Pandora Car Alarm System
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

05-16-2017, 07:58 PM   #1
Hoosierlegend
Private
Rep
Drives: M3

Car heavily damaged in accident - insurance woes

I want to come up with estimated amount I could sell the car for prior to repairs. Heaviest damage by far is in the left front wheel area but it's more extensive than that (airbags and damage along left side car).
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2017, 08:07 PM   #2
boss2k
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C

Try to get it totaled, and get another M.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2017, 08:37 PM   #3
Hoosierlegend
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by boss2k View Post
Try to get it totaled, and get another M.
Definitely the goal is to total it and I believe it qualifies personally. Being resisted by insurance. Their estimates of damage are clearly way too low and they have missed multiple obvious things anyone here would notice on a first glance. Definitely not backing down. Insurance definitely seems to try to avoid car being accurately inspected and has not sent the car to BMW service for roughly 1 month to this point despite me telling them the car has to be thoroughly inspected and to do exactly that.

Seeking alternative routes to get my complete pre-accident value back and not a returned car that is going to be way less in value and difficult to sell. It's cut and dry the other person was at fault (ridiculous mistake) with a very reliable witness not at all associated with me.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2017, 08:41 PM   #4
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Are you dealing with the other driver's insurance company or working through your insurer who can then subrogate back to the other driver's insurer?
Tobes95.00
      05-16-2017, 08:48 PM   #5
dr.mba
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 F. Grey M3 ZCP

If the other insurance is giving you the run around I would take it to either a lawyer or to your insurance company and let them handle it. Clearly if you're not at fault and airbags deployed based on what you're saying it sounds like a total loss to me.

M
Appreciate 1
Draper3460.50
      05-16-2017, 09:45 PM   #6
Draper
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M4 Comp / Macan Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.mba View Post
If the other insurance is giving you the run around I would take it to either a lawyer or to your insurance company and let them handle it. Clearly if you're not at fault and airbags deployed based on what you're saying it sounds like a total loss to me.

M
This.

No way I'm ever driving a car that had airbags deployed.
      05-16-2017, 10:53 PM   #7
Hoosierlegend
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.mba View Post

M
I'm going through my insurance. At fault individual doesn't have insurance and likely doesn't have financial resources to pay. They were however driving a rental car. Insurance associated with the rental car company claims coverage up to only 10,000 which is per them the legal minimum.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2017, 09:12 AM   #8
dr.mba
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 F. Grey M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosierlegend View Post
I'm going through my insurance. At fault individual doesn't have insurance and likely doesn't have financial resources to pay. They were however driving a rental car. Insurance associated with the rental car company claims coverage up to only 10,000 which is per them the legal minimum.
That's insane! So the rental companies charge for insurance and ask you to sign a waiver should you decline only to have a 10,000 limit for their insurance?!
I am sure your insurance company will come through. You should not have to settle for less than what you are owed!

M
      05-18-2017, 06:09 PM   #9
M3 n X5M
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5 M, 2008 e90 M3 6 MT.

OP,

Give yourself some time to see things in a better perspective. You are very fortunate to be well and healthy. I hope no one was hurt. Don't rush to solve this problem.

I totaled my 2011 M3 at my own fault in 2012. And I was very lucky to be alive and not hurt. The next morning I went to work, and told no one about it ever. The insurance company took some days to resolve. At the time, that 70k car was worth about 14 k salvage per what the insurance company paperwork showed. They figured it all out. Next, they gave me 70k to buy myself another car. I paid off the loan (owing about 45k) and got back the rest. And then I bought another car and lived another day.

I recommend you try the same. This struggle now may not be worth it later. You may be able to squeeze 1-2 k extra if you try to help estimate the cost of the car and they total it. But not if you try to total it yourself. Now if the car is not totaled by the insurance company then you may need to see if you have gap insurance so at least you can break even after repairs and sale. And in that case let them repair it, and then sell it to a dealer.

Op, you being alive is your biggest break in all this. Don't worry about the rest. It will all work out.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2017, 06:56 PM   #10
FC
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '21 F90, '23 BGTS 4.0, '21 GTI

I don't know how it works in other states but in mine there is a portion for covering underinsured drivers. So this would be covered.

Uninsured or Underinsured Motorists Coverage
Provides protection in the event that damage is caused by a motorist who has no insurance or not enough insurance to cover the loss.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2017, 09:01 PM   #11
Hoosierlegend
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FC View Post
I don't know how it works in other states but in mine there is a portion for covering underinsured drivers. So this would be covered.

Provides protection in the event that damage is caused by a motorist who has no insurance or not enough insurance to cover the loss.
Yes, I agree completely. It's not legitimate insurance otherwise. There also have been successful diminished value first party cases in my state. I think they probably intentionally do these things to see if people will settle low.

I also think it really shouldn't matter as car is really not repairable to previous condition and highly likely qualifies as total loss too.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2017, 10:37 PM   #12
EABbGD
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: GT350

Quote:
Originally Posted by FC View Post

So Un/Underinsured (UM) coverage is for bodily injuries, not property damage. It is effectively a 1st party coverage should you be injured by another driver who lacks sufficient coverage. OP's own comprehensive/collision coverage would cover any property damage regardless of fault should he not want to pursue or deal with trying to pursue a 3rd party claim against the at-fault driver. Op's carrier would then likely attempt to recover what they paid (subrogate) from the at-fault driver or rental company and something tells be they had more than $10k in assets/funds if they are a national chain.

Quote:
Definitely the goal to total it and I believe it qualifies personally. Being resisted by insurance. Their estimates of damage are clearly way too low and they have missed multiple obvious things anyone here would notice on a first glance. Definitely not backing down. Insurance definitely seems to try to avoid car being accurately inspected and has not sent the car to BMW service for roughly 1 month to this point despite me telling them the car has to be thoroughly inspected and to do exactly that.

Seeking alternative routes to get my complete pre-accident value back and not a returned car that is going to be way less in value and difficult to sell. It's cut and dry the other person was at fault (ridiculous mistake) with a very reliable witness not at all associated with me.
Quote:
Yes, I agree completely. It's not legitimate insurance otherwise. There also have been successful diminished value first party cases in my state. I think they probably intentionally do these things to see if people will settle low.

I also think it really shouldn't matter as car is really not repairable to previous condition and highly likely qualifies as total loss too.
Not sure what state you are in but in many states 1st party insurers do not owe diminished value (FL for example).

OP you mentioned that the rental car company is saying they only have $10k in coverage. Not true. If the at-fault was a rental car and the driver individually does not have their own coverage the rental car company is still responsible. Say for instance you lent your car to an uninsured buddy and they caused an accident. You are responsible. Same principle applies to the rental company.
Appreciate 1
RickFLM410981.00
      05-19-2017, 05:55 AM   #13
brian30tw
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80 delivered in Munich

For what it's worth, my parents just won a large diminished value claim from a major insurance company in Arizona after my dad's 5er suffered frame damage in a rear end collision but was not totaled. I'd look into it at least if I were you.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2017, 12:11 PM   #14
skyline408
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 G80 M3 2022 F95 X5M

Who is your insurance carrier?

Do you have pics of the damage?

The % of damage needed to total a car is spelled out in your insurance documents, you should check that..
Appreciate 0