ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

04-25-2008, 07:03 AM   #1
erdoran
Private
Rep
Drives: '08 Z4si

Z4si vs Infiniti G37 coupe

Flame helmet on!

After the second deal I had for a Z4si roadster got back burnered by a dealership, I got pretty frustrated (could be my problem for insisting on $1K over dealer cost--I've been slammed for this being too skinny of a deal) so went over to the dark side and decided to check out the competition. I drove an Infiniti G37 coupe and really liked the handling, power, PLUSH interior and up to date electronics. It also seems a little more practical than the Z4--whichever car I buy will be my only car, and I live in the Philly area (read--cold winters and a little snow).

The G37 has poorer gas mileage (real life I'd guess I can count on 17-20 mpg). I probably could get away with the stock tires because they are all season; I know for the Z4 I'd be replacing the tires this fall.

It's guaranteed convenience for service with valet pickup/dropoff, free loaner, and the dealership is less than 5 miles from my house. For the Z4 the closest dealership is one that really jerked me around badly and I'm not sure about using their service dept--next closest is 10 miles away through heavy traffic. The one I would buy from is 90+ miles away and not practical for service because of the distance.

Having said all that, I really love the look of the Z4 and having that top down! I like the drive & the feel of the road. IF the deal I have goes through (sales guy called me yesterday after leaving me to stew for 2 weeks, I haven't returned his call) I'll have $1K over dealer cost and MF/acquisition at buy rates. I would hold off till May regardless, since I want trunk money and this is an order, so I'd have to see what will be available for trunk money when I'd take delivery before committing.

anyone on this board try out the G37 and have an opinion on how the two cars compare? It might be a little stupid to go to a bimmer board and ask about a competitive car, but I figure there is a reason why everyone here has a bimmer rather than Infiniti and I'd like to know what it is--ESPECIALLY if you actually tried out the G37 before deciding. If you went the other way and are shy about posting, please PM me if you prefer.

It's a tough decision between the two cars and I need all the help I can get!

Last edited by erdoran; 04-25-2008 at 09:09 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2008, 08:51 AM   #2
jaybird124
Major
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 ZCP

wow you are a prick. No wonder the dealer's aren't clamoring for your business.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2008, 09:02 AM   #3
erdoran
Private
Rep

Excuse me, jaybird? If a dealer marks up the MF & LAF to max, sells the car at full sticker price as well as all the packs & add-ons at full markup they are just getting what the market will bear and THEY aren't pricks, right?--but if a potential buyer spends a lot of time researching a vehicle, dealer cost, other peoples' deals, etc and offers $1K profit (over invoice, MACO, training plus dealer gets to charge doc processing fee which is still more profit for them) for simply TAKING AN ORDER that makes them a prick? How long does it take for an order and setting up PC delivery? Even at four hours total for all of this, which I doubt it will be, that's $250/hr with NO OVERHEAD expense at all, no interest charged on a car on the lot, no cost for detailing the car, no cost for the full gas tank, etc.

Please explain yourself. I've seen deals posted on this and other boards with even less profit than this one--and remember, no one forces any dealer to take any deal, they are absolutely free to refuse or to counter with whatever is the minimum acceptable profit for them. If it's unreasonable to offer $1K profit then what, in your opinion, IS reasonable and would make me NOT a prick? What about being a smart, well-informed shopper is bad & unreasonable?
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2008, 09:22 AM   #4
jaybird124
Major
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 ZCP

Having no consideration for those people makes you a prick. You're a moron if you think the there's no overhead, you walked into a building. You think the CA is getting paid $1000 off your deal or even $200? $200 is enough money to do all that and put up with you. All you do is complain that they didn't stroke your ego and take your moronic deal, that's what makes you a prick, not an "informed" shopper. $1000 says you'll be ultra critical of each and every service, wash, etc. and complain any chance you get.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2008, 10:06 AM   #5
BlackSapphireZ
Major
Rep
Drives: 22 GLE 53 Coupe

how is OP being a prick? to me Jaybird you are being a jack@ss

$1000 over dealer cost? i think u can do better than that when buying a Z4.

if i had a choice...RIGHT NOW I'd get a G37. Z4 is outdated...
      04-25-2008, 10:20 AM   #6
Hawkeye
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 Coupe, '21 X3, '16 GMC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackSapphireZ View Post
how is OP being a prick? to me Jaybird you are being a jack@ss

$1000 over dealer cost? i think u can do better than that when buying a Z4.

if i had a choice...RIGHT NOW I'd get a G37. Z4 is outdated...
Boo.

