaliber
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackSapphireZ View Post
i only flip it out when i go through the tolls...
I did that for a while and it became a pain in the ass. A lot of highways are tolled around here and it's mostly open road tolling so you don't slow down.

I'm mostly curious whether I can put some black electrical tape on it without messing with the signal...
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2008, 11:04 PM   #5
ianbiz
Back in a BMW
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i Msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by dekaliber View Post
I did that for a while and it became a pain in the ass. A lot of highways are tolled around here and it's mostly open road tolling so you don't slow down.

I'm mostly curious whether I can put some black electrical tape on it without messing with the signal...
Take a can of spray paint, and go for it. Make sure it can stick to plastic. I used some left over engine paint and a light primer.
      04-22-2008, 04:26 AM   #6
rc'Z
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i Convertible

One warning on painting it black. Sooner or later all these transponders die. When you take it back to get another one, they consider painting them or doing anything else to them as defacing them and they will charge you accordingly. Doesn't matter that the battery dying has nothing to do with the sticker comming off or the unit being painted black, it was defaced to the tune of $35. Just so you know. Cost me.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2008, 07:11 AM   #7
155MPH
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E89 Z4 sDrive28i M Performance

Garage List
I have the license plate tag (iPass option). It is black. On a black car you hardly notice it (my 328i). I have the suction cup mount for the windshield iPass for my Z4M. That way I can take it off and put it into my lock box between the seats when I park and no one can steal it. The suction cup mount is black. You can find it on ebay.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2008, 07:17 AM   #8
dekaliber
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rc'Z View Post
One warning on painting it black. Sooner or later all these transponders die. When you take it back to get another one, they consider painting them or doing anything else to them as defacing them and they will charge you accordingly. Doesn't matter that the battery dying has nothing to do with the sticker comming off or the unit being painted black, it was defaced to the tune of $35. Just so you know. Cost me.
Yeah, that's what I was thinking, which is why I was hoping to get by with some tape...but I dunno if that would affect the signal at all (I guess only one way to find out).

Quote:
Originally Posted by 155MPH View Post
I have the license plate tag (iPass option). It is black. On a black car you hardly notice it (my 328i). I have the suction cup mount for the windshield iPass for my Z4M. That way I can take it off and put it into my lock box between the seats when I park and no one can steal it. The suction cup mount is black. You can find it on ebay.
That goes on the front license plate, no? No way I would deface my car with a front license plate! (even though it's illegal not to have one) :P
Appreciate 0