EXXEL Distributions
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

05-08-2017, 01:34 AM   #1
icecreamballer
Rep
Drives: Acura TLX

Do you have a family of four and use your M3 as your primary vehicle?

Hello. I've wanted an M3 since the E46 days and I'm hoping to own a F80 in next few years. But I'm wondering, if you have a family of 4 (spouse and two kids), and use your M3 as main family car, on the weekends and etc... I'd like to know how it is. Do you have strollers in the trunk? How old are your kids? What about car seats? How is it in terms of comfort and noise for everyone? Do you go on family trips or camping with it?

I currently drive Acura TLX as my daily of about 100 mile commute and also use it as our family car. I have a wife and a 1.5 year old. I have a new baby coming in few months and my wife drives an old Toyota RAV4 so I wanna get her a new car. Either another RAV4 size like a RDX or a bigger size SUV like MDX. If M3 is fine as a family car.. I wanna get her a smaller size SUV and use M3 as our main family car. If M3 is not very good for that purpose.. maybe we should get her an MDX and use that as our main family car..

So the responses here would sort of help me decide which car to get for my wife..

I would prefer getting her a smaller SUV.. because it's more affordable.. and get me an M3 and use it as our main family car since I love driving and I'd love to drive it 7 days a week with my family in it too.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2017, 02:10 AM   #2
Superg3
Private
Rep
Drives: Tbd

I'll chime in. We have two kids under 3 and it is possible to fit 2 car seats and we can fit a double stroller in the trunk too. That being said we almost always use our MDX to haul the kids. With the stroller in the M3 there isn't much room for anything else. The MDX is much more comfortable for the kids. Rear entertainment, darker cabin (naps), softer and much quieter ride. We're also able to throw the kids bikes, groceries, shopping bags and luggage easily in the back with the stroller. The elevated height also makes it easier to buckle them in and most importantly I don't worry about the wear and tear from the cars seats, food/drinks and dirty shoes.
Appreciate 1
      05-08-2017, 05:32 AM   #3
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
The whole purpose for me buying M3/4s over the years is for them to serve as dual purpose cars: practical daily drivers and weekend track toys.

We also have 2 kids, now 3 and 6. I have been daily driving M3/4 for the past 16 years (E46/E92/F82) across all four seasons and they have served me perfectly well. When I bought my M4, we did a 4-week ED trip across Europe with the 2 kids, 6 months and 3 1/2 then. I always enjoyed seeing folks watching in awe as I packed the M4 trunk with 3 suitcases, 2 soft bags and a baby stroller while my wife was strapping the kids in their seats inside the car. We have done multiple comfortable and fun roads trips with the kids in my ///Ms (E92 and F82).

Don't hesitate one bit. An M3 serves perfectly well as a family car, that's the whole point behind it.

Previous cars: M4cs 2019 F82 Limerock Grey / M4 2015 F82 Silverstone / M3 2008 E92 Silverstone / M3 2002 E46 Carbon Black

Last edited by CanAutM3; 05-08-2017 at 07:12 AM..
Appreciate 4
Wah2778.50
SakhirM410784.50
MFNATIK3498.00
davem3fan185.50
      05-08-2017, 05:54 AM   #4
Pic18
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18' F80 Comp, Spec E46

Not to be rude, but you know the M3 is just another version of the 3 series (as far as interior space/storage) right? So if I am not mistaken the TLX is in the same class size range so it would be very similar in room to your current car. Obviously a difference in ride is likely but not sure how it could be any different in family-ing (I know that is a made up word,lol)
Appreciate 1
      05-08-2017, 07:31 AM   #5
IB M
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 MG/SO ZCP DCT

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [8.50]
2013 BMW M3  [10.00]
M3 is great for daily family duty with kids but I wouldn't take it camping or for long family trips. Bite the bullet and buy ur wife a cheap Honda minivan. Can't beat the room and ability to load it up for long trips. It's comfortable plus DVD and great reliability and resale.
I do hockey bags and all sorts of stuff in M3 but usually just short trips under 3 hours when family in tow.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2017, 07:51 AM   #6
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

We have both an M3 and a VW Jetta wagon (a diesel, soon to be turned in and replaced by a small SUV, wagon, or hatchback).

Kids were out of strollers before I got the F80, but I did transport those and folding "play pens" (or whatever they are called today) and other kid equipment in my past E93 and E46.

