BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

05-03-2008, 05:31 AM   #1
Hammer
Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW

1200miles-Service

I believe that the american or the german carowners are fooled by the manufactures...
here is the story:

i just ordered my e92m3 ( ) and i m a person who loves scheduling... therefor i drove to my dealer today and asked him for the 1200miles service etc...
"there is no service requiered anymore"

I had a strange feeling about that already with others cars, i drove. Everytime i got told "itīs not necessary anymore"... but in this forum it apears, that the american M3īs will get the 1200miles-service and itīs necessary.

Now i ve several questions( i think we have some forum member which have some knowlegde in here):
- what exatly will be done at the "1200miles-service"
- is it necessary or not !?

If itīs necessary somethingīs wrong here in germany, otherwise in america.
Or do they use other oils etc in american m3īs ?
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2008, 06:16 AM   #2
adamr
Major
South Africa
Rep
Drives: 997 GT3 RS

Garage List
i see many owners of the DCT can not choose S6 mode with the gearbox before the 1200mile service ... i don't know if this will be the case around the world...

so im assuming you can launch control your car? (see u have a DCT from your sig)

2007 Porsche 997 GT3 RS
|PCM with NAV and GSM|Roll Cage|PCCB|Xenons|Sports Chrono Plus|PASM|Leather Pack|Silver Seat-belts|
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2008, 06:30 AM   #3
Hammer
Lieutenant
Germany
Rep

i wll ^^
my car is just ordered, i m waiting for a appointment to get the car.
Your Post means, that also the electronic will be changed with the service?
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2008, 06:56 AM   #4
adamr
Major
South Africa
Rep
Drives: 997 GT3 RS

Garage List
yes the electronic limitation regarding the selection of S6 mode is lifted once the car does its 1200mile service ... i remember the SMG's, well here in South Africa were not electronically limited from doing launch control before their 2000km/1200mile service, so i don't know if this will be the case with DCT here where i am, maybe its just a USA thing

Maybe forumites from other countries excepting the US can comment if their DCT cars are electronically limited from selecting S6 when they drive it off the showroom floor, and if they have to still do the 1200mile/2000km service ...

2007 Porsche 997 GT3 RS
|PCM with NAV and GSM|Roll Cage|PCCB|Xenons|Sports Chrono Plus|PASM|Leather Pack|Silver Seat-belts|
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2008, 07:04 AM   #5
bher
Enlisted Member
Belgium
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 - 6MT - SSII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer View Post

Now i ve several questions( i think we have some forum member which have some knowlegde in here):
- what exatly will be done at the "1200miles-service"
- is it necessary or not !?

If itīs necessary somethingīs wrong here in germany, otherwise in america.
Or do they use other oils etc in american m3īs ?
There is a sticker on the engine on mine which mention the ABSOLUTE need to change oil at 1200mls.
They change engine oil (which is too thin for regular/high output use and contaminated by the running-in), the transmission oil ("pont" in french); This is for sure. They may do something else also.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2008, 07:22 AM   #6
Win-@-all-cost
Rep
Drives: BMW's

I happen to know my service tech quite well so I was able to stand next to him and watch him do the work while discussing it with him.

They change:
Oil and oil filter.
Air filter - I do not know why, mine was completely clean and it was replaced with the same part #, so it was not a special “break in filter.”
Tranny fluid and fluid filter that goes between the pump and cooler. This fluid appeared to be normal fluid, same color and thickness as what went back in there.
Diff fluid. It definitely needs to be changed. There is a special fluid in there just like in the E46 m3 diff. It came out BLACK and thick.

Also, they hook up to the car and check for codes and reset the service schedule in the computer and send updates if/when necessary.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2008, 08:18 AM   #7
Hammer
Lieutenant
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Win-@-all-cost View Post
I happen to know my service tech quite well so I was able to stand next to him and watch him do the work while discussing it with him.

They change:
Oil and oil filter.
Air filter - I do not know why, mine was completely clean and it was replaced with the same part #, so it was not a special “break in filter.”
Tranny fluid and fluid filter that goes between the pump and cooler. This fluid appeared to be normal fluid, same color and thickness as what went back in there.
Diff fluid. It definitely needs to be changed. There is a special fluid in there just like in the E46 m3 diff. It came out BLACK and thick.

Also, they hook up to the car and check for codes and reset the service schedule in the computer and send updates if/when necessary.
okay, i summarize:

- The engine oil&oilfilter will be changed
- The Oil/filter of the transmission will be changed( is this difficult with the dct?)
- the diff fluid (what is that? the fluid for the "DIFFerencial"?^^) must be changed.

I dunno what other m3-owner in germany do ( the german m3-internet-communitymembers are very lazy writers) but i m going to give my baby all what it needs ...
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2008, 08:26 AM   #8
southlight
Moderator / European Editor
Rep
Drives: X3M

Quote:
okay, i summarize:

- The engine oil&oilfilter will be changed
- The Oil/filter of the transmission will be changed( is this difficult with the dct?)
- the diff fluid (what is that? the fluid for the "DIFFerencial"?^^) must be changed.

I dunno what other m3-owner in germany do ( the german m3-internet-communitymembers are very lazy writers) but i m going to give my baby all what it needs ...
Nothing changed since you've asked the last time.

There's a service needed at 2000 km for the M3. In German it's called "Einfahrkontrolle". The fluids you mentioned will be changed. One thing I'm not sure about is the transmission oil, which won't be changed with MT in Germany, don't know about DCT.

Best regards, south

JOIN THE 6MT CLUB GROUP
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2008, 11:37 AM   #9
Hammer
Lieutenant
Germany
Rep

did i already? i may ve a problem...

sorry for

south, may i ask you for some more details about the "Einfahrkontrolle" via pm?
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2008, 11:56 AM   #10
GregW / Oregon
Commander-In-Chief
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2 Coupe, 2020 GLE 450

Garage List
1,200 mile service

US version from Owner's service manual:

Greg Lake Oswego, Oregon, USA
2023 M2 Coupe - Brooklyn Grey/Cognac/CF, 6MT; 2020 MB GLE 450
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2008, 12:50 PM   #11
southlight
Moderator / European Editor
Rep
Drives: X3M

Quote:
south, may i ask you for some more details about the "Einfahrkontrolle" via pm?
Sure.

Best regards, south

JOIN THE 6MT CLUB GROUP
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2008, 01:24 PM   #12
skierman64
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92M3-E46M3-E46Wagon-E89Z4-E36

Garage List
1994 325is Race Car  [0.00]
2011 BMW Z4  [0.00]
1998 M3 Coupe  [0.00]
2008 M3 Coupe  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamr View Post
i see many owners of the DCT can not choose S6 mode with the gearbox before the 1200mile service ... i don't know if this will be the case around the world...

so im assuming you can launch control your car? (see u have a DCT from your sig)
I was able to select S6 before the 1200 mile sevice.