ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

05-01-2008, 11:08 PM   #1
Dammmittt
My favorite sign.
South Korea
Rep
Drives: 2007 M Coupe

Lightbulb Launch Event

So, I attended a launch event for the M3, 1 series, X6 today at my BMW dealer today.

First of all, it was a much bigger and crazier event than I was expecting. The place was PACKED, and they had free wine/beer, food, and were passing hors d'oevres (sp?). They also gave out some prizes and whatnot that weren't that exciting (probably cuz I didn't win HAHAHA). Overall it was a pretty good event and was pleased that we attended, though it would have been more fun if some of my friends were willing to brave the rush hour traffic...oh well, their loss.

So the cars...I'll start with my favorite. Which, obviously was the M3. At first I wasn't that impressed visually...but the more I stood around it and took it in, the better it looked. I like the hood alot, and the 19 inch alloys are also very nice. The CF roof is gorgeous...and I'm so getting one for my MC some day. HAHAHA As I was leaving I parked my MC next to one of the M3s and was expecting it to not even be close in the looks department...however, I was surprising looking more at the M3 than my car which kind of made me angry. I think it came down to the fact that I'm used to how my car looks, and the M3 was new, shiny and different/aggressive looking. It definately has potential. Once I see 5 a day on the road, I doubt I'll feel the same.

However, I wasn't completely in love. The car is pretty massive. It's much bigger than the MC and the old M3. It just seems huge. I can't imagine it being a great track car like the old generation M3. Of course the V8 is going to make up for alot of the weight, but it just seems like it's a different kind of car, for a different kind of driver than the previous generations. I dunno .

So, the 1 series (Specifically the 135). I understand that there are a ton of rave reviews, and lots of people think it's brilliant and a ton of fun. I think that for the price, the looks and the size of the vehicle are kind of absurd. It just didn't make much sense for me to have the 135 cost nearly as much as the 335 and be smaller and uglier. I just didn't like it.

The X6 seems like it had some potential. Its great to look at from the front and rear...the profile seems a bit off to me, but I guess it's BMWs first attempt at a sport crossover type of vehicle. The inside seemed spacious, and the TTV8 version that's coming will have some serious power. I think it has some issues. For a large car it doesn't have a lot of visibility, specifically in the rear. I'd argue that it's very similar to looking out the back of the MC, maybe worse...which is wierd for a car of that size.

So, that's pretty much it. It was a pretty fun evening, and the M3 at least sparked my curiousity, and the X6 did the same for my wife. I'm tempted to get in line for a test drive to see how it goes.

07 ///M Coupe (Premium Package) Black Saphire Ext. Imola Red Int.

Best Website EVER!
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2008, 12:24 AM   #2
RCNet
Woof!!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 Ti Silver Z4 M Coupe

I've just RSVP'ed for a similar launch event at my local dealer on May 8th. Both my wife and I are eager to look at the X6. The lease on her 5 series wagon is up at the end of the year and this is definitely within the realm of possible replacements if we like it.

While the M3 is a little bigger and has more whiz-bang gadgets, it can still hold it's own in the sport sedan category. Have you seen the Top Gear shootout between the M3, the AMG C63 and Audi RS4? It's priceless!!

Part 1:

Part 2:
      05-02-2008, 01:46 AM   #3
Hawkeye
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 Coupe, '21 X3, '16 GMC

Garage List
hmmm, from that review I'd take the C63... Sounds like more fun
2021 BMW x30i • Phytonic Blue Metallic • Fully loaded
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2008, 02:05 AM   #4
Brucewonder
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 yea boi

ive seen the new m3 n 1 series in person. both look fantastic but the m3 just looks like a fancier e92(not that i dont mind having one). The 135i on the other hand looks GREAT. i can see the modding potential in that badboy and it doesnt look too shabby - but the asking price now for the 1 is pretty high, rather save up a lil more n get a used 996 turbo
      05-02-2008, 08:36 AM   #5
Dammmittt
My favorite sign.
South Korea
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCNet View Post
I've just RSVP'ed for a similar launch event at my local dealer on May 8th. Both my wife and I are eager to look at the X6. The lease on her 5 series wagon is up at the end of the year and this is definitely within the realm of possible replacements if we like it.

While the M3 is a little bigger and has more whiz-bang gadgets, it can still hold it's own in the sport sedan category. Have you seen the Top Gear shootout between the M3, the AMG C63 and Audi RS4? It's priceless!!

Part 1:

Part 2:
Yeah, I've seen it. I think a problem I have with the M3 is the notion of making of 4 door sedan version, and on top of that the Coupe version is longer!! Doesn't make any sense to me

Best Website EVER!
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2008, 08:47 AM   #6
AtoB
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M

thanks for the heads up!
where was it?
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2008, 09:49 AM   #7
Dammmittt
My favorite sign.
South Korea
Rep

Peabody, Sorry man

Best Website EVER!
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2008, 03:29 PM   #8
RichardTS
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i E92 & Z4 M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dammmittt View Post
So, I attended a launch event for the M3, 1 series, X6 today at my BMW dealer today.

