ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

05-02-2008, 03:23 PM   #1
RichardTS
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i E92 & Z4 M

iPod - Dice vs OEM BMW for M Roadster

What is the general consensus - which is better - the Dice iPod kit or the OEM BMW accessory?
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2008, 12:39 AM   #2
bras0782
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90 320i SE

Although I don't have one yet, I'm looking to buy one myself. One thing I've read universally is that the BMW iPod kit leaves you wanting.

I'm looking at getting either the Dice or the Dension Gateway.

If you have sat nav (I don't) I've read the Intravee 2 + Alpine is the best option, but also the priciest.
      05-03-2008, 04:34 PM   #3
wrh3
Car Guy
Rep
Drives: 2005 MCS, 2013 Corvette 427

Quote:
Originally Posted by bras0782 View Post
If you have sat nav (I don't) I've read the Intravee 2 + Alpine is the best option, but also the priciest.
Yes and Yes

Bill- 2005 Mini Cooper S, 2013 Corvette 427
www.billswebspace.com/bmwindex BMW CCA Member # 389948
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2008, 05:47 PM   #4
soeharyo
lettuce
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2003 BMW Z4 3.0i

I have dice but since i've upgraded my ipod to the new nano, i am not able to select the songs through my ipod clickwheel.

bought the dice around last year
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2008, 09:20 AM   #5
dngrCharlie
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW Z4 3.0si Silver Grey

This is an alternative answer for the OP.... I was going to get the DICE interface and did a lot of research into it including downloading the instruction manual and pulling apart the carpet in back in anticipation of getting the thing. In the mean time I just had my iPod hooked up to the aux input using a special cable that allows me to connect to its docking interface. This cable gives me a line-out signal which, IMO, is better then the headphone jack (which, I think, is EQd for headphones).

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000J022G6

Since then, I've decided (via reading other people's opinions) that I would be disappointed in the DICE unit so I've decided to keep using the Aux input. I have a mount that keeps the iPod attached to the dash and I just use the controls on the iPod. In my truck I have an iPod interface for that stereo and it's useful but the truck has a large cab. In my Zed everything is so close that I really don't feel the need.

The disadvantages of my way are you have to remove the iPod from the holder when you park for security reasons (can't permanently keep it hidden) and it does not charge although you can get something from Monster that will let you charge and listen at the same time.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00015GYTU
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2008, 10:00 AM   #6
Bammered
Track Addict
United_States
Rep
Drives: E86 Z4 ///M COUPE

Garage List
I have the DICE link and have been happy with its operation. I have mine hooked into the OEM 6 disk outlet and it means i can keep my IPOD hidden in my center console should i choose. It also allows the ipod to charge while plugged in and you get seemless intergration with the nav and steering wheel controls. And the name/artist of the songs appear on the nav screen. But i dont have a factory aux input so its not like i had an option otherwise.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2008, 11:17 AM   #7
pigbat
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 330i Electric Red

I have the DICE for my e46 and it makes me realize how convenient the AUX jack is on my e90. The DICE is buggy and using the clickwheel on the iPod is much easier.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2008, 12:14 PM   #8
Dammmittt
My favorite sign.
South Korea
Rep
Drives: 2007 M Coupe

I use my Aux in when I remember to take my Mp3 player with me...I think I'm a bit too lazy to do anything more.

07 ///M Coupe (Premium Package) Black Saphire Ext. Imola Red Int.

Best Website EVER!
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2008, 05:06 PM   #9
cardebt
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 Z4 Coupe Slvr Gry

Garage List
2007 Z4 Coupe  [7.00]
Tough call - depends on what is important to you.

As for the look, I had mine installed and mounted to the inside of the door of the cubby of my right shoulder so it is accessible, but very out of sight. Out of sight is important to me. As for functionality, it takes a little time to get used to the commands and inputs from the steering wheel and the head unit, but it isn't too difficult after time. It is buggy and if you are scrolling through your options, play-lists, artists, songs, etc. and you happen to pause of 1 full second you have made your selection like it or not and that is what you are going to hear. That feature is very bothersome. I do like the fact the song information is displayed and you can move through your music library with the steering wheel controls. It feels safer as you are not looking down as much and can keep two hands on the wheel. I had mine installed at my local dealership and they charged me $375 for the install. I thought I got taken on that, but I wasn't about to do it myself, as I know I would have screwed something else up. So all in it was about $500. I have not used the BMW port so I can't comment on it. I have spent the money and have what I have. The Dice seems to lock up and repeat the same song over until you advance it with the controls, this is very annoying. I have heard a fix is coming. I likely wouldn't do it this way again. I would probably buy the BMW unit and work it manually from the ipod and be annoyed that I had to see it in the cabin somewhere and remove and replace it for security everytime I got in and out of the car. Again, what is important to you. It seems there isn't a better way which satisfies all the wishes at this point.
07 Ford Expedition EL Limited Carbon Metallic - Active
RETIRED - 02 996 Cab -02 M Roadster -02 996 C4S -02 E46 M3 SMG - 99 Z3 2.8 - 98 Z3 2.8
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2008, 08:02 PM   #10
RichardTS
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks all. I don't think I will be getting the Dice unit or the BMW unit. I am pretty much an audio nut and generally the sound is by far the most important element. One thing I can say about the headphone out on an iPhone - it is not EQ'd for earphones. I know this because I listen to very good audio gear that doesn't even have tone controls. I know what flat sounds like. I have the best Shure earphones and the iPhone sounds flat.

Any comments on the sound quality of various units would be appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2008, 11:28 PM   #11
pigbat
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 330i Electric Red

I use one of these in my e90.

http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProdu...duct_Id=193794

The ipod plugs into this and then the aux jack plugs into the charging unit. It's nice because it has a volume pre-amp that you can leave on max so it bypasses the ipod volume. It also auto powers down your ipod when you turn off the car.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2008, 03:25 AM   #12
bras0782
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90 320i SE

Has anyone here used one the Dension Gateway range?

I like the looks of this one for my non-nav setup. Looks like you don't need to connect anything to the boot, can use any USB device, and you can have you ipod hidden in the glove box.

http://www.dension.com/icelinkgateway300.php
      05-06-2008, 04:52 AM   #13
pvr
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F85 X5M

I put in the Intravee unit, between the seats in the lower cubby hole. Perfect access for updating the unit and accessable for the iPod

Appreciate 0
      05-06-2008, 05:15 AM   #14
155MPH
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E89 Z4 sDrive28i M Performance

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dammmittt View Post
I use my Aux in when I remember to take my Mp3 player with me...I think I'm a bit too lazy to do anything more.
X2
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2008, 06:57 PM   #15
RichardTS
Second Lieutenant
Rep

If I only had an iPod, I would probably forget mine about 99% of the time. However, I connect my iPhone to my M roadster via bluetooth each time I get in the car. The primary reason I am interested in this is that I might like to have the music in my iPhone instead of carrying all my CD's.

That being said I can totally understand...
Appreciate 0