I had the G37 on order (had a downpayment and everything). I was getting the first one to Iowa. Then I test drove the Z4 3.0si and I cancelled my order and got this instead. I went and drove the 37 anyway, great car actually.

It is a different class of car. I would rate it highly though, it would be my 2nd choice after the Z4
2021 BMW x30i • Phytonic Blue Metallic • Fully loaded
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2008, 11:02 AM   #7
epbrown
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M Coupe, Porsche Boxster S

Yep, a buddy of mine bought the Infiniti recently and I have to admit I was impressed. I'd have no problem owning one if the Z4MC didn't exist.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2008, 11:22 AM   #8
erdoran
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybird124 View Post
Having no consideration for those people makes you a prick. You're a moron if you think the there's no overhead, you walked into a building. You think the CA is getting paid $1000 off your deal or even $200? $200 is enough money to do all that and put up with you. All you do is complain that they didn't stroke your ego and take your moronic deal, that's what makes you a prick, not an "informed" shopper. $1000 says you'll be ultra critical of each and every service, wash, etc. and complain any chance you get.
Actually I've never been there, the entire transaction has been a couple of emails. I offered by email, they accepted by email, we discussed how we would handle the potential $trunk wouldn't be available by email, I emailed them my config, my BMWFS approval, and was waiting to see a draft sales contract before giving my deposit which is my absolute right!--and I heard nothing from them for two weeks. that's my issue, not ego stroking. It strikes me as RUDE to have a deal done and then put a ready, willing, and approved buyer on hold without an explanation. The best I got was one email saying the sales mgr was in SC and would be back 4/17--but I heard nothing until yesterday, a full week later. I hardly think common courtesy (we're waiting to see whether or not we have any left in our allocation, we'll let you know at monthend whether or not such a skinny deal is worthwhile) is ego stroking.

They TOOK my "moronic deal" already, immediately with no problem (I didn't hold a gun to their heads!), I've never walked into their building nor will I be able to use them for service or free car washes, and I've been appreciative when I could, and in fact haven't complained at all up until now. I bend over backwards to rate CAs highly if at all possible because I know their paycheck depends on it. And as far as "putting up" with me--take a look at our discussion here and tell me I'm hard to put up with. I don't go around calling people pricks or talking about moronic deals, or assuming they're nasty to deal with or would complain about every little thing. My tone in these transactions is very straightforward and businesslike and a lot more respectful than YOURS is out here in public!
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2008, 12:07 PM   #9
Brucewonder
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 yea boi

its a lil true the z4 will be outdated soon but it will still look good/new for another 3-4 years. for that price range and if you want a new car...have you looked in to the new bmw 1 series. g37 is nice imo but i love the z4 much much more. Plus the g37's are everywhere on the streets here.
      04-25-2008, 12:24 PM   #10
BigLeo48
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Z4MC

erdoran,

Having owned most brands, we went looking for new car for my wife to replace her Audi We test drove the field including the Infiniti. Nice looking car, all the bells and whistles, lots of power, good price...but decided on the Lexus IS.

I was very disappointed with the fit and finish on the Infiniti. IMHO a regular Honda is better. Some pieces did not fit together, aluminum (washi paper) very easily scratched. Weird drivetrain sounds when changing lanes at high speed. After 6 months with the Lexus, we are disappointed also. Kinda numb driving vehicle. Had rattles, poor layout...but also a very nice looking car.

Long story short, it will be a while before I ever buy a non-german car.

Big Leo
      04-25-2008, 12:52 PM   #11
Burt Reynolds
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 M Coupe

Family member has one. It is a nice car with adequate power and thank god it is RWD. Also, I would not call a Bangle Z4 dated by any stretch...people are still adopting to the flame swept lines.

As it relates to electronic gadgetry, while that is nice I cannot understand why it would be a major determinant in a drivers car which both of these aim to be.

Also, make sure you take a look at depreciation of Infinitis...depending on how often you flip cars that may be a consideration.

