BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-20-2017, 08:32 PM   #1
Neiman Levenson
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i M-sport

Ever wondered how to ceramic coat your downpipes? Here's an easy DIY!

Hey guys, I recently got some VRSF catless downpipes and Decided to DIY ceramic coat them because I think ceramic coating is very beneficial but too expensive to pay for from a company. I only spent about 13$ in supplies and about 1.5 hours of my time while I was tinkering on other things with my car. Im extremely pleased with the results and recommend everyone to do this on their downpipes. The benefits of ceramic coating your exhaust include resistance to rusting, more resistance to heat/able to handle heat better/ and a much longer life of your pipes.

I know some people will think this is unnecessary as downpipes are just metal and are already stainless steel but it's a good piece of mind to get them ceramic coated. Especially when considering reselling them in the future as used or if you live in an area that sees salty roads.

Here is a video on how I did it, enjoy!
      04-20-2017, 09:46 PM   #2
c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
Rep
Drives: All of them

Garage List
I think Jet Hot does a great job and doesn't cost too much. Those look great and probably keep a good amount of heat in.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2017, 07:21 AM   #3
Ric in RVA
Bergspyder
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 BMW 128i Sport 6mt

Here is a video of the ceramic coating process:

https://youtu.be/KdsAtU3VzAM?t=89

As you can see it involves magic and fire.... And parts that can withstand 750 degrees for 5 hours in the final baking process.

More info here:

http://www.thomasnet.com/articles/ch...coating-metals

Don't mean to knock the fine work you have done. But it isn't Ceramic Coating

2011 128i 6 MT Sport, 2009 Cayman 987.2, 2011 528i N52, 2018 F150 Platinum
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2017, 08:26 AM   #4
Neiman Levenson
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ric in RVA View Post
Here is a video of the ceramic coating process:

https://youtu.be/KdsAtU3VzAM?t=89

As you can see it involves magic and fire.... And parts that can withstand 750 degrees for 5 hours in the final baking process.

More info here:

http://www.thomasnet.com/articles/ch...coating-metals

Don't mean to knock the fine work you have done. But it isn't Ceramic Coating
thats a fair argument, I thought that it was a job that would only be beneficial done professionally as well too for a little bit. but check out this video, they use the same paint as I did and it withstands very well

I guess only time will tell how it holds up!
      04-21-2017, 10:34 AM   #5
drwillb
BMW Fan
United_States
Rep
Drives: e30 M3, e30 M3, e46 M3

High temp paint and ceramic coating are two very different things.

I had my e30 M3 headers done by Jet Hot many years ago and many track events ago and they still look like the day they went in. No chipping or peeling noted anywhere. The paint may withstand 750 degree heat but that's nothing. On the s14 motor you're looking at 1200 at the head. On a turbo, the downpipe will glow red when you hammer the throttle. That's well above 750.

I don't know if the rattle can option will decrease underhood heat or not but true ceramic coating will.

I do like your enthusiam and the fact you love your car. That's the most important thing.

Last edited by drwillb; 04-21-2017 at 10:40 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2017, 12:08 PM   #6
Neiman Levenson
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by drwillb View Post
High temp paint and ceramic coating are two very different things.

I had my e30 M3 headers done by Jet Hot many years ago and many track events ago and they still look like the day they went in. No chipping or peeling noted anywhere. The paint may withstand 750 degree heat but that's nothing. On the s14 motor you're looking at 1200 at the head. On a turbo, the downpipe will glow red when you hammer the throttle. That's well above 750.

I don't know if the rattle can option will decrease underhood heat or not but true ceramic coating will.

I do like your enthusiasm and the fact you love your car. That's the most important thing.
thanks for the Input. Definitely noted for next time, and I appreciate that. I think this "high temp paint" that I used although not a true ceramic coating will perform better that you'd think, the video shows it going up to 970 degrees or so without any issues and I don't think the downpipes will get nearly that hot especially on a daily driver where I may go WOT for 1-2 gears at the most then stay out of boost for the rest of my drive. I will definitely update in a few months how they hold up, so we will see!

Thanks a lot for that last part. This is my first car that I have bought fully with my own money outright with no loans, liens, etc... and I've been saving up for it since I was 16. I truly love it and can't wait to do many more mods and upgrades