For my purposes, I never had the need for a larger SUV in my life. In my opinion, regardless of whether you plan to use your M3 as your "primary car" or not, I would say go with the smaller compact SUV for your wife. Like you say, its cheaper, but just as important its easier to maneuver and manage. And furthermore, you can share the primary hauler duty across both as the situation demands. Maybe you choose the M3 when you just need to carry your family and a little cargo, or you go with the SUV when you need to carry something larger, perhaps the family dog. This arrangement has worked out fine for me and my family of four.

However, this is very dependent on philosophy and lifestyle. I have friends who swear by the large SUV or minivan because they can carry so much cargo if they need to. Others have both an SUV and a minivan. It depends on what you are doing. Just as an example, if you have two kids playing hockey and either you or your wife may need to transport them to/from practice on any day, perhaps having two vehicles with larger cargo space becomes important.

Good luck with your decision.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2017, 08:24 AM   #7
AlterZgo
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 23 X3 M40i, 21 911S, 24 Taycan

I have an M3 that I daily drive and I have a family of 4 that I shuttle around in it on weekends. It's definitely roomy enough to carry 4 comfortably. But, prior to the M, I had an E60 535i M-sport 6 MT which I thought was the perfect family hauler. Perfect size, extremely comfortable, yet very sporty to drive. Sometimes, the M3 can be a bit too high strung when you want to cruise in comfort on longer family drives.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2017, 08:42 AM   #8
danniexi
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 F97 X3M Comp LCI

Garage List
The M3 is still a 3 series at the end of the day. It's the perfect daily driver.
BMW MY06 E46 325XI - GONE
Appreciate 2
f80er2056.00
SakhirM410784.50
      05-08-2017, 09:28 AM   #9
icecreamballer
Rep

Thanks everyone for your responses. As I expected I'm getting two mixed responses. I have no doubt M3 is gonna be a perfect daily car. My precious DD was s2000 for 11 years and I'm sure M3 would be just as fun and 100% more practical than s2000.

I'm wondering for the F80, how's the trunk space with strollers? I can look up cargo capacity but I found that some car trunks due to its shape inside doesn't necessarily fit as much. From pictures it looks like the F80 trunk space is a pretty neat box which is good. My TLX trunk gets little tighter towards the back so it doesn't fit as much as it looks...

If my kids grow up do play hockey.. which is doubtful given that we live in SoCal, but I'm sure by then, I won't need strollers in the trunk so maybe those big bags for their activities would still fit I would think
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2017, 11:17 AM   #10
bradleym
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80 SS/BK DCT

Garage List
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
I have two teenagers, and the M3 is perfect for DD, school runs, etc. the trunk is indeed spacious, and even my 6' son can sit comfortably in the back seat.

however, my wife has a new XC90, and whenever we're all going anywhere (especially out of town) I always lose the argument. complaints range from noise (especially, but not exclusively, with summers on...) to bums and backs hurting after 60 minutes -- whoever is sitting in the back is not particularly happy, so bear that in mind. The Volvo has loads of space, beautiful (and comfortable) seats and the ride quality and noise levels are hard to beat, even with 20-inch rims and 275s all round.

after 1.5 years my ///M has ~8500 miles on the clock, whereas the Volvo has >15k after less than a year. thankfully, the Volvo has ~325 HP and is surprisingly nimble for being battleship-sized....

Quote:
Originally Posted by icecreamballer View Post
Hello. I've wanted an M3 since the E46 days and I'm hoping to own a F80 in next few years. But I'm wondering, if you have a family of 4 (spouse and two kids), and use your M3 as main family car, on the weekends and etc... I'd like to know how it is. Do you have strollers in the trunk? How old are your kids? What about car seats? How is it in terms of comfort and noise for everyone? Do you go on family trips or camping with it?

I currently drive Acura TLX as my daily of about 100 mile commute and also use it as our family car. I have a wife and a 1.5 year old. I have a new baby coming in few months and my wife drives an old Toyota RAV4 so I wanna get her a new car. Either another RAV4 size like a RDX or a bigger size SUV like MDX. If M3 is fine as a family car.. I wanna get her a smaller size SUV and use M3 as our main family car. If M3 is not very good for that purpose.. maybe we should get her an MDX and use that as our main family car..

So the responses here would sort of help me decide which car to get for my wife..