BTW, as it relates to driving a hard bargain- I say go for it b/c it is your money...just understand if the dealer is not jumping up and down to get your business.
2007 M Coupe w/NAV/Premium/Extended Leather, Clearbra, DICE, 4.10 BMW Motorsport Polished LSD, Active Autowerke Gen IV Headers, Supersprint Race Exhaust and X-Pipe, ESS Tuned DME, KWV3 Coilovers, Volk RE30, OEM Strut Tower Brace, Short Antenna, JL AMP, JL 10W7, Valentine V1.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2008, 02:23 PM   #12
Hawkeye
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigLeo48 View Post
I was very disappointed with the fit and finish on the Infiniti. IMHO a regular Honda is better. Some pieces did not fit together, aluminum (washi paper) very easily scratched. Weird drivetrain sounds when changing lanes at high speed. After 6 months with the Lexus, we are disappointed also. Kinda numb driving vehicle. Had rattles, poor layout...but also a very nice looking car.

Long story short, it will be a while before I ever buy a non-german car.

Big Leo

You do realize that Nissan makes Infiniti right? Honda makes Acura.

Regardless, the Infiniti interior is leaps and bounds above any Honda or Toyota. The one I drove was near flawless and much better than my Zed interior. I really want to know what you were smoking when you came to that conclusion.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2008, 06:31 PM   #13
dekaliber
Major
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4MC, '11 JCW, '18 Z06

I avoided the Infiniti G35/G37 largely for the reason that I didn't care for how it looked, and because everyone and their mother has one. Ubiquity is a huge turn off, regardless of how nice the car is.

To be fair, I test drove a G35 years ago and liked it. I'm sure the G37 is better. It's probably faster than the Z4 3.0si in a straight line.

But it doesn't have a fraction of the sex appeal of the Z4, if you ask me. If you're going to spend so much money on a car, you should get what you really want. Compromise at this point and, should anything make you disillusioned down the road, you will almost certainly regret it.

I'm surprised dealers around you are so unwilling to make a deal. I thought the deal I got was sweet until I saw what some folks here were getting for theirs, and the dealer barely made any money on mine.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2008, 07:00 PM   #14
erdoran
Private
Rep

dekaliber, as usual you said it all! Your point about compromise is excellent--much as I like my gizmos and gadgets, I've wanted a Z4 for lots of years, and if this is the end of great residuals, like I've been hearing today, then I better grab while I can. And I, too, don't understand all the flames I've gotten for my wheeling & dealing, even in this forum today. No one FORCES a dealership to take any given deal! Your deal and some of the others (like epbrown's M deal of a lifetime!) have encouraged me to push the envelope a bit.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2008, 08:13 PM   #15
pungo
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4MC-X3-35i-525i, Corrado G60

Garage List
I was going to buy a new G35, then saw the G37 was coming out. I waited for it and drove one. It's a really nice car. I took a look at the 2007 Z4 3.0si coupe and really liked it. I ended up getting the Z4 last October for around 35k fully loaded with every single option except auto trans and extended leather. The infintiy dealer would not come much off msrp since they just started getting them it. I think the z4 is much more unique than the g37 allot more fun to drive. The G37 feels big and heavy. The z4 is not my only car, I have a truck and a 1990 corrado to drive as well. I would probably not buy a z4 if it were my only ride. My wife has a 525i and a 4runner, so the z4 is my nice weather toy.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2008, 12:10 PM   #16
Artz 330
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Z4M, 335i, 135i

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
i got my M $500 over, i guess i'm a prick...
      04-26-2008, 02:55 PM   #17
erdoran
Private
Rep

Hi, the prick is back! I really appreciate everyone's comments. I slept on it a few nights and realized that, even though the interior of the G37 is IMHO much nicer, in the end, like dekaliber says, the Z4 is just SEXIER. You don't go "wow" when you see a G37 but you sure do for a z4--so I'm back out shopping monthend deals. I blew off the dealership that back-burnered me and figured if I had to pay a little more I would, so hopefully pretty soon I'll be driving the car I've wanted for the last five plus years! Thanks for setting me straight!

