Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

03-09-2017, 10:53 PM   #1
mquatro
Rep
Drives: Hellrot BMW M4

JB4 DYI?

Should I pay someone to do this or is it doable myself? I've seen the PDF which looks somewhat easy to me. However I'm still a bit scared :. Did most of you install this yourself, or did you just end up getting a pro to do it?
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2017, 11:30 PM   #2
EALm4
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: SO 16' M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mquatro View Post
Should I pay someone to do this or is it doable myself? I've seen the PDF which looks somewhat easy to me. However I'm still a bit scared :. Did most of you install this yourself, or did you just end up getting a pro to do it?
DIY. Rather than a flat head screw driver I personally recommend using picks. If you have a DCT I also recommend using "fish tape" rather than a coat hanger of some sort to get the OBDII CAN connector through the fire wall. Here's my contribution to the JB4 supplemental thread.
http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...6&postcount=69

My fuel sensor's clip actually ended up being pointed to the drivers side so I used one of the angled picks to pop the sensor off. I had to basically lay on top of the engine to get a good angle at it though.

Some tips after installing 2 of these for other people and removing mine a few times... lay the harness out to plan your install. Remove the curved weather trim that's on the aluminum strut brace and remove the two T25 screws on the coolant reservoir (then pull it straight up and push it to the side...no need to unplug it). Once you get the cf brace off and the weather trim out of the way, it'll be very clear what to do. Good luck!
Appreciate 1
      03-09-2017, 11:48 PM   #3
mquatro
Rep
Drives: Hellrot BMW M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by EALm4 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mquatro View Post
DIY. Rather than a flat head screw driver I personally recommend using picks. If you have a DCT I also recommend using "fish tape" rather than a coat hanger of some sort to get the OBDII CAN connector through the fire wall. Here's my contribution to the JB4 supplemental thread.
http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...6&postcount=69

My fuel sensor's clip actually ended up being pointed to the drivers side so I used one of the angled picks to pop the sensor off. I had to basically lay on top of the engine to get a good angle at it though.

Some tips after installing 2 of these for other people and removing mine a few times... lay the harness out to plan your install. Remove the curved weather trim that's on the aluminum strut brace and remove the two T25 screws on the coolant reservoir (then pull it straight up and push it to the side...no need to unplug it). Once you get the cf brace off and the weather trim out of the way, it'll be very clear what to do. Good luck!
Just what I needed! Thank you so much
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2017, 12:37 AM   #4
milk242
Captain
Rep
Drives: Car

The clips are a bitch to get off, tried with a flat head but that didn't work very well so I went a picked up a set up picks (http://www.harborfreight.com/2-piece...set-42159.html). Made it a lot simpler to get the clips off.
20 Tesla Model 3
23 Audi R8 (on order, never came )
Appreciate 0