I would prefer getting her a smaller SUV.. because it's more affordable.. and get me an M3 and use it as our main family car since I love driving and I'd love to drive it 7 days a week with my family in it too.
Appreciate 1
Ggeezer251.50
      05-08-2017, 12:28 PM   #11
SD ///M4
///Multiple
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Coupe | M3 | Z4M Roadster

Garage List
Quote:
Hello. I've wanted an M3 since the E46 days and I'm hoping to own a F80 in next few years.
I have no input on the kid/cargo issue, but I wanted to make sure that you know that the M3 is currently not in production and won't go back into production until July 2017 as MY 2018, at which time it will only be in production until October 2018. After that, the next gen 3/4 Series (G models) will be introduced and there will be no M3 until 2020 at the very earliest and most likely not until 2021.

So when you say "I'm hoping to own an F80 in the next few years", if you're buying new, the window to own an F80 will be closing in less than ~1.5 years. After that you will have to wait a few years for the next gen M3, or buy used.

P.S. I owned a 2000 S2000 for 13 years. Replaced it with a used 2006 Z4 M Roadster which I still own.

Appreciate 0
      05-08-2017, 12:46 PM   #12
DBACE
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 LCI

Garage List
2016 BMW M3  [10.00]
2005 CBR1000RR  [10.00]
1995 ST1100  [9.00]
2009 Camry Hybrid  [0.00]
Wink TIme is Running Out - Wait for the Frickin Lazer Beam Headlights

OP, Ode to the joys of day dreaming about that next ride. Sounds like you are far away from purchasing an M3. The above comment has it, there is not much time and it sounds like you need to ensure the wife and family are in good order for transport before you boldly go where some of us have gone before.

The F80 has been a perfect family car for me. My family typically travels in it when we go out of town. Fortunately for me, the wife and Boyz are tolerant of elevated noise levels. We are pretty comfortable, even for extended trips.

The best part of the car will be when your children...and maybe wife, tell you how the car made them tingle when you accelerate.

Don't wait to long, if your going to really do this. But, on the other side of the coin, if you do wait for the G80, you will be able to buy it out right with all the time you have to save and.....it just might have frickin lazer beam head lights.

Good luck!!
      05-08-2017, 12:54 PM   #13
icecreamballer
Rep

Yes I am aware of MY18 being last year so getting a new F80 would be hard. Perhaps I can get a low mile nice used MY18 though. I hear the next gen M3 is only automatic? Is that a verified info?
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2017, 01:02 PM   #14
itrocks4u
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80, F36, E90

It's a great car, excellent daily driver. I have one 18-month old, but i do think with the second one I would have to figure out how to fit the strollers in. I use Uppababy cruz which is a hefty stroller. So I'm thinking when the second one is on his/her way I use the Cruz for them and buy another umbrella stroller or whatever the lightweight strollers are.

With that said, I think if the RAV4 still works, keep it till it dies and essentially let it be your beater. Enjoy the M as needed.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2017, 01:10 PM   #15
jelly6elly
Private
Rep
Drives: Yes

I've got few little ones, and have a '17 M3 and a mid-sized SUV for "convenience". In addition to what everyone's saying about ample room and great DD, my kid loves the M3. Whenever I ask if he wants to be in daddy's vroomvroom or mommy's big vroom, he almost always says daddy's "vroomvroom".
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2017, 02:23 PM   #16
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
I hear the next gen M3 is only automatic? Is that a verified info?
No.

While it is currently known that the soon-to-be released F90 M5 will be automatic only, that move has been a long time coming. The manual take rate for that car has been shrinking drastically for two generations, and as a result, it has been supported only as something of an afterthought. In other words, it was time to put it to bed. The M3 and M4 on the other hand have a healthy (if slowly shrinking) manual market. My money is on it being there for at least one more generation.
Appreciate 1
myzmak2415.00
      05-08-2017, 02:26 PM   #17
SuspectisHatless
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3

Before you make your decision I would consider if 1) the noise level is OK for family, as its a loud car even with the enhanced engine audio disconnected, and 2) how are the roads where the car will be driven, as the stiff ride can be nauseating for passengers on beat up, bumpy road conditions.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2017, 07:57 PM   #18
///M-er-gized
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i

My kids are in college; plus I just bought my wife a brand new Subaru Outback, so I really don't need a 4 door sedan. However, it is nice having 4 doors and a reasonably comfortable back seat. I drive my car to and from work, and take the Outback when the weather is crappy outside. I wouldn't classify my car as our primary vehicle, but I do believe it can serve in that role if it came down to that.