Signed....

the prick with the moronic deal!
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2008, 05:18 PM   #18
155MPH
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E89 Z4 sDrive28i M Performance

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by erdoran View Post
Hi, the prick is back! I really appreciate everyone's comments. I slept on it a few nights and realized that, even though the interior of the G37 is IMHO much nicer, in the end, like dekaliber says, the Z4 is just SEXIER. You don't go "wow" when you see a G37 but you sure do for a z4--so I'm back out shopping monthend deals. I blew off the dealership that back-burnered me and figured if I had to pay a little more I would, so hopefully pretty soon I'll be driving the car I've wanted for the last five plus years! Thanks for setting me straight!

Signed....

the prick with the moronic deal!
Check at BMW of Turnersville (walt whitman bridge, to 42 south)
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2008, 09:33 PM   #19
dekaliber
Major
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4MC, '11 JCW, '18 Z06

When it comes down to it, I wouldn't let a couple hundred bucks make or break a deal. Once you start driving your new Z4 that money becomes pretty immaterial. I could have gotten even a better deal from another dealer, although the coupe they had there wasn't as ideally equipped. The way my dealer treated me and the amenities the service department promised were two good reasons they ultimately won me over.

Of course, it sounds like all the dealers around you have been jerking you around... But anyway, best of luck in the coming weeks. Hope you report back with success soon!
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2008, 09:46 AM   #20
Hawkeye
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Yes, I got my 3.0si for the same price as ep got his M with similar options... but I love my car and I don't regret buying it at all.

Advice... buy it. You will love yourself for it.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2008, 03:03 PM   #21
BigLeo48
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Z4MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye View Post
You do realize that Nissan makes Infiniti right? Honda makes Acura.

Regardless, the Infiniti interior is leaps and bounds above any Honda or Toyota. The one I drove was near flawless and much better than my Zed interior. I really want to know what you were smoking when you came to that conclusion.
OK Hawkeye, I know you're pissed at me because I ripped you for whinning about your bike in a Z4 forum. But I'll put that aside and anwser your question.

First I've owned Nissans, Hondas and Acuras (My TL was a great sedan). I disagree with you about the Infiniti interiors. They had a number of G's on the lots and we went to a few lots. We found a few examples of interior moldings that did not fit properly, scratched and cheap looking parts. Next time you go a see one, use your cell phone or something somewhat hard and scratch the washi paper aluminum...it's extreemly easy to do. I also looked at a few used ones to see the wear and it's noticible. Two G's we drove had rattles right off the lot. One had a weird drivetrain sound when changing lanes at high speeds. I have three friends who just bought Hondas and the interiors (again IMHO) are superior...Acura is a knotch above the Honda as you would expect. I find (from owning them) that Lexus is best amongst the Japs. So to me Infinitis are no better than Nissans in that department. You get lots of car for the money, so something's gotta give and I feel it's quality.

I rate the Z4MC interior as very good, but not as good as AUDI or Porsche in most cases...but that's personal as they are IMHO high.

BigLeo
      04-28-2008, 05:43 PM   #22
Hawkeye
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigLeo48 View Post
OK Hawkeye, I know you're pissed at me because I ripped you for whinning about your bike in a Z4 forum. But I'll put that aside and anwser your question.

First I've owned Nissans, Hondas and Acuras (My TL was a great sedan). I disagree with you about the Infiniti interiors. They had a number of G's on the lots and we went to a few lots. We found a few examples of interior moldings that did not fit properly, scratched and cheap looking parts. Next time you go a see one, use your cell phone or something somewhat hard and scratch the washi paper aluminum...it's extreemly easy to do. I also looked at a few used ones to see the wear and it's noticible. Two G's we drove had rattles right off the lot. One had a weird drivetrain sound when changing lanes at high speeds. I have three friends who just bought Hondas and the interiors (again IMHO) are superior...Acura is a knotch above the Honda as you would expect. I find (from owning them) that Lexus is best amongst the Japs. So to me Infinitis are no better than Nissans in that department. You get lots of car for the money, so something's gotta give and I feel it's quality.

I rate the Z4MC interior as very good, but not as good as AUDI or Porsche in most cases...but that's personal as they are IMHO high.

BigLeo
First off, I have nothing against you. I take stupid comments and rants about this site with a grain of salt.

edit: screw this. I am not explaining anymore. The mere fact that you think Infiniti has a bad interior quality and your Z4 has a good interior build quality says it all.

Z4s rattle for a reason and it is because they are a true sports car with a crap interior (build quality wise)
Appreciate 0