First of all, it was a much bigger and crazier event than I was expecting. The place was PACKED, and they had free wine/beer, food, and were passing hors d'oevres (sp?). They also gave out some prizes and whatnot that weren't that exciting (probably cuz I didn't win HAHAHA). Overall it was a pretty good event and was pleased that we attended, though it would have been more fun if some of my friends were willing to brave the rush hour traffic...oh well, their loss.

So the cars...I'll start with my favorite. Which, obviously was the M3. At first I wasn't that impressed visually...but the more I stood around it and took it in, the better it looked. I like the hood alot, and the 19 inch alloys are also very nice. The CF roof is gorgeous...and I'm so getting one for my MC some day. HAHAHA As I was leaving I parked my MC next to one of the M3s and was expecting it to not even be close in the looks department...however, I was surprising looking more at the M3 than my car which kind of made me angry. I think it came down to the fact that I'm used to how my car looks, and the M3 was new, shiny and different/aggressive looking. It definately has potential. Once I see 5 a day on the road, I doubt I'll feel the same.

However, I wasn't completely in love. The car is pretty massive. It's much bigger than the MC and the old M3. It just seems huge. I can't imagine it being a great track car like the old generation M3. Of course the V8 is going to make up for alot of the weight, but it just seems like it's a different kind of car, for a different kind of driver than the previous generations. I dunno .

So, the 1 series (Specifically the 135). I understand that there are a ton of rave reviews, and lots of people think it's brilliant and a ton of fun. I think that for the price, the looks and the size of the vehicle are kind of absurd. It just didn't make much sense for me to have the 135 cost nearly as much as the 335 and be smaller and uglier. I just didn't like it.

The X6 seems like it had some potential. Its great to look at from the front and rear...the profile seems a bit off to me, but I guess it's BMWs first attempt at a sport crossover type of vehicle. The inside seemed spacious, and the TTV8 version that's coming will have some serious power. I think it has some issues. For a large car it doesn't have a lot of visibility, specifically in the rear. I'd argue that it's very similar to looking out the back of the MC, maybe worse...which is wierd for a car of that size.

So, that's pretty much it. It was a pretty fun evening, and the M3 at least sparked my curiousity, and the X6 did the same for my wife. I'm tempted to get in line for a test drive to see how it goes.
My impressions similar to yours with the M3. The mags, however, love it. I would like to see some personal experience on this forum.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2008, 03:44 PM   #9
F87LUV
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 M2, '23 GT4

Garage List
2023 Porsche GT4  [5.00]
2016 BMW M2  [8.66]
m coupe for liiiiiiiiiiiiife, forget the m3...yes its sexy but not as sexy as the coupe
      05-02-2008, 04:51 PM   #10
dekaliber
Major
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4MC, '11 JCW, '18 Z06

I'm with you. The M3 is a big honking pile of sex but it just didn't speak to me. Honestly, at that size, I'd probably take an Audi S5 over it, even if it didn't drive as well.

I'm probably in the minority here, but I would really like to see them make a 135i hatch.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2008, 04:59 PM   #11
Dammmittt
My favorite sign.
South Korea
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardTS View Post
My impressions similar to yours with the M3. The mags, however, love it. I would like to see some personal experience on this forum.
I might take it for TD soon. Not sure if I remember how to drive something so massive tho

Best Website EVER!
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2008, 11:28 AM   #12
RichardTS
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i E92 & Z4 M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dammmittt View Post
I might take it for TD soon. Not sure if I remember how to drive something so massive tho
There is only about 350-400 lb difference in weight between the two. My 335 feels pretty light on its feet so, while there will be a difference, the dofference is slight.

I drove an MGB (almost 1,000 lbs lighter than an M roadster) for 30 years and the M actually feels WAY more massive than the MG. By the way, an MGB is a very tossable car. Nowhere near the power but a lot of fun nonetheless.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2008, 12:47 PM   #13
Dammmittt
My favorite sign.
South Korea
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardTS View Post
There is only about 350-400 lb difference in weight between the two. My 335 feels pretty light on its feet so, while there will be a difference, the dofference is slight.

I drove an MGB (almost 1,000 lbs lighter than an M roadster) for 30 years and the M actually feels WAY more massive than the MG. By the way, an MGB is a very tossable car. Nowhere near the power but a lot of fun nonetheless.
I know the M3 is very light for it's size. By massive, I referring to the volume it encompasses...it's much longer and wider than my baby MC.

Best Website EVER!
Appreciate 0