Obviously compared to a Porsche 911 or a Corvette, it's much more family friendly than those.
      05-09-2017, 12:34 AM   #19
backagain
just a fool
China
Rep
Drives: 2016 SO coded M3

For trunk space, I can fit my golf bag diagonally without taking out the driver. So I think a stroller or two would fit just fine. (My stroller memory is fading as my boys are now teenagers.)

Between our M3 and MDX, 95% of the extended trips are logged by the MDX, primarily because everyone likes the extra leg room, cabin and trunk space.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2017, 11:25 AM   #20
secretariat
Major
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5M

My kids are now 6'4' and 6' this is one of the reasons I got rid of my M3. If your two kids are still young and under 5'10" then you should have no problems. Once they get taller than that it might become a hassle on long journeys. Also if they are very young the trunk is ample for strollers and such but that's it. Get a beater SUV for family journeys.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2017, 01:39 PM   #21
x.shell
▆ ✚✚   ▆▆▆▆▆▆
Rep
Drives: ▋ ▉▉

Quote:
Thanks everyone for your responses. As I expected I'm getting two mixed responses. I have no doubt M3 is gonna be a perfect daily car. My precious DD was s2000 for 11 years and I'm sure M3 would be just as fun and 100% more practical than s2000.

I'm wondering for the F80, how's the trunk space with strollers? I can look up cargo capacity but I found that some car trunks due to its shape inside doesn't necessarily fit as much. From pictures it looks like the F80 trunk space is a pretty neat box which is good. My TLX trunk gets little tighter towards the back so it doesn't fit as much as it looks...

If my kids grow up do play hockey.. which is doubtful given that we live in SoCal, but I'm sure by then, I won't need strollers in the trunk so maybe those big bags for their activities would still fit I would think
Uh oh. You said the S2000 word. Believe me, I love my F80 and I wouldn't trade it for an S2k ever. But if the base line for "fun car" is an S2k, there is a high probability that you will be disappointed in the F80. IMO, the F80 is a better car in every respect, but a manual S2k is a shit ton of fun to drive. In terms of space, the F80 can fit quite a lot.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2017, 07:15 PM   #22
afadeev
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
I'm wondering, if you have a family of 4 (spouse and two kids), and use your M3 as main family car, on the weekends and etc... I'd like to know how it is.
It's awesome.
Next question.

Quote:
Do you have strollers in the trunk? How old are your kids? What about car seats? How is it in terms of comfort and noise for everyone? Do you go on family trips or camping with it?
My kids grew out of strollers by the time I got F80, but we still had those when I had E90 (previous 3-series, fractionally smaller). The trunk was large enough for a Bugaboo + a standing board + umbrella stroller + 3 duffle bags.

F80 is quieter than E90, and a little more comfortable for long highway cruising. I've done trips to Canada and back (~500 miles one way) in both cars. Both worked perfectly, and shaved 1+ hours from the drive ;-).

At this point in life, I camp in hotels.
If you are a hard-core outdoor kinda family, you should be able to find more appropriate vehicles for your lifestyle than 3-series, M3 or otherwise.

Quote:
I currently drive Acura TLX as my daily of about 100 mile commute and also use it as our family car.
You may want to start by moving to fix your 100 mile commute.
That's just no good for family life.
A car wont help here.

Quote:
I would prefer getting her a smaller SUV.. because it's more affordable..

Quote:
Originally Posted by IB M View Post
M3 is great for daily family duty with kids but I wouldn't take it camping or for long family trips. Bite the bullet and buy ur wife a cheap Honda minivan. Can't beat the room and ability to load it up for long trips. It's comfortable plus DVD and great reliability and resale.
I do hockey bags and all sorts of stuff in M3 but usually just short trips under 3 hours when family in tow.
Agree on minivan recommendation.
Once "affordable" + family + camping enter the conversation, nothing beats a minivan.
You will also find that it's perfect for HomeDepot runs (can fit 8x4" drywall sheets inside!). Oh, and you can pack it with shit for drives to Florida and back, and walk down the car's length to check on the kids/grab stuff from the back at will.

a

M3 + i3 + Odyssey
Appreciate 0